• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 1 Torquay United

Equally interesting, that Paul Clark thought Kensdale was as much to blame for their goal as Dunne.

Indeed - I haven't seen the goal/mistake. The allegation from Clark was that no-one made themself available for a pass from Dunne, Kensdale passed to him, and then disappeared, rather than dropping off for a pass back if needed.

Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights - but it's not often goal conceded is a single players fault

We all do. But as usual there is an agent in the mix hawking him higher.
Yeah. I’ll be amazed if it actually happens.
If he wants to be here enough, he will tell his agent to focus all of his attention and effort on getting a deal sorted here. People might try to claim otherwise, but it really is that simple. An agent works on behalf of the player and is (or should be) led by him, not the other way around.

If he wants to be here enough, he will tell his agent to focus all of his attention and effort on getting a deal sorted here. People might try to claim otherwise, but it really is they'll simple. An agent works on behalf of the player and is (or should be) left by him, not the other way around.
The agent will push for the move that gets himself the most money.

John was emotional coming off the pitch before the game started with the reception he'd got in the warm up and then walk round, goodness knows how he felt at the end, but at least he can be in no doubt how our supporters feel about him and the gratitude we have for his dedication and commitment to Southend United.

I really hope his testimonial raises loads of money and it is a fantastic day - we, unfortunately can't be there.

Callum Powell undoubted MOTM, while several of the others seemed strangely quiet - Bridge and Dalby in particular. I thought Neal and Dunne looked a good pairing in the middle, certainly better than when Atkinson has been there.

Be interesting to see what happens in the close season, I'm expecting news to start coming out Tuesday. I really like Kensdale, he's the rock around which we can build our defence. Lopata being back today is another good sign, those two together would be great!

I know it was a bit of a nothing game, which is why I was rather frustrated John wasn't brought on earlier. Nice not to have lost on the last game of the season - it was a good strike from Dunney.

John was emotional coming off the pitch before the game started with the reception he'd got in the warm up and then walk round, goodness knows how he felt at the end, but at least he can be in no doubt how our supporters feel about him and the gratitude we have for his dedication and commitment to Southend United.

I really hope his testimonial raises loads of money and it is a fantastic day - we, unfortunately can't be there.

Callum Powell undoubted MOTM, while several of the others seemed strangely quiet - Bridge and Dalby in particular. I thought Neal and Dunne looked a good pairing in the middle, certainly better than when Atkinson has been there.

Be interesting to see what happens in the close season, I'm expecting news to start coming out Tuesday. I really like Kensdale, he's the rock around which we can build our defence. Lopata being back today is another good sign, those two together would be great!

I know it was a bit of a nothing game, which is why I was rather frustrated John wasn't brought on earlier. Nice not to have lost on the last game of the season - it was a good strike from Dunney.
This is what I'm expecting. Football Department know who they want to keep and let go, and they also have their shortlist of targets. No reason to wait to inform them and I'd expect the management team to move quickly and decisively with regards to the released/retained list.

Indeed - I haven't seen the goal/mistake. The allegation from Clark was that no-one made themself available for a pass from Dunne, Kensdale passed to him, and then disappeared, rather than dropping off for a pass back if needed.

Will reserve judgement until I see the highlights - but it's not often goal conceded is a single players fault
Some on here won’t like having to admit it but there’s no way Harrogate’s star keeper would have conceded that goal.

If we coup Lopata, it could go down as one of our best transfers in god knows how long, I hope we put all we can, and if he's serious about wanting to come back, I hope he puts all he can in ability to come back to us. I can see him becoming the youngest captain (don't quote me, I don't know the history of our captains) if he does.

Bridge struggled badly first half in the middle of the pitch. 2nd half on the the flanks, where he does all his best work, he was a constant source of danger until substituted for.....Atkinson !!!

I thought it was a better game than most seem to think today. There are definitely reasons to be optimistic for next season although we desperately need a goal scorer if we are to seriously challenge at the top of the table next season. We have some good forwards (Dalby, Cardwell, Bridge) but they do not look as though they have the volume of goals in them that we will need. A fit Murphy may have the goals in him but he needs to be fit to play and to play to score. Powell had the best game I have seen from him and I don’t doubt his effort or desire but I am not convinced he has the quality of finish we might hope for.

If we could secure the services of Neal and Lopata next season that would be great so fingers crossed but I am reassured by the pairing of Kensdale and Hobson (yes, Hobson who I think is often unfairly criticised) which I think has potential and there are promising signs from Davies. A midfielder who goes beyond the attackers to break the lines of the opposition defence would also be on my wish list.

Well done to the management team, CEO, Head of Recruitment and Stan for stopping our decline and Ron for stepping back and embracing the change in infrastructure that we have needed for so long.

And our fans have been simply magnificent, home and away ??? Here’s to next season!

These weren't Junior Blues, these were mascots!
Are you sure, because when I saw RHBs great pics of the end of match celebrations, where he said that his favourite pic was Steve with his children, I looked down and thought blimey hes got 8 kids, no wonder hes a half decent keeper he must love practice just to get a breather from his massive brood
Then I re -read your comment and looked further down the page!!

JD has had an extension triggered for another year apparently.
I personally didn't think it was a red card challenge, more 2 players going in fully committed and one being stronger than the other
It was right in front of us, he got the ball but the follow through was knee height and completely unnecessary. I’ve played decent level of football and he could easily of pulled out if the follow through, it was naughty and he knew it. He must be emergency backup at best next season, think someone said he might be the coach of the B/U23 side

Not a season to remember, I still feel upset and annoyed that we are playing non league football, unthinkable for most of us during our years supporting the club. However, a sense of relief that apart from the owner the rest of the club has a much more professional and optimistic feel about it. Today's game showed that although we have some promising players in the squad we desperately need to address our lack of goal threat from all areas. Close season recruitment will be crucial in our efforts to make a promotion challenge next season.

Bridge struggled badly first half in the middle of the pitch. 2nd half on the the flanks, where he does all his best work, he was a constant source of danger until substituted for.....Atkinson !!!
Maybe because it was Atkinson’s last game for us ..?

It was right in front of us, he got the ball but the follow through was knee height and completely unnecessary. I’ve played decent level of football and he could easily of pulled out if the follow through, it was naughty and he knew it. He must be emergency backup at best next season, think someone said he might be the coach of the B/U23 side
JD’s experience and know-how would certainly make him a very good coach in the future,but at present he is a much better right-sided wing-back than Davies who for now makes too many mistakes and doesn’t offer much going forward.

It's interesting the side galvanised after Demi's dismissal.
On that subject there was a post in the match thread reckoning he wasn't that bad an offender.
With us he's played 191 times, in which he's been yellow carded 51 times, shown red twice - three, if you count that horrendous assault for Cyprus!
That's a card one every 3.something games, if you'll allow the missing decimal point.
You can decide if he's a frequent offender.
Put another way, there's never much of a gap between a gobby Demi or an ill-timed lunge.
Equally interesting, that Paul Clark thought Kensdale was as much to blame for their goal as Dunne.
Kensdale was to blame! In so much as he passed it to Dunne! Dunne then tried and failed to do what Kensdale had just done .... so a real soft goal all agreed , but a decent fight back with ten men that could have even won it at the end..

Back