• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sam Dalby signs

Was there ever an issue, other than what was created on here. Or was he just injured and need an op.
Something happened that didn't impress PB i think (as we know this can lead to non person status which just somehow fits here). Don't think we know why. Some have contrasted his desire to get on the pitch for the cause with Holmes, injury or not. Again no evidence but maybe it rings little true. It is possible to recover from non-person status by showing the right attitude and desire- hence I think the current status before suddenly PB starts mentioning his name as if he had been all or along (I hope) or it goes the other way.

BTW just because he\s not talking about him in interviews doesn't mean he\s not fully involved with the squad and getting plenty of communication behind the scenes?

Something happened that didn't impress PB i think (as we know this can lead to non person status which just somehow fits here). Don't think we know why. Some have contrasted his desire to get on the pitch for the cause with Holmes, injury or not. Again no evidence but maybe it rings little true. It is possible to recover from non-person status by showing the right attitude and desire- hence I think the current status before suddenly PB starts mentioning his name as if he had been all or along (I hope) or it goes the other way.

BTW just because he\s not talking about him in interviews doesn't mean he\s not fully involved with the squad and getting plenty of communication behind the scenes?
We know Brown likes players to try and come back quicker than is wise from injury "for the cause". Every player is different and they need to listen to their bodies and not the carpings of a desperate manager.

We know Brown likes players to try and come back quicker than is wise from injury "for the cause". Every player is different and they need to listen to their bodies and not the carpings of a desperate manager.
Yes and no. I've played plenty of times over the years when I probably shouldn't have. In fact if you wait to be "injury free" before you play you might never play at all. I think the last games under PB last season we were fighting for our league survival so i don't think its just our "carping" manager who will have had certain expectations. Maybe one or two of us may have had similar expectations..

Moving away from Akinola (whom this might not even apply to) I think there would be agreement even on here that the desire and commitment commensurate with our need was often missing last year.

Yes and no. I've played plenty of times over the years when I probably shouldn't have. In fact if you wait to be "injury free" before you play you might never play at all. I think the last games under PB last season we were fighting for our league survival so i don't think its just our "carping" manager who will have had certain expectations. Maybe one or two of us may have had similar expectations..

Moving away from Akinola (whom this might not even apply to) I think there would be agreement even on here that the desire and commitment commensurate with our need was often missing last year.
It wasn't just last season, Brown did similar in his previous spell. And Ron Martin has also been guilty of it (ask Stephen Humphrys), so I wonder whether there was some discontent from on high.

It just bemuses me that out of all the players that can be questioned for commitment last year (and I don't disagree there were maybe a few that could have done more), Akinola is probably the last given how patient he had to be due to the embargo, and how he played through pain despite requiring surgery.

When the physio says certain players are really not injured (not accusing Akinola) would you want your manger to keep quiet or do something about it.

Sam, I had better take it easy as I have a twinge, Mantom and Tim, so do I, Dieng are two of the many straws who broke the league camels back.

Players like that get you relegated not promoted. If the poor little cherubs want a sick note from matron they could take up morris dancing instead of football.

If Phil Brown thinks he’s good enough then that’s good enough for me.

Welcome to the club Sam, hope this is the club where your career really takes off.

Dalby, Murphy, Rush, Akinola plus one more isn’t looking too bad for front line options.
Obviously we will have to see them play, but on paper it does feel like an upgrade on what we had last season, striker wise.

When the physio says certain players are really not injured (not accusing Akinola) would you want your manger to keep quiet or do something about it.

Sam, I had better take it easy as I have a twinge, Mantom and Tim, so do I, Dieng are two of the many straws who broke the league camels back.

Players like that get you relegated not promoted. If the poor little cherubs want a sick note from matron they could take up morris dancing instead of football.
Don't disagree with this at all, I just think that equally, pulling genuinely injured players out of the treatment table before they are ready is not an acceptable tactic either.

We're well rid of the likes of Mantom and Dieng.

It wasn't just last season, Brown did similar in his previous spell. And Ron Martin has also been guilty of it (ask Stephen Humphrys), so I wonder whether there was some discontent from on high.

It just bemuses me that out of all the players that can be questioned for commitment last year (and I don't disagree there were maybe a few that could have done more), Akinola is probably the last given how patient he had to be due to the embargo, and how he played through pain despite requiring surgery.
Don’t lose sight of the fact that PB has not specifically called out Akinola for anything (that has been left to us on here). And people on here might be entirely wrong. But you are right managers under pressure do need players on the pitch- I guess see MM and Lennon/Akinola. That said I think those last 6 games were more critical than any in our history- so if there was ever a time it was then. That said again it’s still speculation (and water under the bridge, regrettably...)

Don't disagree with this at all, I just think that equally, pulling genuinely injured players out of the treatment table before they are ready is not an acceptable tactic either.

We're well rid of the likes of Mantom and Dieng.
True also- although certain players pulled themselves out of the treatment room and stuck their hands up when needed- it’s not surprising a manager wants players like Holmes, Demi and White with him in the trenches as a result. When the going gets tough and all that..

what do you expect ..we are in the sunday league now and thats all we will be able to sign... nobody with decent goal scoring record is going drop down to non league and accept £300 a week! But we have kept hold of enough kids to get us back up in the next few years...mid table will be a good 1st season at this level and bed in then push for promo... for all tho's dreamers who think we will head this rubbish and get out first go! wake-up...

I see that Sam got all As and A*s in his GCSEs, just like a certain Bukayo Saka. Bodes well...

Looks like he has some pace about him and finish with both feet (as can Murphy). They might make some partnership at this level. This looks a very shrewd signing to me.

Looks like he has some pace about him and finish with both feet (as can Murphy). They might make some partnership at this level. This looks a very shrewd signing to me.
Seems like more to come in the striking department too, if it all comes off then there will be real competition for places in those forward positions.

Back