• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

should adult kids contribute?

graysblue

Banned
whilst drinking with a few lads the other night,someone mentioned this topic.

the blokes in question all have kids in full time employment and from the 5 of us,3 said they charged/made their kids cough up dosh each month whilst the other 2 allowed their kids to pay zilch.

i think it makes them see the real world if they have to help towards the costs ie food/bills ect.

i take 20% of their net pay .

your views please.

Well I always gave my mum £25 p/w when I started work and I earned less than £100 after tax, so for once, we're in agreement!

Yep always had to pay house keep ( £30 a week ), in turn all my shirts washed , ironed , food ready on the table when i got home wallop .

Now i a pay 10 times as much living with my bird , i get **** all shirts washed and ironed and **** all food ready on the table when get home ..........somethings wrong there eh !!!

i only lived at home when at uni, so my parents didn't charge me. however my brother has just graduated and is living at home so he pays rent, i think about 25% of his wage

one of the guys actually admitted that his son and his sons girlfriend and his daughter earn between them per month around 3k take home and this guy charged them nothing,that must be morally wrong as it will only teach them that life is free.

bloody hell when they get their own gaff.............they will be shocked!!!

whilst drinking with a few lads the other night,someone mentioned this topic.

the blokes in question all have kids in full time employment and from the 5 of us,3 said they charged/made their kids cough up dosh each month whilst the other 2 allowed their kids to pay zilch.

i think it makes them see the real world if they have to help towards the costs ie food/bills ect.

i take 20% of their net pay .

your views please.

Are we talking about when the kids are still living at home?

Kids at home working full time most definitely should pay. Depending on what they get, obviously. e.g.rent a room elsewhere would be around £70 a week. Bills, food etc. on top + laundry. I don't think £250 a month is an unreasonable starting point, negotiate from there. Food is expensive these days and that should also be taken into account.

yes mate,

at home in full time employment

I say let them live rent free long enough for them to have built sufficient savings to get their own place (after all, you'll want them out from under their feet) but then charge them full rent and board.

Assuning they start work at 18, you have got about 5 years to get back all you have spent in the previous 18....a tough call but it can be done
However if , like my boy, they go to Uni and basically don't come back, you will have to wait until you can live off them when you are old and frail for pay back

I used to sort my mum out with a five draw every week but this was 20 odd years ago.

Last edited:
I pay a measly £50 a month. However, my mum doesnt want to take anymore off me as she would rather me pay my debt off for my car etc.

She said that while she doesnt need the money she would rather I spent it paying things off. I give her money every now and then when she has been shopping etc, I also help out in every way around the house too. Plus I'm not actually there a great deal of time anyways. Plus while she knows that I have debt to pay she wont accept any more money from me. Believe me though, having to pay off loans and credit cards for enough years I really do know the value of money. I might not pay a lot of house keeping but I've never had handouts and I don't ask for anything from my parents I never have. I think it is right that every adult kid should pay to live at home, but not so much that it leaves them unable to save for their own place etc.

I live at home with my mum and pay £150 per month i take home £1600 per month but she wont take anymore off me as i am saving for my own place. Giving her £150 includes washing and food, lifts when needs be. but i do my own ironing.

You wanna make sure these freeloading ****pieces pay their friggin way pal, otherwise you'll look like a right mug.
Get 'em to do all the chores, cooking, cleaning DIY and then get them to pay you some dosh on top so you can get yourself down the boozer.

My folks charged me £200 a month when I lived there post-university, which was a flipping excellent deal considering food/rent/washing/bills.

Best thing is they took the money and put it in a savings account, and then gave it back to me when I moved out. Ahhhhhhh :stunned: :)

Once I started work I paid a third of my take home to my parents, same as my dad had to his (my mum's situation was slightly different, as her mother was widowed and she paid more). Taught me a heck of a lot about money management and a realistic valuation on what was provided for me (washing, cooking, board and bills). not sure I'm going to be able to be quite so stringent with my kids but there's definitely a case for it.

Back