• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

gatecrasher

Odd title but here me out....

I have done alot of work with Brighton and Hove Albion and it has dawned on me that Southend find themselves very much in the same dangerous position that Brighton did back in 1997.

At the time Brighton had a Chairman called Mr Bellotti (Ron with less lushious hair) who promised them a new ground, sold the Goldstone and instead of a Sainsbury built a Toys R Us on it.

He then did a bunk and left the club homeless and no money from the sale of the ground, Brighton then ground shared with Gillingham and ultimately spent 13 long years fighting for the survival of the club by having to play at a converted athletics track We can only hope that somewhere out there and I imagine there is judging by the wealth in Essex that Southend can find their own Tony Bloom or else this could very well be our future...

The moral here is so long as us fans stick together get behind the team no matter how w**k they play, it does not matter who is in charge, what he does, how dark things become one day we could be like Brighton. New Stadium to push the club forward sitting top of our league even if it has not all happend when it was first promised!

UTB

Odd title but here me out....

I have done alot of work with Brighton and Hove Albion and it has dawned on me that Southend find themselves very much in the same dangerous position that Brighton did back in 1997.

At the time Brighton had a Chairman called Mr Bellotti (Ron with less lushious hair) who promised them a new ground, sold the Goldstone and instead of a Sainsbury built a Toys R Us on it.

He then did a bunk and left the club homeless and no money from the sale of the ground, Brighton then ground shared with Gillingham and ultimately spent 13 long years fighting for the survival of the club by having to play at a converted athletics track We can only hope that somewhere out there and I imagine there is judging by the wealth in Essex that Southend can find their own Tony Bloom or else this could very well be our future...

The moral here is so long as us fans stick together get behind the team no matter how w**k they play, it does not matter who is in charge, what he does, how dark things become one day we could be like Brighton. New Stadium to push the club forward sitting top of our league even if it has not all happend when it was first promised!

UTB

The new Brighton ? More likely the New Brighton.

Its concerned me for a long time that we could end up like brighton with no ground and having to ground share for years or worse the club going out of business altogether.
I know a lot of Southend fans here still hold out to the faint hope we are going to get a new ground but we have to face reality there is no new ground on the horizon and we could find ourselves in exactly the same position Brighton were in a few years ago.

On the Bight side, despite all of this Brighton didn't go bust and no look at them. So even in the darkest of times there could still be
light at the end of the tunnel.

On the Bight side, despite all of this Brighton didn't go bust and no look at them. So even in the darkest of times there could still be

Or we could end up like Accrington, Aldershot, Chester or Maidstone, or with the connivance of the Football League be franchsied as was the fate of Wimbledon.

Are you suggesting we go and watch Gillingham or Charlton ?

Some of the oldies will get it though.:winking:

And some of the really oldies will remember about 60 Southend supporters spending the night in New Brighton after the win at Tranmere on Good Friday (Colin Flatt's finest (only?) moment) before going on to lose at Stockport the following day ...... a mere 44 years ago in our first ever season in the Fourth Division.

Back