• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Sam Dalby signs

Explains the departure of Deon Moore then. I was pretty impressed with Moore in his brief appearances in the friendlies. Held the ball up well and was constantly feeding the ball wide. So if PB believes Dalby is an upgrade on him then that will do me. Welcome Sam and may you bag many goals next season ??

Don’t give a **** what Stockport or tinpot Woking think of this kid. He has potential and is young. Next to Murphy it could just be the move he needs. If PB thinks he can do a job then let’s give the lad a chance. Look at the grief some gave Woodrow, not done bad since his loan spell with us. We can’t afford the Mullens and Quigleys and it take more than big money signings to be successful. As fans and now back in the stadiums we need to get behind this group of players, it may take time as well but let’s get behind them

Stockport's supporters should be congratulating Southend. They signed a very raw but promising 24 year old striker called Alex Reid from Stevenage on a free transfer in 2020. Reid had no real track record of consistent goalscoring, but in his first full season at Stockport he scored 17 goals in the National League.

Sam Dalby has the potential to do the same at Southend. The club has been monitoring Dalby since 2016 and clearly know about his capabilities.

Just because Stockport have spent over 400,000 on Quigley and Madden, it does not mean new star strikers will not be emerging at other clubs. As David Webb once said, anyone can write cheques but a good manager can find talent where others cannot.

Is that so they can miss out on promotion to the likes of Sutton, Barrow, Hartlepool and Harrogate?

Spending big is no guarantee of success, we know this as well as any other club
That’s true but on the other hand you could argue Salford, Forest Green and Tranmere.

Forced into an appalling situation at the worst point in the club’s history. But that’s enough about you lot…hiiiyooooo!

Would love to give a proper scouting report, but the truth is I haven’t seen him play for five years, so most of what was quoted earlier in the thread applies. Was nowhere near ready for first team football when he was chucked in and possibly still isn’t. Would say that it’s an excellent move for him, but the payoff might be a slow one for the club.

His strengths were his close control and his finishing. Loves a calm stroke into the bottom corner rather than blasting it. Brings other players into the game by accepting the ball to feet with his back to goal and spreading the play wide intelligently.

Has height, but had neither the know how nor the physicality to use it. I’d hope that he’s filled out and grown into his man-strength a bit, because he has a comparatively slight frame for someone of his height. Not much in the way of pace either.

I’d say that a Harry Kane comparison, stylistically at least, is pretty apt. Wish Sam all the best.
this bit sounds very promising, I think these types of strikers are so important at our level. rare to get it in a kid.
The bit about lacking physicality is worrying though. but Phil Brown will probably put him through his paces and make sure he's up to it

The new Barry Corr? Well if he achieves anything like the great man did during his time at Roots Hall, I know he'll have done pretty damn well. Welcome to "The Hall of Dreams" Sam - soon to be known as BBSD?

Barry Corr was in his late twenties before he made an impact with us. If this lad takes that long to reach that level most on here will have lost patience with him a long time before he can reach his peak. If he should develop quickly he will attract bids and gone before very long!

Last edited:
Brown's comments appear self-contradictory. Dalby reminds him of Barry Corr but he lacks physicality?

Brown's comments appear self-contradictory. Dalby reminds him of Barry Corr but he lacks physicality?

So did Barry Corr..... Joe Pigott had to go non league before he toughened up, maybe Emile A might do the same?

If Phil Brown thinks he’s good enough then that’s good enough for me.

Welcome to the club Sam, hope this is the club where your career really takes off.

Dalby, Murphy, Rush, Akinola plus one more isn’t looking too bad for front line options.

If Phil Brown thinks he’s good enough then that’s good enough for me.

Welcome to the club Sam, hope this is the club where your career really takes off.

Dalby, Murphy, Rush, Akinola plus one more isn’t looking too bad for front line options.
Agreed. IF we keep Sim of course. If not I will be a little concerned and we'd need two more through the door. Hopefully whatever the issue is behind closed doors between Sim and management can be resolved. I would feel far more confident we can score the goals needed with him around.

Agreed. IF we keep Sim of course. If not I will be a little concerned and we'd need two more through the door. Hopefully whatever the issue is behind closed doors between Sim and management can be resolved. I would feel far more confident we can score the goals needed with him around.
Was there ever an issue, other than what was created on here. Or was he just injured and need an op.

Was there ever an issue, other than what was created on here. Or was he just injured and need an op.
I think it’s more down to PB rarely if ever mentioning Sim, and not when he discusses the forward line for next season - e.g. yesterday when Darby signed and he spoke about him being the pinnacle of the attack alongside Murphy and Rush…. but no mention of Akinola then.

Well that's the thing isn't it. I'd hope it's just a case of Sim being injured, then having Covid as to why there has barely been a mention/sighting of him since May. But at the same time a couple of well placed people have said to me and others, that there is more to it than that. Whatever it is I hope Sim recovers and is back pushing for a gig alongside Murphy asap, as I feel he has goals in him at this level.

Well that's the thing isn't it. I'd hope it's just a case of Sim being injured, then having Covid as to why there has barely been a mention/sighting of him since May. But at the same time a couple of well placed people have said to me and others, that there is more to it than that. Whatever it is I hope Sim recovers and is back pushing for a gig alongside Murphy asap, as I feel he has goals in him at this level.
Knowing PB he is saying nothing to give it time. He hasn't said anything about him being here OR about him going either. So either can happen without PB changing course as it were. From what moley says PB might drop on the side of keep.

Last edited:
Back