• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 AFC Flyde.

We were out muscled by one of many teams in this division who are far physically stronger than us, Boreham Wood, Woking etc. Our team today looked so lightweight and to have two diminutive players in a back three is asking for trouble against a team with so many big guys in it. So many goals come from free kicks and corners at all levels of football and it is our main weakness both defensively and offensively. We really need to sign some bigger and stronger players if we are ever going to get out of this league even if it means sacrificing some of the skilful aspects of our game. What a shame that was today especially after the fantastically supported protest that I was pleased to take part in.
Who do you suggest we should have played instead?

Again how anyone can actually talk actual football with our situation is laughable. Did I actually see someone suggest we should sign some players 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, agreed we’re not signing anyone anytime soon! However this is the post match thread, people are going to comment on the match :Smile2:

Our situation is dire, no one would disagree, but to talk about actual football is a distraction, at least for me. There’s plenty of other threads to comment on the clubs situation, let’s leave this one to match reaction as stated in the title!

Last edited:
I was surprised that Taylor didn’t come straight back into the team. We got away with it Tuesday and two times in a row woud seem unlikely but apparently Taylor apparently had food poisoning (he was still named on the bench) and we had no other fit defenders. Thanks Ron (and last weekend’s **** ref).

Fylde were the type of team I was expecting most weeks when we were relegated. Big bruisers knocking it long and generally spoiling. The type of team you don’t want to fall behind early to. We did just that with some non existent marking from a corner. Against such a team with a lead you need a good ref. We didn’t get that.

Their man marking caused us more problems than it probably should have. So far this season we’ve dominated possession by pinning teams back so when our attacks broke down we’d have a man advantage to pick up the loose ball and go all over again. But by matching up against us and generally being sharper they were able to get the loose ball first. There was more loose ball as well as with no Collin in goal to make the angles and play it short we went long a lot more often.

We were slow to adjust but we finished the half better than we started. Our best chance coming when the tidy Coker slid in Wood whose effort was blocked by the keeper. That continued second half when we able to get in behind Fylde surprisingly easily a couple of times in the inside left channel. The first time Cardwell tried to pick out a man in the middle and it was blocked but the second time was from deeper and left with a 1 on 1 with the keeper he was able to slot past the goalie with ease.

At this point I expected us to push on and claim three points against a limited team. However Fonguck was surprisingly subbed almost immediately. I know he’s been playing through injury but he’s our best player at opening up teams. I wonder if it was a pre planned sub because giving him another 10 minutes to try and open up Fylde seemed the better option. Instead his replacement lost the ball with a crap touch, Demi made a complete hash of it and they broke through and scored. Vilhari did put in one good cross that Cardwell failed to finish at the far post but after a decent cameo Tuesday it was evident why he was available.

The lack of depth was exposed and we were resigned to bringing on the injured(?) Callum Powell to huff and puff. I think he might have touched the ball in his 10 minutes but can’t be sure. He certainly didn’t win any headers against their giant centre halves. With more options from the bench we could have also replaced Mooney who spent most of his time on the ball running into blind alleys. He also spent a lot of time looking at the stand with his back to the ball when Martin was looking to pass the ball out quickly. Not a great day for him or for us. Coming after the big protest it all felt a bit after the Lord Mayor’s show.

I thought we were way below par today and you can clearly see all that has been happening off the pitch is having some effect on them both physically and mentally.
They looked tired and drained and I fear a few of them are carrying some knocks which due to our predicament we are unable to rotate players.
Thought bridge really struggled today but also Fylde had done their homework. Mooney pulled out of a couple of tackles that he could have won but am guessing none of them want to get injured.
If only……………………some of them near misses had gone in - different game and my fear is some of the confidence in the players is reducing and creeping in but, we cannot criticise any of these players

The person I feel for most here is Kev Maher, how he and his team and all the other staff at the club are managing is beyond me.

we have to go again on Tuesday which is no time to recover but hopefully we will have GUS Taylor back

I was surprised that Taylor didn’t come straight back into the team. We got away with it Tuesday and two times in a row woud seem unlikely but apparently Taylor apparently had food poisoning (he was still named on the bench) and we had no other fit defenders. Thanks Ron (and last weekend’s **** ref).

Fylde were the type of team I was expecting most weeks when we were relegated. Big bruisers knocking it long and generally spoiling. The type of team you don’t want to fall behind early to. We did just that with some non existent marking from a corner. Against such a team with a lead you need a good ref. We didn’t get that.

Their man marking caused us more problems than it probably should have. So far this season we’ve dominated possession by pinning teams back so when our attacks broke down we’d have a man advantage to pick up the loose ball and go all over again. But by matching up against us and generally being sharper they were able to get the loose ball first. There was more loose ball as well as with no Collin in goal to make the angles and play it short we went long a lot more often.

We were slow to adjust but we finished the half better than we started. Our best chance coming when the tidy Coker slid in Wood whose effort was blocked by the keeper. That continued second half when we able to get in behind Fylde surprisingly easily a couple of times in the inside left channel. The first time Cardwell tried to pick out a man in the middle and it was blocked but the second time was from deeper and left with a 1 on 1 with the keeper he was able to slot past the goalie with ease.

At this point I expected us to push on and claim three points against a limited team. However Fonguck was surprisingly subbed almost immediately. I know he’s been playing through injury but he’s our best player at opening up teams. I wonder if it was a pre planned sub because giving him another 10 minutes to try and open up Fylde seemed the better option. Instead his replacement lost the ball with a crap touch, Demi made a complete hash of it and they broke through and scored. Vilhari did put in one good cross that Cardwell failed to finish at the far post but after a decent cameo Tuesday it was evident why he was available.

The lack of depth was exposed and we were resigned to bringing on the injured(?) Callum Powell to huff and puff. I think he might have touched the ball in his 10 minutes but can’t be sure. He certainly didn’t win any headers against their giant centre halves. With more options from the bench we could have also replaced Mooney who spent most of his time on the ball running into blind alleys. He also spent a lot of time looking at the stand with his back to the ball when Martin was looking to pass the ball out quickly. Not a great day for him or for us. Coming after the big protest it all felt a bit after the Lord Mayor’s show.
Taylor had the ****s apparently

Bit harsh I think. The same players, some of who are carrying knocks are having to put their bodies on the line game after game. Kev doesn't have options because of the embargo caused by Ron
the poor team I was referring to was AFC Fylde

I dont get the tired leg excuse. Players for years have played 90 minutes 1-2 week. A poor pre season yes but we are far enough in to be fit and up to speed.

We were beaten by better tactics versus a team with square pegs in round holes.

The 3 at the back formation will always be an issue in our predicament. Before we were talking about left sided central defenders and now we are struggling even to line up a defender.

Taylor had the ****s apparently
I spoke with him and he was really not well.

Wes was straight onto an ice pack on his thigh when substituted and the physiotherapist was obviously monitoring Wes thru the game so probably an existing injury concern before kick off. Jack Bridge was half limping most of the game and Mooney looked to have a bad ankle/left foot.
The only good news is that Gus ought to be 100% for Tuesday.

I spoke with him and he was really not well.

Wes was straight onto an ice pack on his thigh when substituted and the physiotherapist was obviously monitoring Wes thru the game so probably an existing injury concern before kick off. Jack Bridge was half limping most of the game and Mooney looked to have a bad ankle/left foot.
The only good news is that Gus ought to be 100% for Tuesday.
Fonguck pulled out of training yesterday with a tight quad but put his body on the line today

Too many sub par performances today and the makeshift defence got found out, both goals were down to very weak defending (cheers Ron for putting us in this position where we only have one recognised CB).
I assume Taylor's injured? I can't fathom why else he wasn't brought on.

Biggest disappointments for me were Mooney and Bridge, two attack minded wing backs who offered naff all threat in the final third today, and weren't much help defensively either.

MOM probably Cardwell, he kept going despite limited service. A let down after the high of Tuesday and the fantastic pre match protest march. One to write off as the players will know they're capable of better.
Taylor was on the bench for decoration purposes only. He had a bout of food poisoning according to Kevin and pre
match he said that he wasn't well and would only play a part in desperate circumstances.

I dont get the tired leg excuse. Players for years have played 90 minutes 1-2 week. A poor pre season yes but we are far enough in to be fit and up to speed.
Correct, players for years have done this, but the difference now is that it is only our players that are having to do it every single game. That means it is a completely valid excuse because it is a huge disadvantage.

Taylor was on the bench for decoration purposes only. He had a bout of food poisoning according to Kevin and pre
match he said that he wasn't well and would only play a part in desperate circumstances.
Thanks. I just read Maher’s post match interview, I thought there’d be a good reason why he didn’t come on today. Hopefully he’ll be fully recovered and available for the Aldershot match.

Back