• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Songs you have an irrational hatred of

MrB

Life President
We all have music we don't like and there's some pretty obvious stuff out there for all of us.

However, sometimes, even from a band or genre you like, there's a song that just rubs you up the wrong way for some particular reason. So much so you have to turn off whatever media device is broadcasting it.

So what songs give you this feeling?

There are three main ones for me:

Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs
A re-recorded version of the song came out in about 86 as the theme song for the John Hughes film of the same name. I would have been about 11 at the time but even at that age, the first time I heard it, it just annoyed me and has done ever since. Why? I have no idea. But even now, almost 25 years on it still has the same effect when I hear it, which thankfully is very infrequently!

Born Slippy - Underworld
Underworld are one of my favourite bands. Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest in the Infants and Beaucoup Fish are all immense albums. The above song chose not to be on these albums, it chose something else. Arriving via the Trainspotting soundtrack (which also featured an excellent remix of Dark & Long) it was a complete departure from anything else they'd done; commercial, shouty and just, well annoying. Alas it caught on at the time and became their 'anthem'. This annoyed me and I can never listen to it now as it continues to annoy me. I think if it was just a one hit wonder song from some randoms then I might be able to enjoy it, in a kind of Tubthumping shouty way. But it's now consigend to the irrational hatred bin.

Escape - Metallica
I'm sure Al and Rich will agree that Ride the Lightning is a hell of an album, Metallica in their prime. But what they were thinking when they put this track on there I have no idea. Bearing no relation to any other tracks on the album, nor Kill em All or Master of Puppets, I guess it was their attempt at something a bit more commercial. It was awful. I've deleted from my iTunes so my ears aren't offended by it when I play it on my iPod!!

Others that feature, just for their pure, happy happy niceness are River of Dreams by Billy Joel and Are You Ready For Love by Elton John. Grrrrrr.

Chumbawumba - Tubthumping. Inane gurning Norhern monkeys with little evident musical talent, unfortuntely made for life as every lazy TV exec will include this song for dramatic effect.

Robbie W***** Angels. I've never intentionally listened to this song the whole way through ever, so WTF then do I know every word?

Oh God, so many.

Lots due to mere overplaying.

Take 'Hey ya' by Outkast. It is a very, very good song. But I never, EVER particularly want to hear it again.

I also think I'm one of the only people to find 'Come together' and 'Light my fire' dull as dishwater. Both songs have been covered and lauded by countless millions of people, but I find both devoid of any warmth, interest or passion.

Despite also being my generation, every Stone Roses song ever makes me feel rather filthy inside, like my guts want to throw themselves up.

(I felt like that about 'Born slippy' for a while too by the way, especially during a period where it felt every Underworld gig was full of folks just waiting for 'that' bit. But I like it now...)

Mambo No 5 - Lou Bega. Probably because I was living in the arse end of Orpington at the time, but it's almost managed to spoil cricket for me!

I dont even know where to start,

Ok Elton John Are You ready (I think thats what its called), whenever I hear that I wanna smash the crap out of something its sooooooooooooo annoying.

Ok Elton John Are You ready (I think thats what its called), whenever I hear that I wanna smash the crap out of something its sooooooooooooo annoying.

Oh dear God, yes. Yes. Yes.

Bloody Sky Sports for using this. Another reason to avoid signing up to Murdoch's life ******* leech of a station

Oh dear God, yes. Yes. Yes.

Bloody Sky Sports for using this. Another reason to avoid signing up to Murdoch's life ******* leech of a station
I refer you to the final line of my original post!!!

I refer you to the final line of my original post!!!

Ah I didn't see that great minds all that!

Metallica though!?! Its not one of their best I agree, preferable to some of the **** they've done over the last few years though!

Ah I didn't see that great minds all that!

Metallica though!?! Its not one of their best I agree, preferable to some of the **** they've done over the last few years though!
I haven't listened to anything after the Black album so can't really comment. But I was trying to put it into context of songs that **** you off for a certain reason rather than simply don't like. Yes, I'd listen to Escape ahead of 1,000's of other crappy songs but in the context of Metallica's first 5 albums, it just stands out like shining beacon of mediocrity.

I haven't listened to anything after the Black album so can't really comment. But I was trying to put it into context of songs that **** you off for a certain reason rather than simply don't like. Yes, I'd listen to Escape ahead of 1,000's of other crappy songs but in the context of Metallica's first 5 albums, it just stands out like shining beacon of mediocrity.

Yeah I know what you're saying fella, it sticks out like a sore thumb on Ride!

Come on Eileen- Dexys Midnight Runners

Cannot stand it - don't know why

Back