• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
On Sunday I went to watch Southend Under 11's (I think) in a match vs Brighton. I have been promising to go and watch Southend's number one (Lucky Luca) for a while but for the past two seasons it has been rained and then snowed off. Lucky enough though this Sundays game was on.

The Mrs had agreed to baby sit her sisters two kids so the only way I coud swing a pass was to take two of the four kids we had to baby sit. I of course chose my daughter altough at 18 months she didnt really understand what was going on. My son at 8 weeks was a bridge to far so I opted for my five year old neice.

Got there nice and early and met my mates from the south Upper Dan (D.O.L.L) and Dal both of who's sons pay for the side. Sadly the week before the game Luca got injured in a match vs Norwich so its was only little Dan I went to watch in the end.

I cannot say how much I enjoyed the game. I got so ****ed off last season watching a number of players that clearly didnt care to play for Southend and at times you almost become disallusioned with it but watching how much it meant to those lads to be playing football and playing for southend it kind of reawakens the passion inside you.

On to the game. We took the lead a low drilled shot by one of the midfielders was finished off by Emile our forward. 1-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Brighton stormed back into it 2-1 at the end of the second quarter. We brought on a few subs who I think if I am honest weekened the side a lot. I missed a lot of this half as the niece were playing up

Third quarter our lads came out and looked up for it. Brighton were awarded the most suspect penalty I have ever seen by the spotty oik of a home ref. His decisions made the ref from the film Escape to Victory look neutral. They scored but we kepy on fighting and little Dan from the back scored a header. Now baring in mind he is probably ten I am not talking a header - this was a HEADER. He rose like a salmon out jumped a kid half his size again and powered the ball into the roof of the net. 3-2 down but the fightback was on.

The final quarter our keeper (Not Luca of couse) made a few poor clearances as you expect at that age and gifted them a goal which was a shame. We scored again later on but it was too little too late and we went down 4-3 in a close game.

The one thing that impressed me most was the was these lads can play. Dan and a lad called Chad I think at the back were brave as it comes and made countless super tackles. Sonny in the midfield is like a little Lee Swayer without the attitude and drove forward like a player twice his age, a little midfielder called Alfie I think made tackles I havent seen since the days of Peter Butler and the number 7 whos names escapes me despite being tiny did more step overs and tricks that I have done in my life. Some really top quality lads on show.

Final word has to go to little Dan at the back. I am lucky enough to sit a few seats from him and he is a lovly lad. But to see him on the pitch was truely an experience. Super reading of the game, won everything in the air despite being tiny, tackled like a pro - Really cannot say enough how good he was. really didnt deserve to loose.

I would advise anyone who gets chance to watch these lads as it might just re-awaken some passion in you for football like it did for me.

DtS

Good to hear mate, I'd advise anybody to go and watch the U18's one Saturday morning, especially if we're away that day... It really isn't a bad standard of football at all.

Can certainly echo the comments made by Dave. I have seen the U11's a couple of times and the enthusiasm these kids show is very refreshing to see, Especially when you compared it to watching the morale in the 1st team last season.

well done to the lads... hope they keep up the good work and maybe one day they will be our stars of the future.is there any chance u could post here again or start a new thread for such games as the official site doesnt seem to advertise such things.i really enjoyed last seasons toomey trophy and was gutted to miss this years through a holiday.but during last years one if i remember correctly there was some very young lads playing on a tiny pitch made up by the east stand and i remember 2 or 3 of the boys really stood out for me then that day.there was one that done stepovers for fun whether its the same lad as above i dont know.and there was one particular lad that cleamned up everything in defence but what impressed me was the way he communicated and commanded the back line.... to think when i was that age 20 years ago i played right back and i didnt have someone commanding our back line until we reached about under 14 level.it just shows how much coaching is coming along and what a priveledge it is to have these lads at our club.once again keep up the good work lads

well done to the lads... hope they keep up the good work and maybe one day they will be our stars of the future.is there any chance u could post here again or start a new thread for such games as the official site doesnt seem to advertise such things.i really enjoyed last seasons toomey trophy and was gutted to miss this years through a holiday.but during last years one if i remember correctly there was some very young lads playing on a tiny pitch made up by the east stand and i remember 2 or 3 of the boys really stood out for me then that day.there was one that done stepovers for fun whether its the same lad as above i dont know.and there was one particular lad that cleamned up everything in defence but what impressed me was the way he communicated and commanded the back line.... to think when i was that age 20 years ago i played right back and i didnt have someone commanding our back line until we reached about under 14 level.it just shows how much coaching is coming along and what a priveledge it is to have these lads at our club.once again keep up the good work lads

Both at last year's Toomey Trophy and this year's Youth Tournament at Roots Hall, Southend United Under-12s and Under-10s played against their Arsenal counterparts in short matches of three periods each between the two main games on each day. It really is incredible to see the talent that the youngsters (from both sides) have at such an early age; make sure you get down there next year because it's a real eye-opener. For anyone that's not making the trip to Hereford United in a week-and-a-half's time, I'd recommend getting down to Boots & Laces to see the Under-18s take on Gillingham in the Football League Youth Alliance Cup. Kick-off will be at 11:00am.

Can certainly echo the comments made by Dave. I have seen the U11's a couple of times and the enthusiasm these kids show is very refreshing to see, Especially when you compared it to watching the morale in the 1st team last season.

Agreed mate, we'll have to go again soon, especially if anyoher 10-10 is on the cards!!!!

See you all Saturday :Goal:

Cheers dave, shame I could not play. Looking to come back against the local scum next Sunday.

Back