• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

The Palace Hotel wasn't next to the Ritz, it was opposite. It also had one of the biggest bingo halls in the country, the Palace Bingo. It had the best cash prizes out of all the bingo halls in the Southend area because of the big and loyal attendance. The Palace Hotel is now of course the Park Inn. I almost lived down the seafront as a youngster, and if I missed the number 29 bus at the top of Pier Hill, I would cut through Grove Road to get more choice of busses, the ones that went along London Road instead of Fairfax Drive, back to Leigh. So I walked along Grove Road many times.

Aren't they just superb.

Some wonderful cine film shots, as well.

Of course. I remember now when it was a bingo hall.

Presumably around the time The Odeon changed from a concert venue to a cinema.

No, the Odeon was always a cinema, started life as the Astoria in the 1930’s before being renamed after joining the Odeon chain.

Thanks, Kaymac.

I thought they did concerts there in the 60's or did it double up and do both?

Yes, it did both. Had well over 2,000 seats plus dressing rooms so it was an ideal venue for concerts, notably in the early 1960’s.

I recall queuing outside the Ritz in the 1960s along with umpteen other kids to watch a morning screening of (usually) a Disney film.
Lovely big old cinema was that.

Many thanks, Kaymac.

It looked a lovely old place - The Ritz.

Earlier, I came across this excellent site about the old theatres and cinemas in the town :-

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Southend.htm

Very interesting. The Regal, which is now York Road carpark, might just be the reason behind the red light reputation from years ago due to nude revues shown there back in the 1950's.

Or it might just be my dirty mind.

Here's a (longish) promotional film for Southend....voiceover by Johnny Morris of all people!

I recall queuing outside the Ritz in the 1960s along with umpteen other kids to watch a morning screening of (usually) a Disney film.
Lovely big old cinema was that.

I recall going to Saturday morning pictures at the Mascot, armed with sweet tobacco and sherbet ufo's from the sweet shop round the corner - played a lot of old westerns if memory serves...... I think if burnt down ?

I recall going to Saturday morning pictures at the Mascot, armed with sweet tobacco and sherbet ufo's from the sweet shop round the corner - played a lot of old westerns if memory serves...... I think if burnt down ?

By Indians using burning arrows while cowboys tried to defend it I hope.

Here's a (longish) promotional film for Southend....voiceover by Johnny Morris of all people!

Thoroughly enjoyed that. :Thumbs up:

The Sundeck Theatre on the Pier, The Boating Lake, Westcliff Pool all sadly long gone.

Not sure that date is right. I think the Cliffs Pavilion wasn't opened until the mid-sixties, so I would actually date that more 1966, 1967, I think.

EDIT : Apparently it was shot in 1959 with parts re-shot in 1964 and Johnny Morris' voice added then.

Last edited:
The Beatles 9th December 1963 at The Odeon Southend.

9th-december-the-beatles-posed-at-the-odeon-cinema-in-southendonsea-picture-id453928439

Did you know the original organ in The Ritz was relocated to the Odeon in Blackpool ?

I used go in the tackle shop as well. I also remember a few of the clubs. Used to be Quill's behind what is now Chinnery's, Rain's, Zhivago's and Scamps.

And what was the record shop I used to go in .... Queens Road or Alexander Street

Did you know the original organ in The Ritz was relocated to the Odeon in Blackpool ?

I used go in the tackle shop as well. I also remember a few of the clubs. Used to be Quill's behind what is now Chinnery's, Rain's, Zhivago's and Scamps.

And what was the record shop I used to go in .... Queens Road or Alexander Street

Golden disc was at the corner of Queens Road and Napier when I moved there in 82

Back