• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

Just finished a 10km run. 2 minutes 19 seconds quicker than last week. I really had to convince myself to continue: I basically do 2 loops round the village we live in. About half way I am literally 20m from home and have to turn the other way. Given how badly I thought I was doing I was very close to stopping.

The time was a bit of a surprise, but saying that, last week was very slow since it was the 1st 10km for about 4 weeks...

Either way, I'm just happy that I forced myself to do the whole thing.

Did 12km along the second front on Saturday
Furthest I’ve run in 6 months ( and second longest in a year)
First time I have ever run along seafront
But best off all ran with my daughter ( on her birthday). Totally priceless

The 2nd front? I take it you managed to avoid the bombs and bullets, or was it all quiet?

Hope we will get the SZ parkrun together soon.
Which run to do?
Hadleigh for parking and space, plus may be mid placed for more people?

Hadleigh, Hockley and Shoebury all work for me.
Me too, Hockley can be rammed, Shoebury has parking issues and is full east of area, Hadleigh seems central, however just before lockdown a new PR was in the offing for Chalkwell promenade which could be good for many.

Hadleigh is very hilly....Park runs will be absolutely packed for the 1st few weeks back....if we do a SZ one I suggest waiting a few weeks

Well that’s my running over for a few months, played football yesterday for Rochford v Railway and managed to do all my ankle ligaments, last time I did this so badly was some 29 years ago, brings back so many bad memories with the pain, gonna be a few restless nights coming up, last time it took some 6-8 months to heal properly, that’s my football days over for good now, I’ll just stick to the running from now on:Scared:

Well that’s my running over for a few months, played football yesterday for Rochford v Railway and managed to do all my ankle ligaments, last time I did this so badly was some 29 years ago, brings back so many bad memories with the pain, gonna be a few restless nights coming up, last time it took some 6-8 months to heal properly, that’s my football days over for good now, I’ll just stick to the running from now on:Scared:

I hope you recover soon. The sad fact is that the older you get the slower you recover, and the quicker you lose your fitness. It'll be a long hard road, but (if you make the assumption that at some specific date in the future you'll be fit again) then you're already on the road to recovery.

Last edited:
I hope you recover soon. The sad fact is that the older you get the shower you recover, and the quicker you lose your fitness. It'll be a long hard road, but (if you make the assumption that at some specific date in the future you'll be fit again) then you're already on the road to recovery.
Cheers :Thumbs up:

Just getting belatedly trying to get fit. Been losing weight doing Joe Wicks for seniors and am now starting the couch to 5k recommended by a neighbour who I don't think has yet started. A bit unfair ?. Question is has anyone done it. I know Mad Cyril was thinking about it. By the way the health kick was triggered by high blood pressure now under control. I have not run for years after playing football did my knees but I was surprised that I could eventually run on the spot with Joe Wicks which I couldn't do at the beginning. Advice welcome.

Just getting belatedly trying to get fit. Been losing weight doing Joe Wicks for seniors and am now starting the couch to 5k recommended by a neighbour who I don't think has yet started. A bit unfair ?. Question is has anyone done it. I know Mad Cyril was thinking about it. By the way the health kick was triggered by high blood pressure now under control. I have not run for years after playing football did my knees but I was surprised that I could eventually run on the spot with Joe Wicks which I couldn't do at the beginning. Advice welcome.
I've been running for just over 4 years and I started with couch to 5k. It's a great way to start, I found that I'd well and truly caught the running bug by the time I got to 5k. When I started running I was 44, overweight, and had done pretty much zero exercise for the preceding 30 years. If I can do it, anyone can! If you've had knee trouble before then all I'd advise is that you take it really easy.

One of the good things about week 2 was she told you how to run. So far with my knees I was on tip toes as running on my heels was jarring. She also had advice on breathing. So far the knees are holding up with the heal running but I have to say I'm doing it very gingerly..

One of the good things about week 2 was she told you how to run. So far with my knees I was on tip toes as running on my heels was jarring. She also had advice on breathing. So far the knees are holding up with the heal running but I have to say I'm doing it very gingerly..

Good luck with this.

One word of caution, if you feel anything hurting stop running.

Unlike my stupid self who ignored the pain as just 'old age' and I've now been diagnosed with an adductor tear and have not been able to do any exercise including my beloved footy for three months.

Still under the physio and going for a second opinion as it's not getting better.

Good luck with this.

Unlike my stupid self who ignored the pain as just 'old age' and I've now been diagnosed with an adductor tear and have not been able to do any exercise including my beloved footy for three months.

Still under the physio and going for a second opinion as it's not getting better.
Don't worry at my age I'm taking it very very slowly.

Good luck with this.

It's funny. We all give out that advice, but I'm pretty sure we all never take it! I did the same not too long ago. I felt a sharp pain in my calf about 1/3 of the way into a 10km run but managed to finish. Turns out I'd torn my calf muscle, and at my age that took a long time to heal.

Last edited:
I'm taking most of my advice from the NHS website which I think is brilliant. I think half the population would blanch at the advice especially on weight. Doctors must pull their hair out at some of their patients. I used their BMI calculator and am no means fat. But I wasn't too far away from obese.

Back