• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Scunthorpe

Fabulous result and great 2nd debut from Sam Hart.

Macca was immense and Hobson and Dieng were good too.

How was the game experience from a covid safety point of view?

I didn't go today as I am at higher risk from Covid but am considering attending on Tuesday if the feedback is positive from those of you that went today.

UTB

Just back. Well, I’m happy. Happy to see Hart back in a blue shirt and chasing down, battling, taking players on. Macca was superb, what an example. Hobson was bloody brilliant I thought, showed composure and made some great no nonsense clearances and tackles. Olayinka showed some lovely touches and movement. The whole feeling was different. I didn’t expect them to score every time they attacked. We looked like a team that had the stomach for it. And great to hear “Mark Molesleys barmy army” from the fans at the end. Damn did it feel great to be back, only thing missing was my Bovril.

Ox was vocal and motivated in goal, he kept a clean sheet and was lively, part of the reason the Scunny players shot or headed wide was his (and defenders) closing down quickly and making things happen.
The back four all played their part well, Hobson and Dieng bossed the big centre forward, and I think our Emile did more as a lump up top than theirs.
Hart and Macca, joint m of m for me, Macca for his leadership and Hart for his energy and enthusiasm-he wanted to get forward and run with the ball.
Demi made the goal, he worked but drifted in and out of game at times.
Olyi took his goal very well but wasn't at his best..Akinola clearly is off the pace but was keen and tried and then tired quickly.
Emile worked hard, made lots of runs but got zero from ref when he was climbed all over too often.

Ox was vocal and motivated in goal, he kept a clean sheet and was lively, part of the reason the Scunny players shot or headed wide was his (and defenders) closing down quickly and making things happen.
The back four all played their part well, Hobson and Dieng bossed the big centre forward, and I think our Emile did more as a lump up top than theirs.
Hart and Macca, joint m of m for me, Macca for his leadership and Hart for his energy and enthusiasm-he wanted to get forward and run with the ball.
Demi made the goal, he worked but drifted in and out of game at times.
Olyi took his goal very well but wasn't at his best..Akinola clearly is off the pace but was keen and tried and then tired quickly.
Emile worked hard, made lots of runs but got zero from ref when he was climbed all over too often.
Dieng and Hobson seem to click. Acquah was better, but for me still needs to use his height and strength more. There was 5 mins where he looked mustard.

Just got home. Unbelievably cold afternoon but worth it. Really great atmosphere in the North Bank and felt so good to be back. Genuinely think the fans there lifted the players.

Macca was my MOTM by far, but Hobson also had an excellent game. Just a great team performance all in all. Enjoy your Saturday night all ?

I didn't go today as I am at higher risk from Covid but am considering attending on Tuesday if the feedback is positive from those of you that went today.

UTB
I will admit to be feeling a little apprehensive about going back today (I am 76) but can honestly say that if I develop Covid in the near future, it will not be a result of this afternoon. The Club have done everything possible to ensure social distancing and wearing of masks is adhered to. I was in the North Bank , but assume it was as good in the other parts of the ground as well. My only problem was my glasses misting up all the time, drove me potty!.......Great afternoon though.

Excellent game. Couldn't make it today but best believe I'll be there on Tuesday all being well. Fantastic from our Shrimpers ?

Great result, made all the more pleasing by the fact that it was a scrappy game that could have gone either way!

Everyone played their part, but a couple of special mentions. Firstly, Shaun Hobson. Tbh I’ve not been convinced at all, but I enjoyed the way he spoke following the Stevenage game and liked his performance today even more. I’m not sure what anyone else thought, but he was absolutely first class today for me. Crucial tackles,big headers, plentiful interceptions. Even more composed on the ball. Really excellent to see.

Alan McCormack was superb again too. Today I saw glimpses of the player from his first spell, but with an experienced and tenacious edge to it. He really gives our team character, his range of passing is superb and again made some crucial tackles and interceptions. Absolutely have to extend his deal imo.

Ive been saying for a while now that JD on the right hand side of midfield would be a good fit, and I felt that was justified today with an excellent cross for the goal. Now we have more wide and central options in midfield it will be interesting to see if we could see him feature in that role more often.

Finally, it was fantastic to see Sam Hart our there - what an excellent extra dimension he offered down the left! Hopefully in time Akinola will also get match sharp and give us another creative outlet; a glance at his goals for Barnet last year show that his footwork and trickery could be a huge asset to our hopes of survival going forwards.

Delighted also for MM and his team -I know not everyones a fan, but it’s been a tough ride for them with limited options and they’ve always stayed upbeat and kept the team morale/belief high too. Today it was nice to see them get some reward for their endeavour!

Embargo lifted, 2 clean sheets on the spin, 2 games unbeaten!

UTB

UTB

Re COVID safe. Everyone had masks on which stewards did enforce. I think there’s enough room in the ground for you to be able to move away from everyone and not be worried about it especially in the South stand. Just stagger you entry and exit and you should be fine ??

hat said, it was the best collective performance from the back four this season, in fact make that the back five, as Ox showed some positivity.
Ox was vocal and motivated in goal
Ox was a different man from the one I last saw live. Not sure how much it came across, if at all, on iPlayer but my memories of the old Ox were that he was always too quiet and not much of a leader. I'm questioning a little whether I just noticed it more due to the lower than "usual" crowd noise, but Ox was an incessant flea in his team mates ear all afternoon, instructing, organising, bollocking, cajoling, motivating etc.

And as Wiggy said above, more commanding of his box than I recall.

It was great to see and hear. Well done Ox.

Generally, pretty good IMHO. Lots of space, staggered seating with at least a row between groups/bubbles. Most were observing the mask thing but too much for at least one fella in the South Upper with the mask under his chin shouting at the top of his voice with a 70 year guy two seats ahead of him - even just moments after the recorded announcement to remind people what's expected. Guess you just can't reason with some people but from what I could see, pretty damn well observed. And again, as someone says above, more than enough room to move about if someone is potentially causing you concern.

Unbelievably cold afternoon but worth it.
I was really glad of the mask keeping my face warm!

Felt amazing to be back at the Hall and to see and connect again with some old faces.

Great result, made all the more pleasing by the fact that it was a scrappy game that could have gone either way!

Everyone played their part, but a couple of special mentions. Firstly, Shaun Hobson. Tbh I’ve not been convinced at all, but I enjoyed the way he spoke following the Stevenage game and liked his performance today even more. I’m not sure what anyone else thought, but he was absolutely first class today for me. Crucial tackles,big headers, plentiful interceptions. Even more composed on the ball. Really excellent to see.

Alan McCormack was superb again too. Today I saw glimpses of the player from his first spell, but with an experienced and tenacious edge to it. He really gives our team character, his range of passing is superb and again made some crucial tackles and interceptions. Absolutely have to extend his deal imo.

Ive been saying for a while now that JD on the right hand side of midfield would be a good fit, and I felt that was justified today with an excellent cross for the goal. Now we have more wide and central options in midfield it will be interesting to see if we could see him feature in that role more often.

Finally, it was fantastic to see Sam Hart our there - what an excellent extra dimension he offered down the left! Hopefully in time Akinola will also get match sharp and give us another creative outlet; a glance at his goals for Barnet last year show that his footwork and trickery could be a huge asset to our hopes of survival going forwards.

Delighted also for MM and his team -I know not everyones a fan, but it’s been a tough ride for them with limited options and they’ve always stayed upbeat and kept the team morale/belief high too. Today it was nice to see them get some reward for their endeavour!

Embargo lifted, 2 clean sheets on the spin, 2 games unbeaten!

UTB
I am so glad we have stuck with the manager. He deserves a good run with players coming back in and more options going forwards. In future games we will be able to add Ashley Nathaniel-George and John White back into the mix which will give us more depth. Bring in some more players in January and who knows we might reach the amazing heights of 17th/18th. We only need to be mediocre this year. Stay in this league, build and really go for a promotion push next season. Build some stability with MM and generate a consistent philosophy and we will be experiencing completely different performances next season.

I have fallen in love with Saturday's again!

Sam Hart was absolutely immense today. JD and Elvis also looked more like the players we know. Love having Macca back in the centre, has that bit of bite and experience this team has been crying for. Hobson and Dieng both had good matches, so hats off to them.
What a feeling when that goal went in. Great play by JD and cool finish by Olyinka. Very good atmosphere and didn’t hear much negativity from fans which should be commended. Emotional end with fans singing MM Barmy Army for the first time.
Everyone needed that win this afternoon.
Let’s hope it can spark our season in to life UTB

This is my 5,000 post and pleased to say something positive from the game today.
Thought Macca was MoTM today and pleased with the first half performance especially from Young Sam.
Hopefully, this will boast their confidence as we all know how confidence breeds confidence and then this will show on the pitch.

Thought Ron M played a blinder today - mmmmm the embargo was lifted yesterday just in time for supporters returning to the stadium. Took the heat off of him didn’t it!

Let’s just enjoy the fact we are back in the stadium and the win

Oxley: 6 did he actually have to make a save- I don't think he did (which is of course good). His kicking was not the best- however he seems to be coming off his line more and is inspiring a degree of confidence. Succesive clean sheets.

Elvis: 7 much more like his old self today. Didn't still get forward as much better defensively did very well.

Clifford 6 did ok. Solid, competes, gets stuck in. Will be a very good left back as the experience comes.

Dieng 7 he is an average midfielder and a very good CB. Zero chance of him going to Barrow and there should be zero chance of MM letting him go because where we are now there is zero chance of a better replacement. Won everything in the air verses their 6'4" cf.

Hobson 7 He has settled down and is very capable of playing at this level and maybe a bit high. His distribution is decent and good centre backs that are good on the deck at this level are rare.

Demetriou: 8 Now were we not assured he had to be "managed", he could play every week, he would last the full 90 mins every game, he's not a CM- all nonsense. He's fit, covers acres of ground, gets stuck in, good in tight spaces, decent distribution, and is forming a great partnership with Macca.

McCormack: 8.5 MOM, brings leadership, brings passion. Championship player with 37 year old legs. Many would have hung up the boots 2-3 years ago but Macca genuinely loves playing, is not worried about fighting it out at the bottom of L2. Getting through 90 mins last week injury free was critical, got through 90 mins this week a bit easier. If he can get fit, he can stay fit. At 37 it getting there that's so hard- he almost is and for us their is currently no-one more important.

Olyinka 6.5 worked hard and has that quality that means he can make things happen sometimes out of nothing. The goal will give him more confidence and he is capable of getting 10 this season if he stays.

Hart 7 Very good first half. Kept going and did her job 2nd. The talk of him coming as LB we all though was nonsense- we all remember he was better further forward. MM has twigged that straight away.

Aqua: 6 he is young. Getting better, and getting great experience. A bit unfair that he is having to carry a lot a responsibility so quickly - for all the baggage a Ranger up front would transform this team (has Macca got a spare room?)

Akinola: 6 Didn't play to his strengths. He is not a target man, and is at his best coming from wider positions with ball at feet. That said did no worse than Sterling or anyone else playing the role he did and will get better and better. Some great feet at times.

Subs; Kyle Taylor 6 not on that long- did ok. Good to see him back
Egbri, 6.5 under-rated by those that expect to much to soon. He is disciplined, hardworking and a young player who might just go on and play many many more appearance for the club than we might think. Bit of an Atkinson and all clubs need their Duracell-men
Richard Taylor 6 Like Egbri more to him than he is credited for. Young, will play anywhere CB, LB, LM, CF and in the longer term he will be better for it even if in the short term effort is a bigger part of his game than any other
Goodship 6 came on as fresh legs and will do whatever he is asked to do seemingly without complaint.

Ref - first half good, let things go to the extent he seemed to understand football is still a contact sport and hence didn't give endless soft free kicks. Result entertainment. Second half normal park referee fare at L2 level and blue up for someone farting as someone else ran by. Poor 8 first half, 4 second, 6 overall which at L2 level is a very, very high score.

This is my 5,000 post and pleased to say something positive from the game today.
Thought Macca was MoTM today and pleased with the first half performance especially from Young Sam.
Hopefully, this will boast their confidence as we all know how confidence breeds confidence and then this will show on the pitch.

Thought Ron M played a blinder today - mmmmm the embargo was lifted yesterday just in time for supporters returning to the stadium. Took the heat off of him didn’t it!

Let’s just enjoy the fact we are back in the stadium and the win
lets hope you 10,000th is from a packed Fossets Farm on the event of our long awaited debut in the Champions League

McCormack has made such a big difference. Akinola and Hart had decent moments as well. The team felt like it had a spine.

The experience/quality coming in now the umbongo is gone, hopefully more to come... there's a lot of repairing to do. This season has basically started with a mass handicap which is why I haven't been judging Molesley as much.

There will be tough days ahead, it will be a fight at the bottom end but I think they're now able to take points off similar lower sides, where as before it was losing every game. Win the mini-league games and Southend should stay up.

I agree wholly with you.I will be judging MM from today. For me the Jury is out; he has been forced to run a circus so far, not a football club.

Back