• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

Sorry to bring this up now, was too ****ed off to post at the time.

That's the worst performance we've had under MM for me, and I include the Port Vale game in that. That second half was appalling. Gutless, clueless, everything you don't want in a performance we had in that second 45. As I'm typing this I'm getting the hump again.

That penalty mate. **** off. Can only assume MM is trying to protect Akinola by saying he's the normal pen taker. Why Demi isn't our designated penalty taker if so is just poor.

The subs. **** me the subs. Like for like (positional wise anyway) when we're chasing a game, what is the thought process there? I get our goal difference and all that, but show some bollocks. However you rate Acquah, it doesn't matter. His job is to be the big guy. We bring him off, replace him with Holmes and continue to pump it long whilst experienced Greg Halford is sitting in the stands getting splinters. I honestly wouldn't expect to see that from a decent Sunday league side. Inexcusable.

Signs of discontent are visible now as well. Players visibly piping up with the management at points in the game, Ferguson in particular when he was subbed IIRC. That happens a lot of course, but not in that manner. That to me looked like a few of the senior players losing trust and giving up. Add the penalty into that as well potentially.

Now for the performances. If you can't get yourself up for that game then just **** off now. Have a word with the manager and say you're not up for it. Pretend you're injured. Just don't play. I'll be honest, I'm not one for the fans sending messages of encouragement. Great idea and all that, but they shouldn't need it. But after the effort some people went to, that was almost like a massive **** you from the players. The majority just didn't seem to give a toss.

Being more constructive now, ironically we were getting overrun in the midfield without the extra man and it allowed them to play through us with ease at times. Saying that, they were pretty ****, and it didn't take a lot to play through us.

I'm still not in the sack him camp. I don't see what it achieves apart from more debt, more instability, more reactive decisions rather than proactive. This still all ultimately boils down to a lack of planning in the first place, but if we see that standard of performance in the next game or 2, I would not put it past Ron pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
A comment from the Carlisle fans forum. Difficult to argue with him on that display:

There has to be recognition of what a God awful side Southend are. They're pretty much the perfect team to play when you're on the back of a stinking run, lumbering in defence and entirely toothless upfront.

They were playing long ball as well, but to a lower standard than the garbage we play.

A comment from the Carlisle fans forum. Difficult to argue with him on that display:

There has to be recognition of what a God awful side Southend are. They're pretty much the perfect team to play when you're on the back of a stinking run, lumbering in defence and entirely toothless upfront.

They were playing long ball as well, but to a lower standard than the garbage we play.
Fine, but we actually have a good defence. Just didn't show that on Saturday.

Fine, but we actually have a good defence. Just didn't show that on Saturday.

We have a reasonable defence when John White or Dieng play at centre back otherwise it’s pants even though everyone else has to run back and defend at the slightest danger.

Sorry to bring this up now, was too ****ed off to post at the time.

That's the worst performance we've had under MM for me, and I include the Port Vale game in that. That second half was appalling. Gutless, clueless, everything you don't want in a performance we had in that second 45. As I'm typing this I'm getting the hump again.

That penalty mate. **** off. Can only assume MM is trying to protect Akinola by saying he's the normal pen taker. Why Demi isn't our designated penalty taker if so is just poor.

The subs. **** me the subs. Like for like (positional wise anyway) when we're chasing a game, what is the thought process there? I get our goal difference and all that, but show some bollocks. However you rate Acquah, it doesn't matter. His job is to be the big guy. We bring him off, replace him with Holmes and continue to pump it long whilst experienced Greg Halford is sitting in the stands getting splinters. I honestly wouldn't expect to see that from a decent Sunday league side. Inexcusable.

Signs of discontent are visible now as well. Players visibly piping up with the management at points in the game, Ferguson in particular when he was subbed IIRC. That happens a lot of course, but not in that manner. That to me looked like a few of the senior players losing trust and giving up. Add the penalty into that as well potentially.

Now for the performances. If you can't get yourself up for that game then just **** off now. Have a word with the manager and say you're not up for it. Pretend you're injured. Just don't play. I'll be honest, I'm not one for the fans sending messages of encouragement. Great idea and all that, but they shouldn't need it. But after the effort some people went to, that was almost like a massive **** you from the players. The majority just didn't seem to give a toss.

Being more constructive now, ironically we were getting overrun in the midfield without the extra man and it allowed them to play through us with ease at times. Saying that, they were pretty ****, and it didn't take a lot to play through us.

I'm still not in the sack him camp. I don't see what it achieves apart from more debt, more instability, more reactive decisions rather than proactive. This still all ultimately boils down to a lack of planning in the first place, but if we see that standard of performance in the next game or 2, I would not put it past Ron pulling the trigger.

Don’t disagree with any of that to be honest. I’m not in the sack him camp either, but do wonder about his decision making sometimes. It’s all a bit cautious and careful. I just want to see him put all his attacking cards on the table sometimes and tell them to go and give it a ****ing good go. The long ball is most frustrating at the moment. I like Acquah and think his hold up play has improved massively, but he isn’t great in the air and doesn’t win many. That still doesn’t stop us just pumping long balls up to him that achieve nothing. It just all seems a bit clueless.

Rather than messages of support for the next game, I’d rather just print out your post and let them read that instead!

Regards to the penalty incident. MM talking ****! He just covering for Akinola...... jd is sufc penalty taker! When ang went to take the penalty against scunthorpe, jd wanted to take the penalty and the same thing yesterday.
From what I heard, Sim was the agreed pen taker on both occasions. Hed been wanting them for ages and was waiting for a chance, but from memory he wasn't on the pitch for the ANG one. JD initially went for it because of that, but ANG wanted it badly so it was agreed there and then and he scored. Had Sim been on the pitch he would have taken it not ANG. Im not 100% sure but I believe JD could be back on them now after Sims miss. Until we get one we wont know.

Back