• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hes done a Peter Odemwingie ... but without a contract :hilarious: , great player and totally left with the right attitude . but he needs to sack hes agent . its been a complete tits up .
Do i respect him ? , well if he plays against us next season , im sure i will one of many who will clap him . any member who was part of the team that (lets face it) kept Southend United alive over the last 3 years will always be liked .

Sorry, but I don't understand your first comment. So a player who is without a contract can not go to another team to try and get a contract?

A real shame for Sean but can't see him coming back, nor do we really need him. He wasn't really at his best for the last half of the season and we've signed White who is a good replacement and been made skipper. When we're limited to places due to the umbongo, we can't afford to sign players we don't really need just because they're available.

Agree with the above, sack your agent Sean. Hope he gets hooked up soon, deserves to be playing at a higher level in my opinion.

I hope Sean does get another club soon,liked him a lot for us.Does seem he has been badly advised and he and his agent have handled this very badly,trouble is there is a lot of lower league players floating around and trying stay in the football league.

Come on lads lets get real. He is a good player who will I am sure get a decent move soon. You don't have to have your full squad in place at the start of the season and anyone looking for a decent freebie would love Sean. He will find a club soon and have a good career I am sure. And good luck to him good servant, never caused any issues I know of and wants to better himself. Cant blame him.

I would rate Sean as a solid 7 or 8/10 most games. Also he worked well with Hall; and after a while also with Hurst, who really improved. I don't know how much was down to the individuals or if Sean was the catalyst of both wingers improvements?
We need white to get an understanding with Hurst PDQ.

I would rate Sean as a solid 7 or 8/10 most games. Also he worked well with Hall; and after a while also with Hurst, who really improved. I don't know how much was down to the individuals or if Sean was the catalyst of both wingers improvements?
We need white to get an understanding with Hurst PDQ.
Hurst was playing left wing a lot of last season and Leonard right towards the end, it'll be interesting to see how things work out this year.

Come on lads lets get real. He is a good player who will I am sure get a decent move soon. You don't have to have your full squad in place at the start of the season and anyone looking for a decent freebie would love Sean. He will find a club soon and have a good career I am sure. And good luck to him good servant, never caused any issues I know of and wants to better himself. Cant blame him.

Agreed. At the end of the day he's a top league 2 full back, and may even do a job in league 1. He'll get a club soon, badly advised or not.

I find this quite simply amazing. In the days of Bosman, the cards are now stacked in favour of the players if two criteria are met:

1. They are good, and have done so over a couple of seasons.
2. They are advised correctly.

In this case, 1 is certainly met but 2 is not. Sean is too good a player to be out on his ear, and his agent should take a very long look in the mirror as he has not done his job.

Can't blame PB on this one - he offered him a contract, Sean turned it down, and we signed John White in his position who has subsequently been appointed captain. I hope Sean gets a club, but I doubt it will be the club he wanted 3 or 4 months ago...

Seems a case of the agent setting his sights too high, going on trial for a while then it being too late when the club decide against him. Now clubs have an idea if their starting 11, it will be difficult to go somewhere without being signed as a back up.

Why "arrogant"? I didn't/don't see any arrogance in his decision/attitude. He felt (probably rightly if he wanted to prove himself at a higher level) that it was time to move on, he's not slagged Southend off, moaned about late payment of wages or anything.
My favorite player in recent times and one whom I wish was still with us. He certainly does deserve our respect as I said. Not only for being a class act on the pitch, but also for the reasons you outlined.
My comment on arrogance, is I felt it was a big call to walk out on club that made it clear that he was wanted, for no concrete offer from the level he perceived he should be playing.
The bottom-line is, that he is still without a club, which gives me the impression that he was a bit arrogant in what I think was his assumption that he would find a club higher up before the season started.
He still might! But this was just my thoughts and of course how would I really know.:smiles:

My favorite player in recent times and one whom I wish was still with us. He certainly does deserve our respect as I said. Not only for being a class act on the pitch, but also for the reasons you outlined.
My comment on arrogance, is I felt it was a big call to walk out on club that made it clear that he was wanted, for no concrete offer from the level he perceived he should be playing.
The bottom-line is, that he is still without a club, which gives me the impression that he was a bit arrogant in what I think was his assumption that he would find a club higher up before the season started.
He still might! But this was just my thoughts and of course how would I really know.:smiles:

One man's arrogance is another man's confidence. Would you say Bale is arrogant for thinking he is good enough for Real Madrid?

One man's arrogance is another man's confidence. Would you say Bale is arrogant for thinking he is good enough for Real Madrid?
Bale's confidence is in his performances as a professional at the highest level, that is recognized by some of the worlds biggest clubs, who are willing to break the bank for him. Therefore, his confidence is not misplaced and we would rightly not view his move as arrogant. If he had walked out on Spurs a few years earlier, with no real offer saying he was of to a bigger club and did not find one, then I feel arrogance is one of many words that could fit.
Your analogy kinda supports my point, as Bale's and Clohessy's situations are hardly comparable.

Bale's confidence is in his performances as a professional at the highest level, that is recognized by some of the worlds biggest clubs, who are willing to break the bank for him. Therefore, his confidence is not misplaced and we would rightly not view his move as arrogant. If he had walked out on Spurs a few years earlier, with no real offer saying he was of to a bigger club and did not find one, then I feel arrogance is one of many words that could fit.
Your analogy kinda supports my point, as Bale's and Clohessy's situations are hardly comparable.

Sort of, but sort of not. Bale has the ability to play for Real Madrid and Clohessy has the ability to play at a higher level, and that has been recognised by the fact he has had scouts look at him and been trialled at clubs above our level. Was Tomlin arrogant to leave as well?

My understanding is that Tomlin only left after securing a contract. Which would say to me that his confidence in securing a contract was not based on his assessment of his achievements alone, but well and truly backed-up by others in that he has the contract at a higher level and Clohessy doesn't.

It's crazy that Closhessy hasn't got a contract yet, he was a fantastic servant for us and I hope he gets a decent club soon. We have Jonny White now though so I wouldn't re-sign him, wages could be better used elsewhere (creative mid or CB).

Feel sorry for Sean. He needs a far better agent. But having now seen Captain White I think John is a far more accomplished footballer.

Back