• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

South Upper

A run of 8 unbeaten in which Guttridge played a large part

One bad game and its 'Guttridge you're ****'

Kent Shrimper, Im sorry your game was ruined by those idiots.

I hate these people! They slag off the team even when they are winning most of the time. It winds me up like crazy. I can't stand them. I feel sorry that you had to put up with that the other day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 14 2005,12:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Nov. 14 2005,12:32)]no its was in Leeboys block, block V. Although i must stress Leeboy wasnt the ring leader  
biggrin.gif
Sounds like it might have been ORM, though...

tounge.gif
Nope it wasn't Him. He was sat next to me.
Apparently Barrett & Eastwood had poor games
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beaver @ Nov. 14 2005,13:45)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Nov. 14 2005,12:32)]no its was in Leeboys block, block V. Although i must stress Leeboy wasnt the ring leader  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
wink.gif
I bet Maher played well, though...

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,12:49)]The people in the West Stand sounded like a hoot didnt they?

Southend, or any football club, can do without people like that im afraid, but you will get that in every club.

On the other hand, I don't agree with this slating people if they voice an opinion about a player which is not necessaruly in the positive.

If players are having bad games, then fans will always have a moan, shout at them and criticise them, much as the manager will do in the dressing room after the game

This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish, after all, it is us who are paying the wages of the players, so is it wrong if we criticise them for not doing what they are supposed to?

Too much is made of this for my liking and as long as the criticism does not venture into personal, racial or hatred, then i dont see a problem with it.  

I think players know the score aswell, they dont take it too personally, and they know that when they get all the praise in the world, as they quite rightly deserve this season, the criticism does, and has to, go hand in hand with this.

We are fans of the football club, and it is usually only frustration that brings about this reaction, but far from showing you dont care, it shows that you do care, as if you didnt, then you wouldnt get so wound up!!
In our part of the South Upper (right behind the goal) there is an unwritten law that anyone verbally abusing the players other than in a whisper is killed by a very annoyed Scottish person.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 14 2005,14:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beaver @ Nov. 14 2005,13:45)]
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
wink.gif
I bet Maher played well, though...

laugh.gif
Best player on the pitch by far
biggrin.gif

Even when he went off to be stitched up, he was still the best player on the pitch
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 14 2005,13:12)]In our part of the South Upper (right behind the goal) there is an unwritten law that anyone verbally abusing the players other than in a whisper is killed by a very annoyed Scottish person.
I don't know him personaly but I know who you mean. He does get a little over excited.  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Nov. 14 2005,12:26)]I think I know the section of the west you're talking about - block C? They're like the old blokes in The Muppets. They have nothing else to do on a Saturday and even though they don't really enjoy it anymore their wives kick them out the house as a matter of routine each week. Sad, miserable old bastards the lot of 'em.
Moan moan moan that's what people do these days, especially you old people. If all you're going to do is sit around and moan they should take your teeth away! Now c'mon girls put the kettle on, get a nice cup of tea, that's it

Is it me or is this selfish core of fans wanting the club to themselves growing? Ever since the LDV finals there have been no end of idiots wishing people to stay away from the Hall - mutterings about part time fans etc. It really saddens me that this attitude is spreading throughout the club, it is short sighted and ignorant. It is these type of people who are shouting abuse at the players for a mis placed pass or shot.

Those people who support other clubs come because they are fans of football. I think we should be proud that people like this are beginning to visit more often because it is a credit to Tilly and the style of football we are playing. These people are less likely to hollow at JCR if a trick goes wrong, or Maher for one bad pass. They are more likely to applaud good bits of play, which probably helps the players more.

I appreciate that people get frustrated during matches when it is going against us. Fair enough when Wignall has us at the foot of the lowest league. Things aren't that bad at the moment - pretty bloody good to be honest and yet the players still get abuse. The amount of pressure on them at the moment with all the media hype is quite high. We are in a miny slump of form at the moment, so for God's sake lets get behind them. Basic human physcology - if you are struggling in your job to you respond best to positive praise or someone shouting at you every time you do something wrong? I know what is better for me.

I feel sorry for those fans who received abuse - especially those who support the club through thick and thin.

Never have any of these problems in the RBS kiddie enclosure. The only downside is having to sit with my children:(

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 14 2005,13:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,12:49)]This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish, after all, it is us who are paying the wages of the players, so is it wrong if we criticise them for not doing what they are supposed to?

Too much is made of this for my liking and as long as the criticism does not venture into personal, racial or hatred, then i dont see a problem with it.  

I think players know the score aswell, they dont take it too personally, and they know that when they get all the praise in the world, as they quite rightly deserve this season, the criticism does, and has to, go hand in hand with this.

We are fans of the football club, and it is usually only frustration that brings about this reaction, but far from showing you dont care, it shows that you do care, as if you didnt, then you wouldnt get so wound up!!
Unbelievable!!!

"People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish"

I have been listening to and reading that opinion for nigh on 35 years. It is still utterly, utterly wrong. I go to matches to support my team. Slagging off players DOES affect the way they play. It destroys their confidence and leads to more poor performances. Ask any player - the Notts County captain in the Times the other week made just that point.

To constantly moan and criticise is to play a part in reducing the teams level of performance. I go to ENCOURAGE my team, I leave the moaning for the bar afterwards. If I hear people actively DISCOURAGING the players I support I  object loudly and vociferously - and I always will!

I can point to occasions where getting behind a player low in confidence has changed a match in our favour. I have NEVER seen an occasion where slagging them off has helped one little bit!!!

mad.gif
Why is that opinion wrong? just cos you dont like it? I doubt the players can even hear it, let alone understand it. Like you, i've been a regular since we was all driving..or dreaming of driving Cortina 1600E's. Along with my pals, I moan and winge as well as praise (i dont stand up for that stupid bl00dy song though!) But the point is, we whinge at each other. If you or your peers on here 'c-y-b et al' dont like it, c'est la vie. It's all part and parcel of caring! Do some of you never question a players form or tilsons tactics? What the fcuk do you talk about at the match? or are you all to busy standing up then sitting down then st.......you get the picture.

bertie we're probly in agreement here more than you think. We can recognise a useless player or inept pass like the rest and can have a moan, sigh or moreoften than not with one player recently spend many a moment shaking the head and peering to the sky. What me and I suspect S in a Kilt object to is those people who very loudly and very incessantly think we want to hear their drivel for the entire 90 mins. And those of course who never ever praise or in the time honoured moaner fashion say things like "that was a good bit of play - very unlike him, or he'll never do that again" Sorry I've had enough of it and I pay my money too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 14 2005,13:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,12:49)]This is part of being a football fan, and is part and parcel of being a footballer, yes its great when things are going well and they are only too happy to take the plaudits on offers, BUT they have to be able to take the criticism when they are not performing to the level people know they can.

Unbelievable!!!

"People pay good money to watch Southend, and they are entitled to voice there opinion if they so wish"

I have been listening to and reading that opinion for nigh on 35 years. It is still utterly, utterly wrong. I go to matches to support my team. Slagging off players DOES affect the way they play. It destroys their confidence and leads to more poor performances. Ask any player - the Notts County captain in the Times the other week made just that point.

To constantly moan and criticise is to play a part in reducing the teams level of performance. I go to ENCOURAGE my team, I leave the moaning for the bar afterwards. If I hear people actively DISCOURAGING the players I support I  object loudly and vociferously - and I always will!

I can point to occasions where getting behind a player low in confidence has changed a match in our favour. I have NEVER seen an occasion where slagging them off has helped one little bit!!!

mad.gif
Not the first time you and me have disagreed about a point like this, and I suspect not the last.

I think your reaction is a bit like looking at the world through rose tinted glasses. Players never do anything wrong, they never deserve criticism and the fans must always have positive things to say about them...... B0llox is what I say to that!

I do criticise when things are not going well, its human nature, you name me one person who doesnt moan, or get frustrated when a player does something wrong when they shouldnt and Ill name you a superhuman. The whole of the crowd were getting frustrated Saturday, and not because Lee Trundle was putting on a masterclass, but because we were doing too many of the simple things badly.

Im not advacating abuse towards the players, I never would, but they cannot expect people to constantly praise them if they are not doing well.

I do praise the team when its deserved, and I do get behind them when things are not going well, but I reserved the right to criticise them if I feel its warranted.

Its my opinion, just in the same way you attempted to ridicule mine.

The players have to deal with that Im afraid, its part and parcel of living the dream... Being a professional footballer!! They take the adoration when things go well, and quite rightly they should, but the world is not ideal, and the other side of the coin does exist.

If Maher misplaces a pass or for the umpteenth time in a game sends a set piece into the keepers arms or behind the line for a goal kick, does it not make me a fan if i vent my annoyance at that? Dont be so ridiculous!

If you have gone through life where you have never been criticised or you have never felt the need to do so yourself, then you are one lucky guy, but for the majority, life is not like that im afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Nov. 14 2005,17:20)]Not the first time you and me have disagreed about a point like this, and I suspect not the last.

I think your reaction is a bit like looking at the world through rose tinted glasses.  Players never do anything wrong, they never deserve criticism and the fans must always have positive things to say about them...... B0llox is what I say to that!

I do criticise when things are not going well, its human nature, you name me one person who doesnt moan, or get frustrated when a player does something wrong when they shouldnt and Ill name you a superhuman.  The whole of the crowd were getting frustrated Saturday, and not because Lee Trundle was putting on a masterclass, but because we were doing too many of the simple things badly.

Im not advacating abuse towards the players, I never would, but they cannot expect people to constantly praise them if they are not doing well.

I do praise the team when its deserved, and I do get behind them when things are not going well, but I reserved the right to criticise them if I feel its warranted.

Its my opinion, just in the same way you attempted to ridicule mine.

The players have to deal with that Im afraid, its part and parcel of living the dream... Being a professional footballer!!  They take the adoration when things go well, and quite rightly they should, but the world is not ideal, and the other side of the coin does exist.

If Maher misplaces a pass or for the umpteenth time in a game sends a set piece into the keepers arms or behind the line for a goal kick, does it not make me a fan if i vent my annoyance at that?  Dont be so ridiculous!

If you have gone through life where you have never been criticised or you have never felt the need to do so yourself, then you are one lucky guy, but for the majority, life is not like that im afraid.
Superb post, totally agree

I'm not going one way or the other here, but I find people like that really annoying. Granted if Fred's just missed a sitter or Kev's just managed to KO a few people in the South Upper from a free kick then groan and all that. But moaning ten minutes in? That's not on.

And just how did a drunk manage to get in?

10 minutes in, we were playing ok not great but we were keeping it together, one thing i have to moan about is, every goal, every long ball was all to Trundle and yet no one was picking him up

Couldn't beleive the lack of singing around the ground especially after the Bristol experience when we must have sung for the entire game and made far more noise than the combined efforts of 9,500 blues fans saturday. Whether it was being in ore of the Swansea surpport which was quite exceptional even for the north bank acoustic standards or whether a few ring leaders that normally start it all off were missing. Apart from a few England! England! chants at the begining, to get anything going past the north west end to where i sitting in the west middle was futile.... people just didnt seem to want to know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skyblue @ Nov. 14 2005,18:49)]Couldn't beleive the lack of singing around the ground especially after the Bristol experience when we must have sung for the entire game and made far more noise than the combined efforts of 9,500 blues fans saturday. Whether it was being in ore of the Swansea surpport which was quite exceptional even for the north bank acoustic standards or whether a few ring leaders that normally start it all off were missing. Apart from a few England! England! chants at the begining, to get anything going past the north west end to where i sitting in the west middle was futile.... people just didnt seem to want to know.
I fear that you are revelling in those halcean days when clubs had 'ends'. Can you not see the pattern in your arguement? Bristol city, all of the away supporters together, Swansea at our place, all of the away supporters together.....and so on...Thing is, you get little pockets of home 'singers' all around the ground nowdays, and though they try to pick up on each others 'chants' it just dont work. Oh.....and i suppose it doesnt help that the southend songbook appears to be limited to that poxy 'stand up' thing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Nov. 14 2005,15:40)]bertie we're probly in agreement here more than you think. We can recognise a useless player or inept pass like the rest and can have a moan, sigh or moreoften than not with one player recently spend  many a moment shaking the head and peering to the sky. What me and I suspect S in a Kilt object to is those people who very loudly and very incessantly think we want to hear their drivel for the entire 90 mins. And those of course who never ever praise or in the time honoured moaner  fashion say things like "that was a good bit of play - very unlike him, or he'll never do that again" Sorry I've had enough of it and I pay my money too.
Exactly, C-y-B's. I don't stand (sorry, sit) there all match thinking "lovely, what a superb pass, pity it went straight to Trundle in space, never mind better luck next time". But there is absolutely no benefit in shouting abuse at your own players. And I think you will find that they hear a lot more than you might think.

I pay to go to matches and I object to my enjoyment being spoiled by constant negative criticism. Annoying enough if it is just to the crowd around, but it infuriates me when it is deliberately shouted out for the player to potentially hear - it can't help and it often harms, and I don't want anything to happen that might even slightly affect my team's performance. As has been said on this thread already, on the logic of the arguement I am entitled to loudly criticise and abuse any fan who behaves in a way that annoys me. After all it won't affect him will it?

Back