• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some good news within 18 hours

Let me just state categorically that I have no sources within, or indeed outside of the Club, but has anybody had the same feeling as me, that there must have been a good reason why Gary Lockett resigned from the board of directors? Local firm of national stature, doing very well even in the current economic climate...long-time super fan and general sponsor of everything Southend. Am I putting 2 & 2 together and producing 7, or would this gentleman seem a plausible option to head up a local consortium?

Red Herring as far as i'm aware. Apparently his issue was as simple as a conflict of interest (with one of his other businesses) that meant he had to leave the board for the time being.

He may be "rich" in assets, but he doesn't have £660,000 to rub together just now. He stands to lose a fortune if he can't find it, too.

Indeed....Ron finds himself in the same situation as a lot of businessmen in that he is effectively asset rich but cash poor....not a good situation when there is no demand for the assets but big demands on the company's cash-flow!

Is it Robbie Cowling? Apparently he is looking for a "feeder club" for the mighty U's. Although ensuring the survival of Southend the club will be renamed Saffend Ewes and will play in Blue wooly jumpers. So don't go out buying those replica shirts for Xmas just yet.

Is it Robbie Cowling? Apparently he is looking for a "feeder club" for the mighty U's. Although ensuring the survival of Southend the club will be renamed Saffend Ewes and will play in Blue wooly jumpers. So don't go out buying those replica shirts for Xmas just yet.

In honour of the support we have had from Col Ewe supporters we are going to set fire to 14 tractors full of hay and drive them into the North Bank on Boxing Day to keep you visiting fans warm.

Also, whilst I've got my fingers hovering over the keyboard. Ron has stated quite categorically on numerous occasions he has no intention of walking away from Southend United. Yes I know some will say it's all PR and he'll say what he thinks he want's the supporters to hear but consider this. Would you walk away from a business venture with the future potential that FF could bring you? Would you sell up and sell the business you'd put 10+ years hard graft and money into? I wouldn't, not for the sake of what is, taken in context and not including the 2008/2009 tax bills outstanding, a relatively small amount. As I've said many times before. Far, far to much to lose and so much to gain. Sorry but even if this rumour is true I can't for the life of me see RM giving the future profits from a major development such as FF to someone else after all he's put into the venture up until this point.

Phil

Also, whilst I've got my fingers hovering over the keyboard. Ron has stated quite categorically on numerous occasions he has no intention of walking away from Southend United. Yes I know some will say it's all PR and he'll say what he thinks he want's the supporters to hear but consider this. Would you walk away from a business venture with the future potential that FF could bring you? Would you sell up and sell the business you'd put 10+ years hard graft and money into? I wouldn't, not for the sake of what is, taken in context and not including the 2008/2009 tax bills outstanding, a relatively small amount. As I've said many times before. Far, far to much to lose and so much to gain. Sorry but even if this rumour is true I can't for the life of me see RM giving the future profits from a major development such as FF to someone else after all he's put into the venture up until this point.

Phil

Everyone has a price.

Everyone has a price.

I take your point but that is, in my opinion, a very simplistic answer. Not everyone has a price, or at least a price that could match the time, effort and expenditure already put in. Besides which I seriously doubt Southend United or it's future is worth anything near what RM would want should he even consider bailing on us.

I thought it was made fairly clear at the time that Gary Lockett's leaving the board at the time was only a temporary measure, and as such many people came to the conclusion that this was due to the state of our club and the effect administration/winding up would have on him in his position in a FSA legislated business?

He may be "rich" in assets, but he doesn't have £660,000 to rub together just now. He stands to lose a fortune if he can't find it, too.

How does Ron lose a fortune???
He has the 2 companys that own RH he also has the development rights to build FF.

That means if SUFC cease to exist today he still owns RH and boots and laces and will sell RH to Sainsbury for a tidy profit.

If the club goes into admin which i believe it will (from the guy i know at SUFC who told me about the Transfer Embargo 4 weeks before the club annouced it, tells me), Ron is not making a gut busting effort to stop it, cos if and when Duffen & Co buy the club from the administrators he still has the development rights to the most lucrative thing Sufc can do, a new stadium, so those rights need to be bought by the new owners, probably with a clause that Ron has a contract to build the new stadia.

This is the easiest way for Ron to now recoup any lost cash and earn more and cut any ties with SUFC.

Has this been a plan all along? i dont know, but its a bloody good financial back up for Ron.

How does Ron lose a fortune???
He has the 2 companys that own RH he also has the development rights to build FF.

That means if SUFC cease to exist today he still owns RH and boots and laces and will sell RH to Sainsbury for a tidy profit.

If the club goes into admin which i believe it will (from the guy i know at SUFC who told me about the Transfer Embargo 4 weeks before the club annouced it, tells me), Ron is not making a gut busting effort to stop it, cos if and when Duffen & Co buy the club from the administrators he still has the development rights to the most lucrative thing Sufc can do, a new stadium, so those rights need to be bought by the new owners, probably with a clause that Ron has a contract to build the new stadia.

This is the easiest way for Ron to now recoup any lost cash and earn more and cut any ties with SUFC.

Has this been a plan all along? i dont know, but its a bloody good financial back up for Ron.

Duffen that was at Hull City?

Back