• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend's problem

SUFC4LIFE

the player's are lazy, they will coast if they can..

I think Tilly is behind a lot of our success but the players only try when they can be bothered too or need to

We have pulled off results this season which would prove it would be no fluke if we were up there next season.

At the start of the season we were poor and yet we had a team that is very similar to what it is now. Lack of motivation playing a part but as soon as we get dragged into a relegation scr*p the players find some form from somewhere and start to try harder.

They have to be prepared to do this for a whole season. What a great way to earn a living doing something you love but then you just seem to forget your love for the game and just look forward to the pay packet each week.

I think our problem lies with our mentality fundamentally... others views on this??

I don't know, maybe there is a bit of truth in it - not just aimed at the current batch of players but lower league footballers in general (certainly many of the ones who've played for Southend in recent years).

It appears at times that many of them, particularly the younger ones, take the fantastic job they have for granted. Even playing in the 3rd Division can bring in a decent wage for someone in their late teens/early twenties plus all the kudos that comes with being a pro-footballer. Too many of our players over a period of time think they've already made it when they reach the first team, or worse still think it's beneath them playing for us because they were once on the books of a Prem side and feel it's just a matter of time before they will be back there.

As SUFC4LIFE points out, some of the results we've achieved this season and some of the performances we've put in prove that we don't lack in talent. However how many of us haven't, after the more dire games we've had to endure, questioned their commitment or their desire or their passion to win games for the club?

It is largely the same group of players we had at the start of the season and Tilly and Brush won't have had time to coach them into being that much better players to see the improvements we have. Tactically they haven't done anything drastic either - we are playing a pretty basic 442 not some amazing new formation and way of playing dreamt up in the Roots Hall bootroom and about to change the face of modern football.

So what Steve Tilson and Paul Brush are doing is motivating the players and getting them to play with maximum effort and to their full potential. This of course a basic skill needed in any management role. However you could argue that why any young man being paid to do as a job the thing he loves should need motivating is beyond the comprehension to the rest of us, who'd give up a great deal to have had the chance they have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 16 2004,17:15)]I have an alternative theory.

You are talking out of your arse.
Quite true.

A manager can only go as far as picking a team and tactics, and choosing a training schedule.

At the end of the day, if the players can't be arsed to pull off a good performance then the manager has basically done diddily squat.

However, what a manager can do is motivate his players. If this is what he done to the blues, or if finally alarm bells went off in their heads saying 'oh oh spagettio' i do not know.

i'm not taking anything away from Tilson in the least, as what he has pulled off is a pure miracle. However, I think it was more the realisation on the players behalf that they needed to perform, rather than Tilson's talks which gave us victory after victory.

P.S. why on earth are we talking about this topic, when we are having a good run? Can't the critisism just stop for a bit?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 16 2004,17:15)]I have an alternative theory.

You are talking out of your arse.
very true!!

I think that tilson himself has made the pleayers work harder, but wignall did not and thats y we were down in the botttom.

Back