• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some good news within 18 hours

How does Ron lose a fortune???
He has the 2 companys that own RH he also has the development rights to build FF.

That means if SUFC cease to exist today he still owns RH and boots and laces and will sell RH to Sainsbury for a tidy profit.

If the club goes into admin which i believe it will (from the guy i know at SUFC who told me about the Transfer Embargo 4 weeks before the club annouced it, tells me), Ron is not making a gut busting effort to stop it, cos if and when Duffen & Co buy the club from the administrators he still has the development rights to the most lucrative thing Sufc can do, a new stadium, so those rights need to be bought by the new owners, probably with a clause that Ron has a contract to build the new stadia.

This is the easiest way for Ron to now recoup any lost cash and earn more and cut any ties with SUFC.

Has this been a plan all along? i dont know, but its a bloody good financial back up for Ron.

And what happens if Ron sells and the new owners decide that the price Ron wants for FF is too mucha and they decide that they can make the club profitable at Roots Hall ??? Ron then has no money from Sainsburys and has a pretty much worthless piece of land at Fossetts Farm because the planning permission states quite clearly that the retail development can only be started once the Stadium has been built.

Who is going to "invest" in a business that can't meet its tax bills?

maybe not people looking to buy a debt-ridden company as an "investment" but fans who have some money and who just want to pump enough money into the club they've been supporting for years in order to save it and keep it going? I know hard to believe that people might want to do that given the motives of many people who take on football clubs who aren't genuine supporters, but if you had enough money wouldn't you do the same to "invest" in SUFC now...?

Well i can only post what i heard which is this:

A while back (6 months) i was speaking to my mums best mates husband whom i have known for years.

He usually gives me plenty of stick that he supports a proper team (west ham) .

Anyway he starts talking about he has been to col u a few times as his mate or more a mate of mate Robbie cowling owns it. Robbie cowling is west ham through and through he goes on. He also said that one of cowlings mates owns hull city and wants to come back to essex. And they have a bit of rivalry with cowling crowing that he is going to take col u places. I joked that maybe his mate would like to buy southend. And he said you never know if he ever leaves hull.

Well we are in trouble and he has left hull ,so maybe there is some legs to this story.

Either way he is minted

Last edited:
Am I the only one that hopes Ron comes up with the goods and staves off administration on Tuesday/Wednesday?
I would like to think our long term future is under Rons chairmanship and we look back on this sorry saga, and realise it was just a close call and valuable lesson learnt.

Am I the only one that hopes Ron comes up with the goods and staves off administration on Tuesday/Wednesday?
I would like to think our long term future is under Rons chairmanship and we look back on this sorry saga, and realise it was just a close call and valuable lesson learnt.

I just want whatever is the best for SUFC to be honest. The only certainty in all of this is that the club can never be profitable as long as it remains at Roots Hall. Therefore, the new stadium is needed. Under the current plans Ron's company develops the stadium and there would then (presumably but we haven't been told) be some kind of revenue sharing agreement between the club and his company.

I don't quite understand what the situation would be if there were to be a buy out. Would the stadium then be dead in the water or could an agreement be reached to allow the club to continue to rent the stadium from Ron Martin? Administration this season could potentially be very damaging in as much as it could mean relegation from which we may well not recover for a season, possibly two or possibly never! We're all dealing in hypotheticals here and it's difficult to say what should happen without knowing the full story which we as fans may never do.

Its not that i dont want Ron to be successful its just that he has proved himself to be a liar on many occassions. And he is just not rich enough to take the club forward.

Its not that i dont want Ron to be successful its just that he has proved himself to be a liar on many occassions. And he is just not rich enough to take the club forward.

This is the crux of it. The club needs the new stadium anyway as it can never be self-sufficient at Roots Hall but the central aspect of the entire plan is the income from the development that presumably would be shared between Ron and the club. There is no more money for Ron to bail us out with, hence the need to get into the new stadium ASAP and why we are ****ed.

no your not the only one. I still beleive in him.

Ron has always said that we are losing money every month and that we needed fossets farm to survive. To me the only thing that has changed , and I am guessing is that he has been caught out by the constant delays. IF Sainsburys are about to pump in serious cash once the planning permission comes through and this is what Ron was banking on then it all makes sense.

Many will see this as bad financial planning but until the accounts are published with more detail - which won't happen I guess none of uswithout inside knowledge will know. Added to this loads of multinational firms have ended up relying on one specific product to stop them going out of business, this is no different in my eyes.

Administration this season could potentially be very damaging in as much as it could mean relegation from which we may well not recover for a season, possibly two or possibly never! We're all dealing in hypotheticals here and it's difficult to say what should happen without knowing the full story which we as fans may never do.

Quite honestly, if this scenario occured then i cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel. Ron states now that we need 8,000 crowds to break even, which we currently are not managing. Relegation would in my opinion see crowds averaging around 5,000 with the majority of clubs in league 2 northern based which would make revenue from away fans greatly reduced as well. I believe a handful of players are out of contract at the end of this season, and i'd be surprised if they resigned up for league 2. This would mean a complete rebuilding job for the team which would probably take 3 years, and god knows what our situation would be then.

All the uncertainty of the moment is getting to everyone I'm sure. Will we go into administration, will Ron bail us out, will someone buy Ron out then save us, if they did will they be able to build the new stadium, if we did go into admin would there be a buyer or would we be liquidated........

With so many rumours not enough solid facts and the media suddenly paying us alot of attention for all the wrong reasons I can see a lot of people making themselves sick over this (likely myself included) the full facts in all of what is going on right now is not going to come until tuesday or more likely wednesday, and I know it's killing everyone but we're mostly powerless and we have to sit and wait.

Good show of support everyone who threw into the shimpers trust, proud to be part of the the best fan base to the best team in the world.

Praying for good news

All the uncertainty of the moment is getting to everyone I'm sure. Will we go into administration, will Ron bail us out, will someone buy Ron out then save us, if they did will they be able to build the new stadium, if we did go into admin would there be a buyer or would we be liquidated........

With so many rumours not enough solid facts and the media suddenly paying us alot of attention for all the wrong reasons I can see a lot of people making themselves sick over this (likely myself included) the full facts in all of what is going on right now is not going to come until tuesday or more likely wednesday, and I know it's killing everyone but we're mostly powerless and we have to sit and wait.

Good show of support everyone who threw into the shimpers trust, proud to be part of the the best fan base to the best team in the world.

Praying for good news

Agreed. I wonder how much work is going to get done this week by members of ShrimperZone. I for one will be doing very little :scared:

Ron states now that we need 8,000 crowds to break even, which we currently are not managing

We are averaging 8k+ which we have done for the last 3 seasons. Our current average as printed in the news of the screws todays is 8224. Which makes us the 8th best supported club in the league. When you consider we are competing against Leeds Charlton Southampton Norwich etc then we are doing great.

We are averaging 8k+ which we have done for the last 3 seasons. Our current average as printed in the news of the screws todays is 8224. Which makes us the 8th best supported club in the league. When you consider we are competing against Leeds Charlton Southampton Norwich etc then we are doing great.

and with some good home games coming up mk dons, col ewe etc this figure is only going to up!

As I see it, if the Ron sells the Club before it goes into administration the position with regard to FF and RH is no different to what was planned before the present problems arose.

The Club would have had to rent the stadium from Ron's company anyway. If taken over, the Club will still need to rent from Ron. And Ron will need the Club to rent the stadium from him even if he no longer owns the Club.

He can't proceed with the development of FF until the stadium is built because of the planning conditions and there is no other viable tenant for it. He won't want to leave the stadium empty foregoing rent and having, in due course, to pay rates on the empty buildings.

Therefore it must be in Ron's interest to ensure that the club survives. Hopefully anybody buying it will be able to finance the FF development for him, perhaps in exchange for a share of its development value. If he himself negotiates a deal before an administrator finds a bidder for him, surely he would expect a far better outcome.

Back