• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Jeez, what sad pics of the Ritz, my favourite of the Southend cinemas in those days.

Yep, especially the rather eerie ones taken from inside looking out, with the seating area still visible.

I always look at photos like that and imagine all the people over the years who've sat there and enjoyed a show/film or night out. Almost like their ghosts and memories have gone, as well.

I find demolition sites difficult to take in, as a result.

Last edited:
The one in the foreground in front of the Gasworks jetty was the Corporation Loading Pier.

Thanks. I looked at it again and started to think the concrete bit used to go out further. Obviously it didn't.

Here are some more pics of the Southend Corporation Loading Pier and its demolition.

35.png

36.png

37.png

38.jpg

39.png

40.png

41.png

And it is gone

42.png

Thanks that's how I remember it. A great place to explore especially as you weren't allowed to.
The photo from pier hill it look there's another wooden section on the end. Its time I bought a decent magnifying glass.

I do remember about 15 years back someone wanting to buy it and open a restaurant on the site. The council said no. With some imagination and a decent sun deck etc I think that really would have worked. Could have linked it to the right Hotel opposite

Fascinating series of shots there - thanks v.m. for posting them. It always seemed to be something that was just 'there', albeit something of an eyesore, so having never seen any of the above demolition shots was a first for me :Thumbs up:

Glad you liked the pics, they bring back great memories of Southend's fantastic historical past.

You sometimes do not realise how much you miss seeing some of those fantastic grand and superb Edwardian, Victorian, and Art Deco buildings Southend had especially the beautiful Hotels, Cinemas, Public Houses, Shops, and Grand Houses it once had.

Most of these were knocked down to make way for so called "New modern concrete developments", "Tower Blocks", and "Office Blocks" which have no character and added no architectural benefit to the town. Some of these new developments are now falling down, or have been empty for years, or look terrible and add nothing to Southend's appeal.

Post #248 Photos 1 and 3 are really eerie. Superbly shot.

The first could be mistaken for the aftermath of a First World War battlefield.

Post #248 Photos 1 and 3 are really eerie. Superbly shot.

The first could be mistaken for the aftermath of a First World War battlefield.

It was the 5th photo that caught my eye. The girl in the foreground looks to have big blue pants on. Its obviously very discrete and only someone with an eye for art would see it.

all this nostalgia and demolition made me think of the Grand Pier Hotel which stood where Debenhams is now next to the Ritz. Even John Betjeman could not save it from SBC and the bulldozer. Happily Ramuz's 2 other grand hotels The Grand in Leigh now being refurbished and the Anne Boleyn are still standing. I'm not clever enough to put the pictures up but this is the Southend timeline link
https://www.southendtimeline.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=9962713

That one caught my eye, as well, in post #19. They even moved old Queen Victoria out of the way, as well.

I didn't realise Sir JB himself got involved.

Lovely building. Like the Hotel Victoria, also consigned to history.

I was in the Records Office in Chelmsford (yes I really am that sad) and they have a letter from him to a bloke who was trying vainly to save it from the great man.

Wow! That's quite something.

Nothing stops SBC though, as you say, sadly.

Totally agree, BD, a gradual transformation from a vibrant town full of character with many interesting and unique buildings and businesses, both large and small, which also attracted many visitors. What SBC have done over the years is criminal and been of no benefit to residents or maintaining visitor interest. Change for the sake of change, nothing more.

My final word on this subject. I agree whole heartedly that SBC have wrecked a once superb and vibrant town centre.....for what purpose? It is heart breaking. Thankfully they can't destroy memories. RIP dear old town centre.

Off down there shortly for a last Christmas shopping trip, can’t say I’m looking forward to it....

Back