• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

Yep, they'll demolish anything.

I'm surprised The Palace Hotel is still standing!

Same fate befell two other churches, Trinity Church in London Road and the Baptist church in Clarence Road near the Echo offices....obviously nothing is regarded as sacred to SBC !

How could I miss out the most famous and longest pleasure pier in the world?

Some old pics

Pier extension low res.jpg

pier low res 2.jpg

Pier 1890s low res 2.jpg

southend-pier-vintage-photo.jpeg

Piers-05-590.jpg

Some old Standard 8 cine footage (no sound) including Southend Airport, Southend High Street, Victoria Circus, London Road, The Grand Pier Hotel, The Ritz Cinema, and Hamlet Court Road from the early 60's.

Southend High Street looking north with Keddies on the right. 1980

View attachment 6516
Ahhhh, my dear old Midland Bank branch - started working there in January 1987 and left, eventually, in 1999 by which time it had become the HSBC at the top of the High Street. Met and made many wonderful friends there, and loved working there. Was Chief Cashier through the time of the refurbishment when the old banking hall became an open plan area and the counter was reduced to three people. How we weren't subject to a raid at that time I will never know!

Great thread, very interesting and brings back loads of memories!

Keddies was great (Especially the Burberry and Benetton outlets, I remember during the early 80s a lot of their stock got regularly ‘taxed’ by the local Southend Casuals)

Golden Disc in Queens Road

Rosehills just off of the High Street, my mum could never afford to buy me a real Fred Perry v-neck though :-(

Clothes shop called ‘46’ near the pier end of the High Street

Peacheys fruit n veg shop

Also the knackered old electronic sign on the Victoria shopping centre, which I later believe was our crappy score board on top of the North Bank for a while!!

I forgot to mention the greatest shop in Southend, refusing to move with the times in any way shape or form and open when it suits the owner.

The One, The Only! - Africa Crafts Centre - in Queens Road! :Happy:

I forgot to mention the greatest shop in Southend, refusing to move with the times in any way shape or form and open when it suits the owner.

The One, The Only! - Africa Crafts Centre - in Queens Road! :Happy:

This one?

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Is Carmel Records still going then. Forgot about that place.

Yep, TBD. That's the place! .. It's been like that since the 1970s!

What I love about The ACC is the idea that the owner thought "What this town needs is an African crafts outlet"... and he was right!

Back