• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After going on the initial waiting list I've now been told Sky Broadband have switched on my local exchange, therefore I am contemplating switching onto the See, Speak, Surf package (£5 a month to add broadband/phone to my satellite bill) from Tiscali.

Basically I'm unhappy with Tiscali as at certain peak times they implement what they term a "fair usage policy" which basically prevents use of such software as Azureus & Limewire as well as chatrooms and other sites that heavily use Flash plug-ins.

A guy I work with says it's OK & fairly reliable although has a tendency to cut out which can be annoying.

Can anybody give me opinions on their Sky Broadband and/or recommend a far better deal? I would go back to cable broadband but can't as my new house doesn't have cable connections!

Had the sky broadband for a few months and the only problem I have is that something there is interference when making a phonecall while on the net (which I don't think is meant to happen with broadband). Speed/connection wise it's very good for the £5 that we pay and can't really complain.

i work for an isp and i dont wanna scaremonger, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. just depends how much you value your internet connection.

I personally wouldnt touch them, nor talk talk.

However, my mum does use Sky on the £5 connection and apart from a faulty router seems to be getting on ok with it. If you are a light user and just want a few websites and email you will probably be ok.

Ive heard far more negative stuff about Talk Talk...

No problem with Sky broadband except that the email system is pants. I have configured my sky email to incredimail now, after bypassing the firewall and it works wonderfully.

Listen very carefully, I will say this only once!!!

PIPEX

Run by techies, used by techies. It is by far THE best ISP I have ever used. Never had any downtimes or restrictions placed on me and I am a high level user.

Yep Pipex are highly recommended, Ive used Nildram a lot as well and they are also good. Nildram have a 50gb usage cap per month but it only counts up to midnight allowing for huge overnight downloads, if thats your thing.

Now Im on 10mb cable, to be upgraded to 20mb next week. Whatever happened to 56k....

Last edited:
the only problem I have is that something there is interference when making a phonecall while on the net (which I don't think is meant to happen with broadband).

That's DEFINITLEY not meant to happen.
Make sure you have a microfilter between EVERY phone and socket in your house - this is the most likely cause of your problem U.S.

Last edited:
from personal experince i would stay well away from Pipex as i and alot of others have had terrible problems especially with restrictions of service.

http://www.mobilemaster.co.uk/Clientsites/pipex/index.php

http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44081

Just a couple of examples, but searxh and you will find thousands more.

I am with an ISP called ADSL24.co.uk and they are a enta.net reseller. 1 Month contract so you can switch easily. Not the cheapest by by far the best ISP i have had.

use Pipex myself with no ( major ) problems. Had a few username / password issues at first ( not recognising the ones provided ) but once that was sorted it's been plain sailing

Well as much as I hate to admit this (cue barracking) I'm with BT Option 3. Ok, it is £24.00 a month for 8meg but that is to be upgraded to 16meg soon(ish) and I have to say in the 8 years I've been with them I've lost my connection 4, possibly 5 times, yes 4/5 whole times in 8 years!

Always helpful English call center staff.

Absolutely no problems setting up and using the wireless hub.

Unlimited bandwidth usage. And believe me I use a lot - Limewire, 360 demo's, tv downloads etc.

And with BT Vision (tv on demand) included I can't rate them highly enough.

Back