• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 1 Torquay United

Interesting you thought that. I thought we were dominant the entire game. Didn't feel troubled at all.

Torquay had some cracking chances in the first half including the shot cleared off the line and hitting the post. Honestly, I thought they should have been 2 or 3 up at HT.

Aside from Demi’s miss, I didn’t think we offered much going forward tbh. Second half was chalk and cheese.

EVERY GAME COUNTS, imo.
Okay this was a classic dead rubber but 6000 plus folks turned up, and thanks to the last 15 minutes we finished the season in a better emotion than how we finished the year 2021.
The work keeps on and in many respects starts anew on Monday morning.
Today's game showed what many thought about some of the current squad and it's short comings when several players are unavailable.
The Torquay goal was largely our error BUT they had some good chances and failed to score a few times with woodwork and offside rescues helping us.
Poor first half.
As others post the red (probably correct) changed the game and improved us with the remaining players then stepping forward, physically and mentally in more of an effort.
Most did a fair to good game but weaknesses, for me were Davies, Demi, Dunne and a poor game from Bridge.
Neal and Powell competed for M of M, Steveeeèe was virtual spectator.
Today showed we need more help at the sharp end and forward drives/support from midfield. Examples by Dunne scoring a good goal on a rare foray forward.
On to next season. UTB.

Callum Powell put in a shift like no other I’ve seen in the last few seasons. That alone is leagues above what we’ve seen from some players to pull on the SUFC shirt.

Also improved on his crossing, shame nobody got on the end of them.

Think he’s going to be a real force next season with a full pre-season schedule behind him.

From what you know, what percentage chance do you think this will happen please? And do you know if Sheff Utd's division will impact that at all?
Very good point you made there. If Sheffield United are promoted to the Premier then Lopata would probably be well down the pecking order and could be loaned or even sold to us.

Chris Phillips saying Lopata was there and with the squad at the end. Pessimist in me says he is only there to support an ex-team who he did well for and his mate Harrison Neal. Optimist in me says he will be signing a 4 year deal on a free transfer. Don't worry, that small part will be stamped out quickly....
He was there, he is frustrated with his return to Sheffield, when asked if he is coming back he said he hopes so!

Wasn't a bad game overall, bit not one for the memory bank, agree the comments regarding powell definitely put in a shift, if he can improve his shooting accuracy and crossing in the summer then we will definitely have a player there. Also don't know about everyone else but definitely glad for a break for a bit ?. And have some positives going into next season. Have a good summer all

Powell and Neal were both absolutely superb. Powell looked like a man with a point to prove and he absolutely ran them ragged. Excited to see more of him next season. Also great to see Lopata on the pitch too.

Great send off for Johnny White. Wish him all the best ?

A decent end of season game between two good footballing sides. 1-0 to then at Ht was probably about right, they deserved their goal even if it was a mistake by Dunne. Dalby blocked certain goal bound shot from Powell and JD should have scored. Second half with 11 and then 10 we were dominant and deserved the equaliser. So in many ways it epitomised many games under King Kev, some decent forward play but maybe lacking a killer instinct and still prone to the odd error at the back, but make no mistake we have come on a country mile under Kev and co

as for today, assume that was JDs last game for us and what a dreadful way to finish it, awful tackle and deserved red.
Powell had his best game and seemed to have started cutting out the fancy stuff and become way more direct and he did everything but score
Dunne despite his mistake worked very hard alongside the impressive Neal who I really hope we can get back.
Kensdale and Hobson also played well alongside another improving loaner in gubbins
Dalby as per usual got pulled all over the place and got no protection from the ref but worked hard fir the team.
bridge and Davies both worked hard but maybe didn’t have their best games
Super Steve Arnold in goal … no need for words
and lastly John White, certain without JD being sent off we would have seen him earlier but glad he got some minutes and a chance to say goodbye

so yes recruitment required and I’m certain Stan and co will get the right players in but bear in mind we were missing, Murphy, Cardwell, Ralph, Clifford and Husin today. The nucleus of a good squad is there is need to fill in the gaps

roll on 6/8/22

Last edited:
A decent end of season game between two good footballing sides. 1-0 to then at Ht was probably about right, they deserved their goal even if it was a mistake by Dunne. Dalby blocked certain goal bound shot from Powell and JD should have scored. Second half with 11 and then 10 we were dominant and deserved the equaliser. So in many ways it epitomised many games under King Kev, some decent forward play but maybe lacking a killer instinct and still prone to the odd error at the back, but make no mistake we have come on a country mile under Kev and co

as for today, assume that was JDs last game for us and what a dreadful way to finish it, awful tackle and deserved red.
Powell had his best game and seemed to have started cutting out the fancy stuff and become way more direct and he did everything but score
Dunne despite his mistake worked very hard alongside the impressive Neal who I really hope we can get back.
Kensdale and Hobson also played well alongside another improving loaner in gubbins
Dalby as per usual git pulled all over the place and got no protection from the ref but worked hard fir the team.
bridge and Davies both worked hard but maybe didn’t have their best games
and lastly super Steve Arnold in goal … no need for words

so yes recruitment required and I’m certain Stan and co will get the right players in but bear in mind we were missing, Murphy, Cardwell, Ralph, Clifford and Husin today. The nucleus of a good squad is there is need to fill in the gaps

roll on 6/8/22
JD has had an extension triggered for another year apparently.
I personally didn't think it was a red card challenge, more 2 players going in fully committed and one being stronger than the other

Just back.

Neal - what a player and we’ll miss him.
Powell - as others have said, was a real threat today and worried them every time he was on the ball. One to watch.
Arnold - what a great campaign, well deserved player of the season and made my son’s day by signing his shirt. Good man.
Kensdale - looking really assured and another to watch next season.
White - great, deserved, reception and he looked genuinely emotional after that. Good luck John, all the best ?

Looking forward to 2022-23. Thanks Kev, Darren and Benno for turning the ship around, getting a good team spirit going and giving us hope again.

Summer will fly by I’m sure! See you all for the big play off push!

Story of Kev's reign so far for me. Approach play often delicious, but killer instinct/quality often lacking in the final third.

Even with 10 men, we were absolutely dominant today.

It’s less a lack of killer instinct as conservative team selection. Just three attacking players in Dalby, Powell (who offers hard work more than attacking ability) and Bridge and eight defensive minded players/defenders and we even went down to two attacking players after the first sub! This game was crying out for a more progressive midfielder - take your pick from Wood, Gard, Benton, Coker - alongside (or better still, slightly ahead of) Neal.

Dunne had a shocker - he lost possession for their goal, made a mistake that could have led to a second and generally gave the ball away a lot.

But after Bridge - who wasn’t given the ball nearly enough - worked him some space he produced the game’s only bit of quality with a fine finish as the ten men fought back. Football, eh?

Otherwise it was a poor game with end of season dead rubber written all over it. I said after 5 minutes it had 0-0 all over it except that neither me team was good enough to keep a clean sheet.

It had the air of a testimonial but it was the calls for John White at 1-0 down that seemed to wake the team up. Maybe they were just embarrassed that at 1-0 down the fans wanted a defender on? We picked up our intensity and Dalby became more influential. Harrison Neal hit the bar, Jack Bridge drove to the touchline and cut back invitingly only for no one to attack it, Davies and Dalby had headers comfortably saved and instead the goal came from the unlikeliest source in Dunne.

After the equaliser we turned it into a testimonial bringing on Atkinson and White for their retirement goodbyes at the expense of trying to win the game against a Torquay side half on the beach and there for the taking.

But our best sub was too late: Steve Arnold’s daughter showing all the energy, enthusiasm and running that had been missing from most of the day. Clearly her hero was the similarly statured and energetic Callum Powell. Sign her up!

Chris Phillips saying Lopata was there and with the squad at the end. Pessimist in me says he is only there to support an ex-team who he did well for and his mate Harrison Neal. Optimist in me says he will be signing a 4 year deal on a free transfer. Don't worry, that small part will be stamped out quickly....
FWIW he was on the pitch with the squad at the end.

Red all day for demi...reckless, both feet off the floor.
Powell, fully committed, zero end product...zero, half decent squad player but easy to upgrade for someone who can cross and shoot.
Loved the last 20 minute love in for John White, skipper for possibly the greatest day in our history lifting that trophy. Model professional and top top bloke.
Looking forward to the off season and hopefully 4 or 5 quality starters signed.

Fascinating reading so far. With our strike force of Dalby and Powell, we looked very lopsided and unbalanced, but with so many forwards out injured I suppose there was not much else we could have done. Anyway, last game of the season, and Torquay did not read the script of rolling over and letting us win, instead they gave us a game and we finally decided enough was enough of 0-0 and we gifted them a goal and the Torquay fans (over 100) were delirious. 0-1 at H/T and truthfully I hade no idea where a goal for us was coming from.

Second half started, lots more earnest effort but still no end product. We needed something to kick start our efforts so up steps Demi and demolishes their number 2, Ben Wynter and the red card was out before he could even protest his innocence. So what happens after that? We wake up a bit and attack Torquay over and over, but still without success........until James Dunne decided on a toe poke of spectacular accuracy leaving all the Torquay players marvelling at how it arrowed into the left corner of their goal. Next happy moment after that was the introduction of JW, and what a reception he got and deserved. So game over, honours even and onto the awards and then the lap of thanks from the squad. We left after all the applause for the players feeling happy that we are well placed to start next season with hope, provided the work is done in the close season.

Funniest moment of the day was when Steve Phillips charged over to the West Stand absolutely milking the warm applause from the West Stand faithful and then a group of lads near to us started chanting 'Who are ya?'.

Anyway, I got carried away with some photos of stuff that happened today, my favourite is Steve with his children at the end.

Blues mascots get smaller every day

Torquay1.jpg

The players on their lap of thanks

Torquay2.jpg

And again with the Coaching team and associated children

Torquay4.jpg

And finally, our Player of the season complete with little ones who made Mrs RHB dribble with delight.
View attachment 20492

Attachments

• Torquay3.jpg
    Torquay3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Torquay5.jpg
    Torquay5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
JD has had an extension triggered for another year apparently.
I personally didn't think it was a red card challenge, more 2 players going in fully committed and one being stronger than the other
I agree... The ref, who I thought had a reasonable game, has apparently agreed to look at it again. It was nowhere near as bad as it looked and it seems the ref knows that. Their player pulled out of the 50/50 at the last second so it looks worse. Committed challenge but not a red for me. Think the Torquay players also realised there was no intention of dangerous play.

Back