• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Secret of success

toellandback

Andy Cap
I think sometimes both our clubs are in danger of making this league more difficult than it has to be. Yes you respect your opponents but not too much. NO team in this league is un-beatable. From the games I have seen the key to winning games is getting the very basics right. You need two strong centre-half’s who tackle anything that moves and that aren’t afraid to get hurt. You need two players with pace and a little guile to give the team some width and a big and little man up front. The big man holds the ball and provides presence and the little man has a little bit of pace to him. This is what football tactics used to be about and sometimes we can over complicate things. This is League 1 not the champion’s league.

If you can get a team organized and players who know what each others roles are in the team you will be challenging. The other key for me is set pieces we lost an incredible amount of points and a manager over the ability to defend set pieces. I don’t think they have to confuse the opposition; the main thing is that the ball needs to beat the first man. Give your team mates something to attack; there is no excuse for not being able to deliver a decent cross.

I really believe it’s that simple. Look at Franchise FC, they are a decent side nothing more. They know however what they should be doing and play to their strengths. Have I simplified all this too much or does any of this apply to Southend as well?

I think sometimes both our clubs are in danger of making this league more difficult than it has to be. Yes you respect your opponents but not too much. NO team in this league is un-beatable. From the games I have seen the key to winning games is getting the very basics right. You need two strong centre-half’s who tackle anything that moves and that aren’t afraid to get hurt. You need two players with pace and a little guile to give the team some width and a big and little man up front. The big man holds the ball and provides presence and the little man has a little bit of pace to him. This is what football tactics used to be about and sometimes we can over complicate things. This is League 1 not the champion’s league.

If you can get a team organized and players who know what each others roles are in the team you will be challenging. The other key for me is set pieces we lost an incredible amount of points and a manager over the ability to defend set pieces. I don’t think they have to confuse the opposition; the main thing is that the ball needs to beat the first man. Give your team mates something to attack; there is no excuse for not being able to deliver a decent cross.

I really believe it’s that simple. Look at Franchise FC, they are a decent side nothing more. They know however what they should be doing and play to their strengths. Have I simplified all this too much or does any of this apply to Southend as well?

Pretty much agree with that, we concede alot of goals from set pieces aswell! Our main problem though is the lack of a settled side.

Its not as easy as that!

We have two center backs who arnt afraid to go in for a tackle. Problem is neither are dominant in the air!!!

I agree that set pieces are important but then they are in every league!!

In many ways tactics can play more of a part in League 1 than they do in the champions league due to the little difference in ability between the teams. All in all, player quality is the real difference and that is our problem at the moment. We havnt the players to challenge at the top of the table.

Agree. Play percentage when it comes to set pieces just make sure the ball is right there in the middle to attack on corners, and we need to get a long thrower. And defending just need to make sure you don't concede from corners etc.

Defend from the front, have your forwards putting the opposition under pressure all the time, force mistakes.

Just make yourself difficult to beat, don't let in soft goals.

Not about your best players at this level, its about the weak links, and making sure they don't get exploited. Last time we won this league with did it with 10 solid players and 1 with a bit more quality. Lets start by making solid signings, who don't lose 50 - 50's.

Back