• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some good news within 18 hours

Am I the only one that hopes Ron comes up with the goods and staves off administration on Tuesday/Wednesday?
I would like to think our long term future is under Rons chairmanship and we look back on this sorry saga, and realise it was just a close call and valuable lesson learnt.
No, because every supporter, no matter what they think of Ron Martin, hopes and prays that he comes up with the goods and pays off the tax money by the deadline date. I dont care how he does it, whether he pays it out himself, or he sells the club to get more money in - all I care about is that we have 1) A Southend United to support in the upcoming future, and 2) A loyal chairman who will care about the club (not a personal dig at Ron, just if he sells the club, I want him to sell it to the right people, if you know what I mean).

I would like to know what the current situation is from Ron himself, but considering he is working tirelessly to sort out this tax bill every day, im not rushing him to make an official statement anytime soon tbh - i'd rather he spent that time sorting out the club we love and support.
Come on Southend, we can pull through all of this! UTB!
SS1

you may have heard what i've heard then. but just rumours flying around as far as i know.

If you're talking Brentwood then I mentioned Russell Bartlett last week after a conversation with a friend of the family who used to have dealings with him. However I believe he's now staying at Hull City. Duffen on the other hand......

Not wishing to pee on anyone's parade but let's wait and see what actually happens not what people want to happen or hope to happen. Let's sit back and chew our fingernails down to the elbow and await the events as they un-fold.

Not wishing to pee on anyone's parade but let's wait and see what actually happens not what people want to happen or hope to happen. Let's sit back and chew our fingernails down to the elbow and await the events as they un-fold.

:unsure:

Where's the fun in that? Pointless rumour and flights of the purest fantasy, mixed with some hand-wringing, doom-mongering, and Ron-knocking are the very stuff of Shrimperzone.

And thinking of Stuff and Shrimperzone - where's Wiggy? All this should be right up his street!

I fail to see how someone from Brentwood would be attracted to the club, especially if they've seen how much we owe (is it £660,000 or £2.1Million?). Ron Martin used to be rich. :D

Oi, i'm a Brentwood boy and i love Southend United. Not in this consortium though...

Listen everyone I know who is behind the buy out and yes its local lads.

Its being lead by Brian Eastman the owner and Managing Director of brians party shop" in Southend as well as John Richardson of "Richardsons Cycles" Leigh On Sea and also Gary Neptune is sticking a few quid in too. please keep it under your hats though as these boys are big players.

You forgot the van Looeys they sell more fish and chips than anyone.

Not that I want to add to the plethora of rumours but there is one circulating down here that there is an Essex boy coming in to save us. None other than Jamie Oliver who has promised to put us on the map and bring us success. We are going to be the only professional football club whose restaurant has a Michelin rosette.........the final detail that needs sorting is to whether he is going to transform the 'Blues Lounge' or 'Platinum Suite' for the purpose.
At this very moment he is in the process of signing on fifteen chefs who possess both football and culinary skills.....................certainly good news for those who feared that they were never going to see Revs in a Southend shirt again.

Last edited:
Story is Front page of the Echo

Local Busness men want to by the club for a pound and pay off the debts and the cover the running costs to the end of the season.

Seems like a real long term solution that one.....
Either this group of business men have got 8M to throw away or they will want to recoup at the end of the season by the way of a sale.

Now if they were interested in buying SEL / Roots Hall Ltd, and then injecting some money into the subsidary companies I might be a little more optimistic.

I feel that whilst the land and therefore all potential profits are held by a company with tangible financial interests in the football club, future revenue streams are potentially better.

If SUFC went to FF as a completely unrelated business entity to the owners of that land, I can see there being no share of the income from ancilliary developments and a potential crippling rental structure

Story is Front page of the Echo

Local Busness men want to by the club for a pound and pay off the debts and the cover the running costs to the end of the season.

Seems like a real long term solution that one.....
Either this group of business men have got 8M to throw away or they will want to recoup at the end of the season by the way of a sale.

Now if they were interested in buying SEL / Roots Hall Ltd, and then injecting some money into the subsidary companies I might be a little more optimistic.

I feel that whilst the land and therefore all potential profits are held by a company with tangible financial interests in the football club, future revenue streams are potentially better.

If SUFC went to FF as a completely unrelated business entity to the owners of that land, I can see there being no share of the income from ancilliary developments and a potential crippling rental structure

Yep, despite what some think on here i'm still firmly of the opinion we need RM as much as he needs us at the present time and this buyout would be of no benefit to us in the long term (out of the fire into the frying pan ??)

As opposed to the, as yet, undefined arrangements associated with the original plan.

Rental structure would have to be realistic. It's not as if there'd be loads of clubs fighting to rent the ground.

:unsure:

Where's the fun in that? Pointless rumour and flights of the purest fantasy, mixed with some hand-wringing, doom-mongering, and Ron-knocking are the very stuff of Shrimperzone.

And thinking of Stuff and Shrimperzone - where's Wiggy? All this should be right up his street!

Hmmm...seems you are wrong...still keep knocking anyone that passes info on eh?

I am sure RM won't sell anything unless he is made to. He has invested years into this and considerable sums of money and won't let go. I know I wouldn't in his situation.

I am sure RM won't sell anything unless he is made to. He has invested years into this and considerable sums of money and won't let go. I know I wouldn't in his situation.

Exactly, another point to consider - any takeover would be a hostile one.

Other than stubborn pig-headedness I can't see why RM doesn't appear to be open to bringing additional large-scale investment in while retaining overall control. OK - he wouldn't then earn as much dosh if/when FF is finished but surely (unless you believe the bad old rumours about how this has all been a sham to secure redevelopment of Roots Hall whilst putting a retail park on the training ground) having a club that has relatively healthy finances as well as a decent infrastructure in place on & off the pitch is important.

I hope but don't expect the consortium news to come to fruition, but you have to wonder if this is unsuccessful whether any of the members will go straight ot RM and ask to invest in return for a directorship etc?

I hope but don't expect the consortium news to come to fruition, but you have to wonder if this is unsuccessful whether any of the members will go straight ot RM and ask to invest in return for a directorship etc?

That'd be interesting, after all if they are in the main SUFC STHs then there must be a possibility

Back