• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Same old, same old as we dominate and lose again.

Almost identical to Brighton only we had even better chances and dominated more and their goal didn't come so late on. Hunt could've scored and should've done better when he hit straight at the keeper at his near post, as should Payne when he hit wide, but would be very harsh to put the blame on any individuals after a good performance.

Defensively we did well and were unlucky to concede and the midfield fought well, though Timlin and Atkinson picked up foolish yellows which meant they played in second gear. Hard to say what could have been done differently apart from taking more shots and actually putting the ball in the bloody net.

Striker and winger desperately needed.

Bentley 7 A good few stops first half and little he could do about the goal.
White 7 Solid, caught out once by their winger but the only blemish on his performance.
Prosser 7 Dealt with the position well, didn't look comfortable but didn't have many problems either.
Barrett 7 Physical battle with Michael Smith but he kept him quiet, offered an aerial threat but carried away at times.
Coker 7 Kept Byrne quiet down the wing and got forward before Brown went with 3 at the back which meant he couldn't do what he's best at.
Atkinson 5 Works hard and runs around but offers nothing. Not creative enough, doesn't have the pace or the vision, back up at best. Stupid foul for the yellow.
Timlin 6.5 Carried away with his tackling at times but put himself about and pressed well which was missing so much against Walsall.
Leonard 6 Looked like a passenger for large parts of the game, got forward more late on but he is wasted in the holding role which Brown plays him in.
Worrall 7 Threatened with pace and delivery down both wings.
Payne 7.5 Most creative player and gives that spark which has been lacking and was unlucky not to score when he should have done better.
Hunt 7 Lots of classy knock downs but no-one there to follow them up. Should have taken his chance to score but feel he would excel with a partner alongside him to do the running.

Subs
Weston 6 Didn't really get involved and didn't make the most of his pace against tired legs. Great save to deny his header.
Wordsworth 6.5 Not afraid to take a shot and looked dangerous at times but didn't put his stamp on the game.
Pigott 6.5 Put himself about and fought for the ball but nothing came off for him, great save denied him late on.

We had chances and we really need someone who will take them. We have a tough early run of fixtures but every other side has 2/3 chances and buries at least one of them, we have 4/5 and bury none of them.

Brown on BBC Essex was spot on, the performances are good and we haven't had a bad game apart from Walsall, but we need someone to support Hunt and put the ball in the net.

Last edited:
Some serious signings needed before that window closes or we will be well adrift by Christmas. Sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These next 8-9 days of the transfer season will make or break our season. We need another striker, maybe two, and at least one more defender.

Think their keeper is the reason they won, I have no idea how he saved Weston's header.

Obviously the result went against us today, but I think we put in a damn good performance today regardless of the score. And dont be do down hearted... we WILL get some wins under our belt. We are definatly getting there and it wont be long until we pick up the points (with or without "lady luck")

UTB
:happy:

A vast improvement on last Saturday. I thought we played some attractive stuff...but needs to be quicker. Clearly something has to be done in the striker dept' but that's easier said than done. Also, I can't help but think that decreasing the width of the pitch may have been a mistake. All our crosses are overhit by a good few yards.

Much more encouraging performance today than last week but we still look like we're lacking some real league one quality goal threat.

I think we've got to hang fire on seriously judging our chances of survival yet because for one, the transfer window is still open and two, the players are still adjusting to the new division.

In the first half we were playing off of Noel Hunt and there were some nice passages of play where he held it up for onrushing midfielders but we never really carved them open to get a decent chance.

I think Hunt and Piggott would both prefer to play with a partner but I'm not sure they're suited to play together and Mooney hasn't exactly set the world alight so far. A new quick striker is a must. If we can't find one on a perm then let's take a gamble on a Prem youngster. There's not many southern based teams in our division this year so we should be able to get someone decent from one of the London clubs.

lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third lacking quality in the final third........there, I've said it! :smile:
OH!...............and if you don't take your chances, YOU DON'T WIN MATCHES. I think that summary is pretty succinct and thorough.........nothing else to add, is there???

Vast improvement on Walsall.
Really good effort IMO and should have won.
Think both Payne and Westons chances should have been taken.
Tough League and need to learn fast , but getting there.
Above Col U , so there is some light.

Phil Brown on defeat to Swindon Town: "We executed the game plan 99% today, with the 1% - putting the ball in the net – missing."
I know he's trying to sound positive but scoring goals should account for more than 1% of the game plan.

Brown got the tactics spot on today, we closed them down and pressed them hard throughout the first half, had a real go at them in the first 20 mins of the second half, lost our way for 15 mins after they scored but finished strongly.

I was very critical of Brown after Walsall but he got it right today.

Hunt looks class, couple more games to sharpen up and he will do well.

This is our worst start to a season in 11 years.

Back then in 2004, we had also managed to score just a single goal and get just two draws in our first five matches (four in the League and one in the League Cup), but we conceded two more goals than we have so far this season. We finally managed to get our second goal of the season in our fifth League match, courtesy of Adam Barrett, and with two more from him we finally got our first victory in League match number six.

Still, we did end up getting promoted through the play-offs that season, so anything is possible still!

I think we got found out through the middle today. All game I was saying that Barrett and Prosser were just letting the payers come onto them and that was essentially what went wrong as we allowed their centre half to run from his own half unchallenged, then pass to a pacy forward who ran on further unchallenged before slotting it wide to someone who scored.

Hunt I thought was immense and very unlucky. Payne played very well, a step up from last year, but still got caught on the ball and lacks the clinical finishing ability. He should have scored in the second half when Hunt knocked the ball down for him.

Hopefully the ball will start going in before confidence drops.

This is our worst start to a season in 11 years.

Back then in 2004, we had also managed to score just a single goal and get just two draws in our first five matches (four in the League and one in the League Cup), but we conceded two more goals than we have so far this season. We finally managed to get our second goal of the season in our fifth League match, courtesy of Adam Barrett, and with two more from him we finally got our first victory in League match number six.

Still, we did end up getting promoted through the play-offs that season, so anything is possible still!

After signing someone who could score.....

After signing someone who could score.....

Thing is it's not just signing someone who can score! We need other players to get more goals. People like Worrall, Timlin, Wordsworth, Payne, Weston etc need to start helping out with a few goals. We aren't going to stay up with just one striker who can score a few goals!

I am starting to think that Ryan Leonard is Phil Brown's love child !
Never gets substituted and both Atkinson and Timlin were taken off both having better games than him.

Phil Brown on defeat to Swindon Town: "We executed the game plan 99% today, with the 1% - putting the ball in the net – missing."
I know he's trying to sound positive but scoring goals should account for more than 1% of the game plan.

Well, I think I'm with PB on this one. It's not like we didn't have the chances and the ball in the right areas. Weston's header was well saved - if straight above the gk. Piggot's late effort even better saved. Payne should have done so much better from Hunt's knock down - to not hit the target was criminal.

Great performance, well done to the team and PB on everything apart from putting the ball in the net. Frustrating but that is football. If we had the money to by two 20+ proven strikers we'd be called Manchester United, not Southend United.

I think we'll be alright, overall, and survival will do me. Especially with that level of performance.

Payne 7.5 Most creative player and gives that spark which has been lacking and was unlucky not to score when he should have done better.

I disagree with this score. There's a player in Jack definitely, he's very good with the ball at his feet and he's quick to turn, but there's just no end product and no impact on the game for me, and there hasn't been for some time. He runs around a lot, looking skilfull with the ball at his feet, but he doesn't get his head up and do anything with it. It may come with experience, and I hope it does, but i'm just not sure about his footballing brain. He's a luxury player, and for me this is not the time to be playing luxury players.

It may be a slightly controversial view, though I know i'm not the only one who thinks this. In L1 you simply have to take you chances and 12 yards out and unopposed he fluffed the best chance of the match. We have to judge him against the standards of other players not go soft on him because he's one of our own. it was the same last week, he looked good, but what did he actually do? What impact did he have on the game? None.

He needs to learn and learn quick, and I really hope he does because it would great to see an academy prospect really flourish at our club for a change.

I am starting to think that Ryan Leonard is Phil Brown's love child !
Never gets substituted and both Atkinson and Timlin were taken off both having better games than him.

I wasn't at the game but pretty sure it was wise to take Timlin off when already on a booking.

Back