• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apologies in advance, just in case... I have no intention of upsetting anyone, I am trying to be objective and helpful.

What is the aim of getting reps from different groups together? What is the purpose, and what are the Trust hoping to achieve? Is it to 'answer the criticisms' or is it to promote diversity and inclusivity?

Why now, and why does it need to be single reps from different groups - why not ask just to meet a diverse cross section of all our fan base?

To be honest, after being a season ticket holder for 15 years, I still can't quite get my head round how the official supporters trust has managed to alienate a fairly sizeable proportion of the club's fan base, and has seemingly done very little in all this time to engage, enthuse or include everyone. I have heard different views and opinions, but I don't really know the history, and quite frankly I don't want to know, because all I really care about is supporting my team and enjoying (most of the time) going to RH and the odd away game. I enjoy SZ, because I like the banter and the discussion, and I also like the fact that everyone can have their say (within the rules obviously), and everyone's opinion counts equally. I really would like to see one supporters club, I just don't think it can happen until there is recognition of the need for things to be done differently - as what is there now clearly isn't working!

Therefore, can I lay down a challenge please? Can we create one inclusive supporters club that everyone who loves Southend United wants to be part of...?

I am prepared to offer my services as a facilitator (which is a key part of my professional life) at a future meeting, as I can't do the 16th, if there is a really clear purpose and aim, and it is genuinely inclusive for all Southend fans and is tolerant of the wide range of views. Happy to speak offline if it helps.

Cheers Wino.

Msbrush, it was never intended to have single representatives, however, we wanted at least one, not more than three, from the various different entities.

I am not aware that the Trust has alienated "a fairly sizeable proportion", some, yes. We've tried to listen to criticism and to embrace change. The Trust is now more open than it's ever been, and the meeting is designed to encourage all the different groups to work together in one common aim - supporting the club. It sounds as if you have the right intentions, so if you would like to pm me your contact details, I will pass them on. Hopefully you could be involved at a subsequent meeting.

Apologies in advance, just in case... I have no intention of upsetting anyone, I am trying to be objective and helpful.

What is the aim of getting reps from different groups together? What is the purpose, and what are the Trust hoping to achieve? Is it to 'answer the criticisms' or is it to promote diversity and inclusivity?

Why now, and why does it need to be single reps from different groups - why not ask just to meet a diverse cross section of all our fan base?

To be honest, after being a season ticket holder for 15 years, I still can't quite get my head round how the official supporters trust has managed to alienate a fairly sizeable proportion of the club's fan base, and has seemingly done very little in all this time to engage, enthuse or include everyone. I have heard different views and opinions, but I don't really know the history, and quite frankly I don't want to know, because all I really care about is supporting my team and enjoying (most of the time) going to RH and the odd away game. I enjoy SZ, because I like the banter and the discussion, and I also like the fact that everyone can have their say (within the rules obviously), and everyone's opinion counts equally. I really would like to see one supporters club, I just don't think it can happen until there is recognition of the need for things to be done differently - as what is there now clearly isn't working!

Therefore, can I lay down a challenge please? Can we create one inclusive supporters club that everyone who loves Southend United wants to be part of...?

I am prepared to offer my services as a facilitator (which is a key part of my professional life) at a future meeting, as I can't do the 16th, if there is a really clear purpose and aim, and it is genuinely inclusive for all Southend fans and is tolerant of the wide range of views. Happy to speak offline if it helps.

Different groups do different things

We do need someone from SZ
Things are starting to look just too bright.
We need someone to bring us back back down to earth and look on the dark side :smile:

Cheers Wino.

Msbrush, it was never intended to have single representatives, however, we wanted at least one, not more than three, from the various different entities.

I am not aware that the Trust has alienated "a fairly sizeable proportion", some, yes. We've tried to listen to criticism and to embrace change. The Trust is now more open than it's ever been, and the meeting is designed to encourage all the different groups to work together in one common aim - supporting the club. It sounds as if you have the right intentions, so if you would like to pm me your contact details, I will pass them on. Hopefully you could be involved at a subsequent meeting.

PM coming over...

Ok I'll try a serious post.

I'm all for the Trust trying to engage with fans and trying to take views and criticism on board. I wrote a long post a while ago about why the Trust and fans have the same objectives/desire, and why working together is sensible.

However, there's a difference between working with fans, and looking for 'representation from SZ'. SZ isn't a supporters group or organisation. It's a privately run and funded message board which has been owned by various SUFC fans over the years.

If you want to engage with 'SZ' - then it's a messageboard - it's literally the easiest place to engage with SUFC fans.

If you want representation, then you're unlikely to get that. Firstly, because we all disagree on things. Secondly, because people didn't sign up for Zone to become a member of 'a supporters group'. Thirdly, because although we're a community there isn't someone on here who can claim to represent the views of the membership - even the owners.

Finally - Talking about 'factions' of fans is really divisive.

Finally finally - If the original post was just about 'supporters', rather than 'supporters groups' - it'd be spot on.

Finally finally finally old nan said she's not going if pubey is.

Has the Trust published an account of the meeting which was held last Tuesday ?
I haven't seen anything, but then, I don't know if the intention was to publish an "account", which makes it sound a lot more formal than what was intended. Maybe the Zone representative/s could report back?

I do know of some points raised but as the meeting was called by the Trust I feel they should be given the opportunity to speak first.

I could give a comment from someone who attended but it might not be to everyone's taste.

I do know of some points raised but as the meeting was called by the Trust I feel they should be given the opportunity to speak first.

I could give a comment from someone who attended but it might not be to everyone's taste.

Sounds good to me, go on !

As you will be aware, I attended on behalf of the contributors to SZ.

I did say that I would post an account on here which I hope to do tomorrow, unfortunately, since last Tuesday, things have been a little manic and I haven't had the chance to cobble a report together, should have an hour spare tomorrow......

As you will be aware, I attended on behalf of the contributors to SZ.

I did say that I would post an account on here which I hope to do tomorrow, unfortunately, since last Tuesday, things have been a little manic and I haven't had the chance to cobble a report together, should have an hour spare tomorrow......

As you will see from further up the thread, I offered to attend the Supporters Forum initiated by members of the Shrimpers Trust on behalf of ShrimperZone on 16[SUP]th[/SUP] December and report back to the SZ Forum.
Firstly, I must apologise for being a bit tardy, work and other pressures have got in the way a bit but I have finally managed to squeeze it in.

The meeting was attended by the members of the Trust mentioned in the original post, myself, representatives from Travel Zone, a representative for the disabled supporters and another invited supporter.

I reiterated what had already been discussed here, that the Zone and the discussion forum are exactly that, a discussion forum, and that it would be impossible to represent all the opposing and disparate views in a formal manner. The Zone’s use in moving any actions forward would really be as a communication channel to it’s contributors and vice versa back to any formal Forum.

The Trust members said that they were trying to open up more open communication to any other groups through this Forum as they felt that there was a feeling, rightly, or wrongly, that the Trust was seen as a faceless and even secretive organisation by many and this was something that they wished to break down.
There was a feeling amongst some of the others present that it wasn’t always apparent what the Trust had achieved or what it was always trying to achieve. To this end I suggested that the Trust could make better use of SZ and use it to post threads detailing the minutes of their Liaison Meetings with SUFC, these are published as open to the public on the Trust but depend on supporters going to their site whereas they might get more penetration to a different supporter base on SZ.

Further discussion went on about what the groups felt could be achieved by the Supporters Forum, I made a point that I felt an obvious function would be to channel any issues each group felt could be resolved into the Trust for possible escalation onto the Liaison meeting agendas, the Trust is ideally placed to carry out this function having regular, established, meetings with the CEO of the Club.

Further discussion then took place around what would be achievable and all present agreed that the major stumbling block over what any organisation could realistically hope to resolve with anything that was impacting on the supporters match day, or otherwise, experience with the Club was constrained by any certainty over the stadium development. It would be unrealistic to expect large capital expenditure with an impending move due but a different attitude could be taken if a move is some years away. Sadly it was felt that an answer to this question detailing a timescale on a move was highly unlikely to be forthcoming from the Club as this, so far, has always been described as ‘commercially sensitive’.
It was however felt that issues such as improving catering and the bars, ticket office experience, and some of the smaller structural issues which mostly impact on the disabled members should not necessarily be out of scope for attention regardless of timescale. An example of something which causes impact was that no ramp was available to give the disabled representative access up the step into the Shrimpers’ Bar to attend this meeting; he had to be helped in and sat down while his wheelchair was lifted up the step by other attendees.
The conclusion from the meeting was that the Trust members would take these thoughts back to their next Committee meeting in the New Year and that those in attendance would like to see another meeting shortly after to see whether there is a common way forward.
In the meantime those of us there undertook to ask those we were representing what they would like to see on an achievable ‘wish list’ going forward. I undertook to start a thread on SZ asking for input from the SZ contributors and to correlate it for the anticipated meeting in the New Year.

Personally, I felt from the meeting that all present had a desire to achieve improvements in the match day and contact experience with the Club and improve communication and liaison between all the interested parties but all felt the same, that what will be achievable is very much constrained by the uncertainty over the Stadium development.
What any organisation can achieve in these circumstances is, I feel, very uncertain. Having said that, I feel that this initiative should be given a fair chance, who knows, it may have legs....

If the owners and contributors of the Zone are happy then I’ll carry out the actions I promised at the meeting and will be happy to attend any subsequent meeting.

Good one Trevor.

I think all people who were present, despite their wants and demands, must realise that the club do not want to spend any money , other than that required by law, on Roots Hall.

Best of luck.

Well reported, that's annoying about the disabled supporter not having the necessary access. We understood that a disabled access was to be available on the night, but it is a fair point and should be fairly easily resolvable.

Back