• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-4 Chesterfield

FFS some absolute clean shirts here clutching their pearls at today’s demo.

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again. Well done those involved with today’s protest. Fair heart never won fair maiden and today’s actions were needed. Things have gotten so rotten this was the only way!

Doing nothing is complicit to the current regime and condones the action of the management. Doing something actually takes some cohones and I applaud you all!

Last edited:
Some of the comments on here regarding the protest are completely untrue.

1. The steward (who was actually security) who was swung for, was done so because he pushed a mid 50 year old man over a wall, for a 8ft drop and cracked his head open with blood everywhere. The punch never landed and the security was rushed off into hiding.

2. Resounding boos? Watch the videos, you’ll clearly see 80% of fans are chanting for change.

3. Sit back and complain about people protesting! That is your choice to do so! But then don’t complain when it’s someone’s choice to go and protest. We all have the same rights.

4. At all times security and police knew exactly what was going to happen and the same as Tuesday the security offered us there support!
In the South Upper where we sat when the protesting fans went on the pitch there was no booing, About half the crowd were chanting Martin Out and only one or two older gentlemen were annoyed at the invasion. I was surprised by the general reaction. The toxic atmosphere against Ron looks here to stay and only his selling up will change it. Could be a very long season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they wish demonstrate but there is a time and place to do it.Frankly seeing so call adults hitting stewards who are after all are there to assist and not be abused.I found it very sad for a supporter who have followed my club through think and thin.

Would someone please explain if you get your wish and Ron says right I had enough I am off (highly unlikely)who is going to take us over.I don't see anyone on the horizon that's going that.Remmeber the mess that happened at Leyton orient.

In the meantime please leave all demonstrations until half and full time and whilst the game is in process fully support the players however crap it is.

Get off your high horse, man. Why are you demanding that I tell you what I saw? Like you're the arbiter of what's real and what's not, as though it couldn't possibly have happened since you didn't see it, despite several people saying they did? The sneering arrogance on this forum is astounding sometimes.
Or it could just be that someone is asking because they have no idea what happened and would like to know.

But you're being a prick about it, like your moronic mates who ran on the pitch. You can stick your "Save Our Southend" group up your arse. I supported you until today, but you're just a bunch of idiots.

lets see if they prosecute 3 and 4 year old children playing football in the goal mouth after the game, thats what I saw

Police dont police anymore, they let trouble violence and crime commence, and then try and do something about it afterwards.. could you imagine the riots of the 80's nowaday?
Your totally right. The police just collect the video evidence and then follow it up. They weren’t so bothered about the after the game coming on to the pitch- it was the coming on the pitch during the game. Hence the notices around the ground warning people not to do it and stating that they would take action if it that occurred.

It annoyed most hence all the booing and shouting to get off the pitch in the East- but we will just be told we aren’t real fans, or our views don’t matter, we just don’t understand what’s needed etc. It seriously divides the fan base unfortunately.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they wish demonstrate but there is a time and place to do it.Frankly seeing so call adults hitting stewards who are after all are there to assist and not be abused.I found it very sad for a supporter who have followed my club through think and thin.

Would someone please explain if you get your wish and Ron says right I had enough I am off (highly unlikely)who is going to take us over.I don't see anyone on the horizon that's going that.Remmeber the mess that happened at Leyton orient.

In the meantime please leave all demonstrations until half and full time and whilst the game is in process fully support the players however crap it is.
Stan has already said talk of consortiums is not for now. We can “Ron Out” as much as we like it’s not happening. It’s now a divisive diversion and lost a lot of support today. Whether they see that who knows. Probably not.

Get off your high horse, man. Why are you demanding that I tell you what I saw? Like you're the arbiter of what's real and what's not, as though it simply must have been made up since you didn't see it, despite several people saying they did? The sneering arrogance on this forum is astounding sometimes.
So you come on here to tell everyone you saw exactly what happened, and when I simply ask if you can share this is your response?

What a sad day all round for this club today.
The club was not expecting so many supporters to turn up and the queues for the ticket office went down into the car park and the queues over on the west side entrance went down Shakespeare Drive.
The football was awful and probably the worst I have seen at RH.
I don’t think we actually have bad players and I think the manger is at fault here (ex manger now) but you have to question his starting line up.

Again the “so called” supporters actually made a bad situation worse and before any of you message me (like you did last time) saying I am not a true supporter as I don’t agree with your tactics - I really don’t care what you think what I do care about is seeing small children there crying and frightened.
These antics are dividing supporters and in fact do nothing to help the cause.

We have made BBC sport headlines for the wrong reason

So you moan at people who have claimed you're not a a proper supporter and then claim people today were "so called supporters".

What a hypocrite...

Last edited:
Often change only comes about by extreme protesting, whether it's the suffragette movement or Southend United. Being passive will get you knowhere.
Agreed. But for example SOS today arranged a perfectly reasonable protest even if you didn’t agree with it. I don’t think it’s fair to call SOS passive.

I don’t think we lost support and actually gained some friends from Chesterfield who were amazing this afternoon.
It’s not necessarily a good sign when the away fans love what you are doing. They certainly rivalled or outdid the home fans on the Ron Out chants from time to time and enjoyed waving the banner. Again whether that’s a good sign I’m not sure..

Agreed. But for example SOS today arranged a perfectly reasonable protest even if you didn’t agree with it. I don’t think it’s fair to call SOS passive.
I am certainly not calling SOS passive! Its the people who say its a waste of time protesting that I disagree with.

can you tell me what happened please? I didnt see it
There's not a lot to tell mate. Fan in the East by the dugout was heckling PB and CF during the second half when they were both lifeless on the touchline. I didn't hear what was said by the fan as I was too far away and it was pretty noisy, but whilst PB kept his cool and just kept watching the football, CF turned to the fan several times and mouthed what definitely looked to be "shut up" and possibly "shut the **** up". He then spent the next 5 minutes turning back to the fan from time to time, raising his head as if daring him to keep shouting at him.

All a bit handbags and there's an argument for "don't dish it out and expect not to get it back", but Fagan should probably have stayed professional and not reacted. That he didn't suggests he didn't care and knew he was gone.

ironically a player whos attitude has riddled the team like a cancer over the last 2 seasons, lazy/ slow and passive..

or as I like to call him a **** house that doesnt deserve to wear the shirt of this once fine club... hay ho we all have our opinions I suppose RHB
I called it as I saw it today, as you have elsewhere. As you say @Mr Browns Ghost , it's about opinions and although you and I may differ I can live with that, as I'm sure you can.

I wonder who sacked him? Assume it Tom Lawrence in person, rather than Ron by phone.
I presume they knew they were finished when they failed to meet the target given to them for the 3 games.
Was there a game today?

Phil selects a side that gets him the sack.

First half Danny Rowe had 2 shots and they both went in. Scored a pen in the second to add to the goal he scored for Bradford City here in January. How far back do we go to find someone who has scored 4 goals at Roots Hall in just 2 games! Oh and he is a sprightly 32 at the end of January.

I’ve been happy to give Demetriou the benefit of the doubt so far but today he was so slow and with Atkinson in front of him woeful.

Their third such a carbon copy of goals we concede.

It’s clear that Conference Refs just turn a blind eye to all the pulling, holding and nudging that goes on. When are we going to wise up. You have to fall over to get a free kick.

What a waste of a day.
So it’s October and the top scorer at Roots Hall this calendar year doesn’t even play for us.

A fine costs money the club need.
Points are in short supply too.
The policing and stewarding bill will be again, another big hit to the finances.
The unpleasant nature of the protests, threatening, with violence ( mostly mild and mostly mouthy) is not conducive to attracting supporters to watch poor football. NOR, may it have appeal to players, management or investors?
I think it will actually appeal to investors as it shows there is still passion. Investors would have been more spooked by the passive indifference the first half was greeted with. That looked like a club that was dying. The pitch invasion? That suggested a fan base with a bit of fight about them, that still cared and that there’s a club there that’s worth saving.

Back