• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Scunthorpe

As promised I will be renewing my Season Ticket on Monday - embargo lifted and a win!
McCormack was immense - just give him a contract now! Not pretty but at least we have given up playing it out from the back! Couple if dodgy moments from Otley and Centre backs but defence looking better.
Anyway only 4 points from safety and a long way to go and hopefully some more players coming in! COYB

Elated, despite the fact that the game (and my Ifollow reception for the first 30 mins) was scrappy, fragmented and stop-start. It was a great goal that won the game (tho I thought the scorer was quieter than usual) and how good was it to see/hear fans back at the Hall? Before the winner, arguably the best bit of action was when a punter in the East Stand headed the ball back.
That said, it was the best collective performance from the back four this season, in fact make that the back five, as Ox showed some positivity. Specials mentions for Macca who showed authority and experience in central midfield (and I did enjoy the way he jeered in the face of their only dangerman - Eisa - when he fired high and wide) and young Acquah. He often gets a bad press but, with little support, he battled manfully against a very experienced duo.
Perhaps the ref was key today, he let a lot of stuff go and on another day Sam Hart could have easily walked for two yellows (he wasn't even booked).
I honestly think that we can do this, mainly because League Two is so pants.
I might even treat the missus to a starter tonight - happy days!

I might even treat the missus to a starter tonight - happy days!

Be Careful Now GIF - Careful BeCareful CarefulNow GIFs

We have the same number of wins as Mansfield, Barrow and Stevenage now. With Harrogate and Bradford tanking this gives us a clear escape route.

Will assume Hart and Akinola will shake of the barnacles, and therefore apart from a proper League2 centre forward - we can probably compete.

Midfield looked waaaay better than earlier in the season, but we need a better option up front than Acquah.

Now, don't screw it up on Tuesday, Blues!

That was Hobson’s best game in a Southend shirt by a country mile MOTM

There were 2 or 3 occasions in the second half where he was under real pressure but showed sublime skill to get the ball away from the Scunny player. Really good feet. He's improving all the time and starting to see what Molesley sees in him

Last edited:
Three vital points in our quest here's my rating from watching on I follow;

Oxley: 7 not much to do some wayward kicking, still managed to let them get a couple of free headers on goal near the end, couldn't do anything about the one that hit the post, but two clean sheets in a row!!

Elvis: 7 better going forward than defending, still lets too many crosses come over.

Clifford 6.5 struggled a bit second half I thought, struggled to find teamate , first half ok

Dieng 7.5 good in both boxes I thought, when he could get forward for a corner.

Hobson 7.5 getting better by the game, thought he coped with the tricky Long very well.

Demetriou: 7 didn't give the ball away as much as of late.

McCormack: 8, just knows the game, one of these days one of the speculate efforts will come off. wins a good free kick.

Olyinka :8 just for the goal alone, but some good moments.

Hart ;8.5 MOM best player on the field despite not being match fit.

Aqua: 7 doesn't put himself about as much as I'd like to see, but did have one or two good moments, not enough in my opinion.

Akinola: 7 Don't see what the fuss is all about myself, didn't get involved enough.

Subs; Kyle Taylor 7 not as influential as I have seen him. Rusty?
Egbree, 7.5 Thought he did quite well in the SHORT time he was on
Richard Taylor 7.5 Just the right sub at the right time, put their back four and keeper under pressure in the final moments with fresh legs.
Goodship 6.5 not enough time to rate, but did try to waste time a bit.

Overall boy did we need that victory, and I think on the balance of play we just about deserved it. It was a poor game with the first half better than the second, but I think that was down to the ref letting the game go more in the first, and the ball spending a lot of time off the pitch in the second.

Still, very happy tonight.

Was good to see ox coming for punches. Ok so not the best at it but it put the striker off enough. Had he not come it's an unchallenged header.
I thought we deserved the win

Not fancying a long post this week. That said Hobson, the boys come on enormously since his first few games. Deserves enormous credit !!! Dieng was solid so well done to him too. Alan McCormack, top class once again and my MOTM. JD, mr consistent and I believe the assist, well done once more to him. Olayinka, the player with the most ability in our squad! A big well done to everyone else involved.

Acquah for me needs to react an awful lot quicker, seems too slow to react to everything. Sam Hart, when he started the game I thought he was miles offf it. Turned into a superb performance for him! Akinola needs time as we know.

Great to be back enjoyed it! Not sure why a few of our fans decided to boo players taking the knee seems a bit daft to me although it was quickly muted be applause.

Well done Southend!!! Given ourselves a chance

What a difference a win can make, I feel happy for our players and MM let's hope we can now turn the corner. Onwards and upwards Blues........

McCormack has made such a big difference. Akinola and Hart had decent moments as well. The team felt like it had a spine.

The experience/quality coming in now the umbongo is gone, hopefully more to come... there's a lot of repairing to do. This season has basically started with a mass handicap which is why I haven't been judging Molesley as much.

There will be tough days ahead, it will be a fight at the bottom end but I think they're now able to take points off similar lower sides, where as before it was losing every game. Win the mini-league games and Southend should stay up.

Hart MOM by a a country mile for me.

Macca good again.

Acquah a passenger - we need better up front if we are going to survive.

Still, couldn’t be happier.

Dieng and hobson a decent centre half pairing.

Thought scunny looked better on the ball than us but maybe with a few weeks of a consistent line up that will come.

Massive 3 points when you look at the other teams round us. If we can put together back to back wins and beat grimsby on Tuesday I will really start to believe this is on.

How amazing to be back at roots hall and cheering the boys on. What a feeling

Couldn’t have wrote Today better really. 3 points, clean **** with the results around us going exactly how we wanted them to. Brilliant time to go on a run too, history tells us that.

Back