• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

South Upper

Shrimper James

What's wrong with everybody all of a sudden? We were the greatest team on the planet on Friday afternoon and now all of a sudden Maher should be dropped, Tilly should know better and Freddy should be sold.

Anyway, the one thing that i was most disappointed with on Saturday was the reaction of a few 'fans' in the South Upper. The guy sitting directly to my left slagged off Luke Guttridge a number of times in the opening ten minutes. When i questioned his judgement he simply said he was 'fed up of hearing my voice and he was entitled to his opinion'. Maybe, but don't slag of your own players, especially at 0-0 with ten minutes gone. And i could only presume my voice was the countless chants i was trying to start.
A bit later, a guy a couple of rows behind was slagging off Griemink saying that Tilson shouldn't have dropped Flavs for him (he obviously had no clue he was injured). And the amount of people who just got up and left with five minutes to go was just embarrassing.
There were other general comments and jeering but generally it was a pretty depressing place to sit on Saturday.
I don't know what other areas of the ground were like....?

the east yellow and surrounding areas with 5 minutes to go, people started leaving

James I sympathise. These people don't know they're born and wouldn't know a decent player if one came up and kicked them up their fat arses. Unfortunately all clubs have them. Tell them to shut the f%&k up. It usually works.
biggrin.gif

I was sitting next to some drunk bloke in the West who was talking cr@p all through the game and slagging off Tilson, I disagreed with everything he kept saying to me - halfway through the 2nd half he got fed up and stopped talking altogether (finally!). The bloke clearly had no idea about football whatsoever
mad.gif
He also left with 5mins to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 14 2005,12:27)]I was sitting next to some drunk bloke in the West who was talking cr@p all through the game...
I thought Grim sits in the East?

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 14 2005,11:27)]I was sitting next to some drunk bloke in the West who was talking cr@p all through the game and slagging off Tilson, I disagreed with everything he kept saying to me - halfway through the 2nd half he got fed up and stopped talking altogether (finally!). The bloke clearly had no idea about football whatsoever
mad.gif
He also left with 5mins to go.
how can any fan "slag off Tilson". Unbelievable

You're right about the South Upper - not a good atmosphere at all. JCR was taking most of the verbal flack in the area surrounding me but Cole and Maher also came in for their fair share. What's the matter with these people? Apart from the odd "OH MAHER!!!" when his set-piece delivery is below par, I've never slagged off one of our own players at a game.

There was one bloke standing next to me in the west who was slagging off everyone. What's wrong with these people? Can't they get behind the team when it's not playing well?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Nov. 14 2005,11:35)]You're right about the South Upper - not a good atmosphere at all. JCR was taking most of the verbal flack in the area surrounding me but Cole and Maher also came in for their fair share. What's the matter with these people? Apart from the odd "OH MAHER!!!" when his set-piece delivery is below par, I've never slagged off one of our own players at a game.
Obviously, there were a lot of 'floaters' there on Saturday (hence the sell out) and yes, there support is required and all that. But to be honest, if all people are going to do is come, wait for the team to stuff up, then moan and shout abuse then they can sod off quite frankly.
It's annoying, it doesn't help the team and it p***es me off.

well i had to sit in the west on saturday as the east greens had sold out. i had probably the most amazing experience of my life. Unfortunatley not a good one.

Me and a friend took our seats and realised that we were surrounded by a group of season ticket holders who dont like change, as i had to get an old boy to move his bag off my seat which didnt go down well. 2-3 mins into the game something happened on the pitch in the NW corner, me along with the majority of others jumped up as you do at football matches. I heard a scream of "Why dont you sit down" turning round to see the guy red in the face and followed up with another "Sit down i dont want to watch the back of your head" Now it wasnt the request more the way in which it was barked at me.

I sat down and couldnt keep my mouth shut so i told him i was at a football match not the effing opera. His response was that i was a fair weather fan and could go forth and multiply and that as a season ticket holder he has a right to tell me what to do. To say the least i was mad, i explained that i had supported the club and been coming to RH for 25 years, secondly i normally sit in the East Greens however due to demand and i was being made to sit with a bunch of moaning old w%&kers.

My problem is this, i wont let the old c%&t put me off going to roots hall, however if it had been a prospective fan then i woul be less inclined to come back if thats the welcome you receive.

Now it didnt end there for the next 90mins not 1 player escaped there constant abuse and moaning. The score was a let down on Sat, However i couldnt wait to get out of the ground due to listening the most miserable people i have had the misfortune of meeting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Nov. 14 2005,11:49)]well i had to sit in the west on saturday as the east greens had sold out. i had probably the most amazing experience of my life. Unfortunatley not a good one.

Me and a friend took our seats and realised that we were surrounded by a group of season ticket holders who dont like change, as i had to get an old boy to move his bag off my seat which didnt go down well. 2-3 mins into the game something happened on the pitch in the NW corner, me along with the majority of others jumped up as you do at football matches. I heard a scream of "Why dont you sit down" turning round to see the guy red in the face and followed up with another "Sit down i dont want to watch the back of your head" Now it wasnt the request more the way in which it was barked at me.

I sat down and couldnt keep my mouth shut so i told him i was at a football match not the effing opera. His response was that i was a fair weather fan and could go forth and multiply and that as a season ticket holder he has a right to tell me what to do. To say the least i was mad, i explained that i had supported the club and been coming to RH for 25 years, secondly i normally sit in the East Greens however due to demand and i was being made to sit with a bunch of moaning old w%&kers.

My problem is this, i wont let the old c%&t put me off going to roots hall, however if it had been a prospective fan then i woul be less inclined to come back if thats the welcome you receive.

Now it didnt end there for the next 90mins not 1 player escaped there constant abuse and moaning. The score was a let down on Sat, However i couldnt wait to get out of the ground due to listening the most miserable people i have had the misfortune of meeting.
That's shocking.
And they were season ticket holders. Unbelievable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Nov. 14 2005,11:49)]well i had to sit in the west on saturday as the east greens had sold out. i had probably the most amazing experience of my life. Unfortunatley not a good one.

Jesus, thats terrible. I'm suprised you did'nt rip the guy's head off!

[b said:

well I've been coming on and off for over 40 years and i can tell you these c%&ts (and this is excactly the right word for them) have made it at times 40 years of hell. If these tw&ts can't realise we are actually going through the good times with an exciting team and great management then I absolutely despair I really do. Unf%&kingbelievable

mad.gif
mad.gif

I think I know the section of the west you're talking about - block C? They're like the old blokes in The Muppets. They have nothing else to do on a Saturday and even though they don't really enjoy it anymore their wives kick them out the house as a matter of routine each week. Sad, miserable old bastards the lot of 'em.

The people in the West Stand sounded like a hoot didnt they?

Southend, or any football club, can do without people like that im afraid, but you will get that in every club.

On the other hand, I don't agree with this slating people if they voice an opinion about a player which is not necessaruly in the positive.

If players are having bad games, then fans will always have a moan, shout at them and criticise them, much as the manager will do in the dressing room after the game

This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish, after all, it is us who are paying the wages of the players, so is it wrong if we criticise them for not doing what they are supposed to?

Too much is made of this for my liking and as long as the criticism does not venture into personal, racial or hatred, then i dont see a problem with it.

I think players know the score aswell, they dont take it too personally, and they know that when they get all the praise in the world, as they quite rightly deserve this season, the criticism does, and has to, go hand in hand with this.

We are fans of the football club, and it is usually only frustration that brings about this reaction, but far from showing you dont care, it shows that you do care, as if you didnt, then you wouldnt get so wound up!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,12:49)]This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish, after all, it is us who are paying the wages of the players, so is it wrong if we criticise them for not doing what they are supposed to?

Too much is made of this for my liking and as long as the criticism does not venture into personal, racial or hatred, then i dont see a problem with it.  

I think players know the score aswell, they dont take it too personally, and they know that when they get all the praise in the world, as they quite rightly deserve this season, the criticism does, and has to, go hand in hand with this.

We are fans of the football club, and it is usually only frustration that brings about this reaction, but far from showing you dont care, it shows that you do care, as if you didnt, then you wouldnt get so wound up!!
Unbelievable!!!

"People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish"

I have been listening to and reading that opinion for nigh on 35 years. It is still utterly, utterly wrong. I go to matches to support my team. Slagging off players DOES affect the way they play. It destroys their confidence and leads to more poor performances. Ask any player - the Notts County captain in the Times the other week made just that point.

To constantly moan and criticise is to play a part in reducing the teams level of performance. I go to ENCOURAGE my team, I leave the moaning for the bar afterwards. If I hear people actively DISCOURAGING the players I support I object loudly and vociferously - and I always will!

I can point to occasions where getting behind a player low in confidence has changed a match in our favour. I have NEVER seen an occasion where slagging them off has helped one little bit!!!

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,12:49)]The people in the West Stand sounded like a hoot didnt they?

Southend, or any football club, can do without people like that im afraid, but you will get that in every club.

On the other hand, I don't agree with this slating people if they voice an opinion about a player which is not necessaruly in the positive.

If players are having bad games, then fans will always have a moan, shout at them and criticise them, much as the manager will do in the dressing room after the game

This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

nope. Give then both verbal barrells.
tounge.gif
See how they like it. And do you know, they don't
cool.gif

Back