• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Peterborough United

Oi yeah I agree with that definitely. Very very demanding to play with 2/3 formations in a game depending on phases and then to ask for possession football. ****ing difficult.

I’d like to see 4231. Same philosophy. But just a little more standardised.
I've seen formations that naturally go between two during a game. 442 diamond and 352. 442 can become 352 if someone steps up into deep midfield and the full backs tuck in. I'm sure there are others. I think the diamond/352 could suit us. I think Cox would thrive in a 4231 but only if we hold it up top and have good wide players. But I think right now we need to play players in their right position and get familiar with one system and style

Ratings from ifollow

Hamilton should have been playing in the midfield or try Ndukwu there for pace. We were too one dimensional.

Where do you think Hamilton was playing if you suggest he should have been playing in midfield?

So now Bond says he might play 11 at the back and try and play for the 0-0. Great idea????
The man has not got a clue. He is so deluded, he thinks we played terriffic last night. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

But didn’t you say we were sure to take something from the game so long as Hutchinson wasn’t involved? Do you have a new scapegoat now?

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I think we need to loan in a goalkeeper as organisation starts from there and we need that. We aren’t getting it sufficiently at the moment. It would also help Bishop’s development, to work with a stronger keeper. Oxley isn’t stronger than Bishop I’m afraid and isn’t the answer for us.
It was and is a totally RIDICULOUS decision by Bond to drop his established,experienced keeper because of one unfortunate,misplaced punch with a giant forward fouling him ,in a swirling wind and throw a young,rookie keeper into a struggling side.Oxley would definitely have stopped Lincoln’s second and fourth goals and both Posh goals were scored unchallenged from the 6-yard box!
Keeping poor Bishop in this team will not help him at all—either it’ll destroy the confidence he has or he’ll be thinking he’s undroppable and suffer from getting too big for his boots ,like Bentley.
Trying to find positives from last night—another very good performance by Mantom,Hamilton looks very useful and Goodship already looks a hundred times better than Theo.

Last night's game reminded me a lot of Eric Morecambe's words to Andre Previn when he was accused of playing the wrong notes on the piano, his reply 'I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

Glass half full - Blackpool, Lincoln and Coventry occupy the top 3 spots
Glass half empty - Bury go above us if they win their games in hand!

I could have written this on multiple March reports but:
Why do some posters never consider that a player might be injured when they describe a substitution as ridiculous and evidence that the manager doesn’t know why he is doing?

I understand that they may not have read earlier posts explaining that he was injured. My point is that they don’t even consider this possibility in the first place and instead attack the manager

Weird

Last night's game reminded me a lot of Eric Morecambe's words to Andre Previn when he was accused of playing the wrong notes on the piano, his reply 'I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

Or as Jean-Luc Goddard used to say"all my fims have a beginning,middle and an end but not necessarily in that order."

It was and is a totally RIDICULOUS decision by Bond to drop his established,experienced keeper because of one unfortunate,misplaced punch with a giant forward fouling him ,in a swirling wind and throw a young,rookie keeper into a struggling side.Oxley would definitely have stopped Lincoln’s second and fourth goals and both Posh goals were scored unchallenged from the 6-yard box!
Keeping poor Bishop in this team will not help him at all—either it’ll destroy the confidence he has or he’ll be thinking he’s undroppable and suffer from getting too big for his boots ,like Bentley.
Trying to find positives from last night—another very good performance by Mantom,Hamilton looks very useful and Goodship already looks a hundred times better than Theo.
Its just one of numerous questionable decisions and mismanagement by this "manager " e.g. playing Cox when he has had no pre season and is clearly not fit enough or match sharp, ditto Ridgewell, playing Goodship out on the wing when he he is a forward and is needed up front, refusing to accept that form or no form Humphreys has to play up front from the start and finally refusing to acknowledge what everyone else can see that his system of playing out from the back has been a meteoric failure and is not the way forward with the current group of players available. Its just a matter of time until the chairman accepts a change has to be made, preferably before its too late.

Should have said centre. He was playing more left mid, better off putting him in the centre.

He was in the centre. He did ok. Nothing special and certainly not the answer to creative issues more an upgrade on Mantom in terms of getting around the pitch keeping the ball ticking over.

BRANDON Goodship feels Southend United will head to Wycombe Wanderers this weekend boosted by their midweek display against Peterborough.

More...

I thought Hamilton was superb last night. So positive. He just never stopped running as well. You could see by his reaction at the final whistle the loss really hurt. Great attitude and a massive plus for this season.

He was in the centre. He did ok. Nothing special and certainly not the answer to creative issues more an upgrade on Mantom in terms of getting around the pitch keeping the ball ticking over.

Really? We must have been watching a different player. Mantom doesn’t have anywhere near the ability or willingness to drive forward with the ball at feet like Hamilton did.

Moreover, remind me of the last time anyone in a Southend squad had the vision and finesse to pull off that through-ball that he played to Goodship in the first half.

Back