• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hamburgshrimper

Youth Team
There's an article in the Guardian today about the Tories re-considering the future of safe standing at football grounds all over the country. The premier league have obviously come out and opposed it, but there could be hope for the rest of us:

www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/22/terracing-government-reintroduce-standing

The Football Supporters federation have launched an online petition so if you want a proper atmosphere at Fossetts, this could be an opportunity to push the campaign further forward. Didn't Ron come out in favour of this a while back? Could be an opportunity to at least make the stands at fossett's at least accomodate it if it were introduced:

www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php?page=sign&id=signature_id|desc|0|

Football hasn't been the same since they were knocked down.

There's an article in the Guardian today

Are you BarnaBlue in disguise? :winking:

On a serious note, I think Ron said in one of his blogs that there could be a standing section, and possibly used an elaborate graph to show it as well!

No, don't come on here often, just thought it'd be an opportunity for those how complain about the atmosphere at Roots Hall to actually do something about it.

No, don't come on here often, just thought it'd be an opportunity for those how complain about the atmosphere at Roots Hall to actually do something about it.

Just a little joke as BarnaBlue is always putting links from the Guardian on here, so no offence intended. Have to admit that I am too young to know whether or not the atmosphere will be better or not with or without a standing section, so I'll let some of the older posters put their views up.

I would like to see a safe drinking (alcohol) section similar to that at Rugby games... Would have to be away from the away fans and family area, so probably our East black. Soft plastic containers etc.

This would be better than safe standing as clubs revenue would increase due to increased alcohol sales, whereas under safe standing clubs revenue may decline as standing seats would presumable be cheaper...

As chapperz said i am also too young to say whether the atmosphere will be better standing or seated but would love to try out the standing section/

You have to laugh at the Premier League clubs opposing safe standing, thousands of their fans stand at every game and not a blind thing is done about it. Whereas I seem to recall when half a dozen people or so stood up in the West Stand a season or two ago Southend were threatened with ground closure.One rule for the Premier League anohter for the rest of us.

You have to laugh at the Premier League clubs opposing safe standing, thousands of their fans stand at every game and not a blind thing is done about it. Whereas I seem to recall when half a dozen people or so stood up in the West Stand a season or two ago Southend were threatened with ground closure.One rule for the Premier League anohter for the rest of us.

And at Spurs in the cup games we were repeatedly told to sit while the entire Shelf stood.

Are you BarnaBlue in disguise? :winking:

On a serious note, I think Ron said in one of his blogs that there could be a standing section, and possibly used an elaborate graph to show it as well!

I'm guessing the standing section will consist of some people standing along the Western side of the pitch in our stadium with three stands!!

That's what makes me laugh. You look at any game at Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Emirates etc, you have probably a good 15,000 plus all standing every game. Yet the PL do not come down on them, even though they deem it "unsafe" and what other bollox they come out with.

It is clear that a huge percentage of football fans want a standing section. Every other bloody country around the world manages it, without any "incidents"

Football in this country has lost it's feel, it is no longer fun. It's just become a habit ruined by money hungry imbeciles, that are a million miles out of touch with the real fan.

Football as we know it has gone. Unfortunately it will never ever be the same again.

There's no sadder sight in football than middle aged blokes standing up in seated football stadia purely for the sake of standing up, arms folded, not singing or chanting. Sort of undermines the argument about atmosphere when you see (but don't hear) that.

There's no sadder sight in football than middle aged blokes standing up in seated football stadia purely for the sake of standing up, arms folded, not singing or chanting. Sort of undermines the argument about atmosphere when you see (but don't hear) that.

Yeah, but why shouldn't people be given the choice anyway, regardless of whether they want to sing or not? Feel a bit sorry for the people on here that don't remember the North Bank

That's what makes me laugh. You look at any game at Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Emirates etc, you have probably a good 15,000 plus all standing every game. Yet the PL do not come down on them, even though they deem it "unsafe" and what other bollox they come out with.

It is clear that a huge percentage of football fans want a standing section. Every other bloody country around the world manages it, without any "incidents"

Football in this country has lost it's feel, it is no longer fun. It's just become a habit ruined by money hungry imbeciles, that are a million miles out of touch with the real fan.

Football as we know it has gone. Unfortunately it will never ever be the same again.

Amen my man, couldn't agree more. I wasn't even fortunate enough to see real football years ago so im royally screwed!

As in so many things, hypocrisy rules.
(and can I just add that that is a ******* word to spell!)

I have been to west ham a few times with friends as they are season ticket holders. The whole end behind the goal(home end) stands for the whole game. Not once are you told to sit down, so it does seem one rule for us and one rule for them

That's what makes me laugh. You look at any game at Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Emirates etc, you have probably a good 15,000 plus all standing every game. .

And most of them pay between £40 - £60 for the privalege of doing so! Bring back standing terraces, and they would be pressured by fans to reduce admission for this area. Thats why they wont tolerate the suggestion. Doubt many of our younger fans would have a clue what a good old fashioned 'knees up mother Brown' chant entailed?.

And most of them pay between £40 - £60 for the privalege of doing so! Bring back standing terraces, and they would be pressured by fans to reduce admission for this area. Thats why they wont tolerate the suggestion. Doubt many of our younger fans would have a clue what a good old fashioned 'knees up mother Brown' chant entailed?.
Used to love watching that from the safety of the paddock!

You do all realise, though, that with 'safe standing' you are allocated a space rather than seat and, just like reserved seating, aren't allowed to move from the space whilst watching the game unless going to the toilet or kiosk?

Back