• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Did my long run early yesterday morning so I could get on it at lunchtime and not have to worry about being in a fit state to run today!! Loads of runners out along the seafront earlier, great to see.
Well done mate.
I had a run yesterday over Belfairs park and thru nature reserve, mud mud and more mud.
Next out on 27th for me.

Well done mate.
I had a run yesterday over Belfairs park and thru nature reserve, mud mud and more mud.
Next out on 27th for me.
Ta - first time I'd run 10 miles for ages and my problematic knee survived so I'm well happy!

Never tried any kind of trail running but my missus runs in Belfairs Woods a lot and often suggests I try it. Might give it a go in the new year. I had planned to go out tomorrow but I reckon the 27th is more likely for me too given how much I've eaten and drunk already today...

Ta - first time I'd run 10 miles for ages and my problematic knee survived so I'm well happy!

Never tried any kind of trail running but my missus runs in Belfairs Woods a lot and often suggests I try it. Might give it a go in the new year. I had planned to go out tomorrow but I reckon the 27th is more likely for me too given how much I've eaten and drunk already today...
I only run off road these days, so much easier on the joints.
Occasionally I try pavements just to check and invariably get knee ache.

Did my long run early yesterday morning so I could get on it at lunchtime and not have to worry about being in a fit state to run today!! Loads of runners out along the seafront earlier, great to see.

Yeah, similar round here. Hardly a car to be seen, but plenty of walkers and runners to gasp hello to.

I was also able to run in the road and therefore go in as straight a line as possible!

I'm heading out for a 14k over Hadleigh Downs tomorrow....after a good period of training leading up to November I've been very lethargic and lacking motivation since, so barely run....need a rocket up my behind to get things moving again !

I'm heading out for a 14k over Hadleigh Downs tomorrow....after a good period of training leading up to November I've been very lethargic and lacking motivation since, so barely run....need a rocket up my behind to get things moving again !

Make sure your trainers have got a good grip on them, it's quite messy there at the moment!.

Has anyone else noticed big discrepancies for timings in Strava.

If I run on waterside running track my anticlockwise runs are consistently 40% faster than my clockwise runs.

managed 3 runs over Hadleigh, total of 42k and 1300m or elevation...its very, very boggy in places over there but was good fun
I have a mate, very good runner, sub 2,30 marathons, and his training regularly used to include a run from his home near High Street Southend to Hadleigh and then 12 to 15 reps up castle hill, gate to gate and run home.
These days one rep is enough for me.

I have a mate, very good runner, sub 2,30 marathons, and his training regularly used to include a run from his home near High Street Southend to Hadleigh and then 12 to 15 reps up castle hill, gate to gate and run home.

I used to work with a guy that nearly won the London Marathon one year. It's a bit of a stretch, but he may well have won. It was the year of the Icelandic ash cloud and European airspace was shut. He happened to be the highest ranked athlete in the UK at the time. Had the airspace stayed shut (and all the elite athletes not able to fly in) he could well have won!

I was talking to him once about running. He told me about a nice route I should try out because you can fit it into a lunch break. When I got back to my desk I use google maps to work out the distance. It wasn't far short of a half marathon!

As for me, I've just completed another 10km. The time wasn't too bad either. I'm about 2 mins slower than my best outdoor 10km time, but a) that's only the 3rd time I've run 10km since my torn calf muscle, and b) I'm running a different route that is a bit longer. The best news is that I'm not even getting a twinge from my calf...

Was your mate running in mid 80's?.If so probably know him, or heard of him.

I used to work with a guy that nearly won the London Marathon one year.

Veering slightly off topic, in the 80's Southend A.C's best runner was Graham Payne from Thorpe Bay. He mainly used to run between 1-5 mile races & usually romped home in 1st place.
He decided to run the London Marathon for a one & only time in 85 or 86. He finished in 2hrs 15 mins FFS!.
My claim to fame was being mistaken for him in the 84 Basildon Marathon. I told the person you'll know i'm not him by my finishing time, which was 3hrs 22 mins that day!.

Veering slightly off topic, in the 80's Southend A.C's best runner was Graham Payne from Thorpe Bay. He mainly used to run between 1-5 mile races & usually romped home in 1st place.
He decided to run the London Marathon for a one & only time in 85 or 86. He finished in 2hrs 15 mins FFS!.
My claim to fame was being mistaken for him in the 84 Basildon Marathon. I told the person you'll know i'm not him by my finishing time, which was 3hrs 22 mins that day!.

That begs the question why he didn't take it up full time.

Back