• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Blackpool FC

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond was left ruing his side’s defensive woes following today’s 3-1 defeat to Blackpool at Roots Hall.

More...

Where's Harry when you need him?

Clueless all round. Don't forget that Ralph gave away a needless free kick for the first goal. Just what you don't need on a swirly windy day and a keeper who doesn't jump and can't catch.

Reminded me if Turner and Oxley against AFC last season.

I thought Oxley should have got down quicker for the second.

Lennon and Ridgewell - school boy error going for the same ball.

Two games running we couldn't manage a shot on target in the first half.

They could easily have had another 2 before the idiot got sent off for what was probably the worst tackle ever at Roots Hall .

Coventry drawing nil nil at Bolton shows how bad we were last week.

If you want the gist of Bonds interview see Chris Phillips twitter account .

I dread to think what Lincoln will do to us next week.

Where's Harry when you need him?

Clueless all round. Don't forget that Ralph gave away a needless free kick for the first goal. Just what you don't need on a swirly windy day and a keeper who doesn't jump and can't catch.

Reminded me if Turner and Oxley against AFC last season.

I thought Oxley should have got down quicker for the second.

Lennon and Ridgewell - school boy error going for the same ball.

Two games running we couldn't manage a shot on target in the first half.

They could easily have had another 2 before the idiot got sent off for what was probably the worst tackle ever at Roots Hall .

Coventry drawing nil nil at Bolton shows how bad we were last week.

If you want the gist of Bonds interview see Chris Phillips twitter account .

I dread to think what Lincoln will do to us next week.

If we are being honest he is a Scottish League 1 keeper!

Replace may wth was and it would be more accurate.

Poor team selections like at Rochdale as well have been an unwelcome feature of Bond's spell in charge so far.

I cannot agree with your scores for Ralph, Milligan and Shaughnesssy. They deserve higher scores than these.

Really? Fair enough, but In a team that got steam rolled, nobody deserved higher than a 6 IMHO. what do you think they deserved?

Ralph - was OK, but not better than average. He put a couple of decent crosses in, but then also delivered a couple of poor ones.

Shaughnessy - was better when we went 442, but was still caught out of position on more than one occasion.

Milligan - started well, then faded terribly, before coming alive again via his excellent shot. The good bits in between that were fleeting to say the least.

Shrimperzone meltdown underway...!
Was all going well till about 3.03 this afternoon... 0-2 after 10 minutes was definately not in anyone's plans. But, some positives emerging.

1) the scoreboard came to life after 32 minutes
2) Coxy played 90 minutes - wasn't expecting that.
3) despite the misunderstandings and poor communication for the goals, the new lads all individually look impressive
4) Elvis wasn't hurt in that full on assault!
5) the second half was much better than the first!
6) consolation prize - West Ham lost 5-0!

I can’t even begin to understand the perception based drivel I’m reading on here. I’m off to bed!

Honestly felt embarrassed from that first half display. Struggling to think of poorer in the last 20+ years.

Shrimperzone meltdown underway...!
Was all going well till about 3.03 this afternoon... 0-2 after 10 minutes was definately not in anyone's plans. But, some positives emerging.

1) the scoreboard came to life after 32 minutes
2) Coxy played 90 minutes - wasn't expecting that.
3) despite the misunderstandings and poor communication for the goals, the new lads all individually look impressive
4) Elvis wasn't hurt in that full on assault!
5) the second half was much better than the first!
6) consolation prize - West Ham lost 5-0!

Yes, very pleased to see Elvis get back on his feet, was really fearing the worst, dreadful foul.

Honestly felt embarrassed from that first half display. Struggling to think of poorer in the last 20+ years.

I said at HT that the worst performance I’ve ever seen was the Mansfield mauling back in the early 2000’s. Today’s first half was easily on par with that.

That’s all he had to say along with something like “Nothing stuck up top, we didn’t do the simple stuff. It was a bad day, we’ll work hard in training and improve on Tuesday”

Perhaps Bond needs help with how not to lose the dressing room after just 2 games.
I heard he had already lost it once the ore season tour was in his mates hotel in Weymouth ... I genuinely hope not, it serves no one well seeing us totally decided and destroyed for a second successive season . I actually like bond and hope hope hope this resolved itself

Strangely we looked like a team that had prepared pre-season for playing one system then suddenly switched to another with the players seemingly not quite sure of their roles. Add to that one of the 3 CBs was clearly not ready for a start and Humphrys looked very wary of challenging too hard. He took a knock on the face early on and seemed to gingerly fiddle with his mask. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him subbed earlier.

Blackpool …. yes we were playing Blackpool, thank you geoffmundo …. were a well organised, aggressive team. Several of their first half challenges were clearly intended to hurt rather than win the ball (a bit like Ralph’s yellow card challenge) but the ref saw nothing wrong with theirs which probably gave Husband the confidence to try and put Elvis out of the game. Blackpool also targeted Oxley’s lack of confidence in going for balls in the air to great effect.

I’m not going to write off the season based on today’s game. Positives for me were Lennon and Shaughnessy though they worked better when we’d gone to 2 CBs. Milligan looks a class player but again he seems to be the sort you want playing just in front of 2 CBs rather than 3. Ralph looks useful. I thought Hutchinson had a mixed game but took on a lot of responsibility for a young ‘un, was our only creative midfield player and his corners were so much better than the dross we got used to last season. I rate Elvis quite highly but he still hasn’t got to grips with delivering a decent cross when well placed. Mantom continues to be a player who works hard but rarely comes away with the ball in 50-50 challenges, rarely delivers a telling pass .... basically I think he’d be OK in League 2.

People have slated Bond for singling out the forwards for criticism but neither of them were on top of their game. True they received pretty poor service but Cox’s hold up play and pass selection was not up to his usual standard .... maybe a game or two too early for him but perhaps playing is the best way to get him back to his best. Humphrys is still nervous about putting his head in where it hurts which is not surprising as it looks like he needs more time for his operations to heal. Both gave away the ball more than you’d expect. Sadly Robinson didn’t improve things when he came on. Our new winger Ndukwu ... a few good skills but since he didn’t play on the wing we don’t know yet how he’ll be. Charlie Kelman was not involved .... he didn’t seem to know where or what he should do.

To sum up, depressed by today’s result but I’ll hope for better from certain players and hopefully at least one new decent signing.

Last edited:
We heed Hopper back in the team. He could have done the job that was asked of Humphrys today. I do think Humphrys should have been able to do far better holding up and shielding the ball than he did when the ball came to him, I’m sorry to say. Humphrys is great and I love him but he’s got some things to work on in his game.

I love Hopper too. But what on earth could he have done with that service?

It was a pathetic performance and the manager should have the balls to put his hands up rather than blaming individuals.

3:00pm today; ruing that I wasn’t able to make today’s game
4:50pm today; feeling fortunate that I didn’t witness this **** show

Planning to go to Lincoln away next Saturday, but get the feeling that I will regret that one, and not sure I want to see those smug PE teachers faces when we get spanked...

Sort it out Bond, and quick!

Last edited:
Strangely we looked like a team that had prepared pre-season for playing one system then suddenly switched to another with the players seemingly not quite sure of their roles. Add to that one of the 3 CBs was clearly not ready for a start and Humphrys looked very wary of challenging too hard. He took a knock on the face early on and seemed to gingerly fiddle with his mask. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him subbed earlier.

Bury were a well organised, aggressive team. Several of their first half challenges were clearly intended to hurt rather than win the ball (a bit like Ralph’s yellow card challenge) but the ref saw nothing wrong with theirs which probably gave Husband the confidence to try and put Elvis out of the game. Bury also targeted Oxley’s lack of confidence in going for balls in the air to great effect.

I’m not going to write off the season based on today’s game. Positives for me were Lennon and Shaughnessy though they worked better when we’d gone to 2 CBs. Milligan looks a class player but again he seems to be the sort you want playing just in front of 2 CBs rather than 3. Ralph looks useful. I thought Hutchinson had a mixed game but took on a lot of responsibility for a young ‘un, was our only creative midfield player and his corners were so much better than the dross we got used to last season. I rate Elvis quite highly but he still hasn’t got to grips with delivering a decent cross when well placed. Mantom continues to be a player who works hard but rarely comes away with the ball in 50-50 challenges, rarely delivers a telling pass .... basically I think he’d be OK in League 2.

People have slated Bond for singling out the forwards for criticism but neither of them were on top of their game. True they received pretty poor service but Cox’s hold up play and pass selection was not up to his usual standard .... maybe a game or two too early for him but perhaps playing is the best way to get him back to his best. Humphrys is still nervous about putting his head in where it hurts which is not surprising as it looks like he needs more time for his operations to heal. Both gave away the ball more than you’d expect. Sadly Robinson didn’t improve things when he came on. Our new winger Ndukwu ... a few good skills but since he didn’t play on the wing we don’t know yet how he’ll be. Charlie Kelman was not involved .... he didn’t seem to know where or what he should do.

To sum up, depressed by today’s result but I’ll hope for better from certain players and hopefully at least one new decent signing.

I think you mean Blackpool?

Back