• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Blackpool FC

Ok, I’m not going to make a habit of match reports or player ratings but I was there today so I may as well....

However please remember, I am NOT a Southend ‘fan’. Over the last couple of seasons I have a loose affinity to the club that’s seen me move from watching academy matches to occasionally watching the 18/23s and if I can come by a free ticket the first team....I am in no way a lifelong fan but this affords me the luxury of sometimes viewing with a little more objectivity than some one who is a fan.....and I’ve learned slowly that having that undying passion for the club you’ve supported all your life is a privilege that I don’t have and I try to have more acceptance of those that have it and who air their opinion whether I agree with it or not.....

Someone said pre match that whoever adapted to the conditions better would win.....well as obvious as that sounds they were spot on....the game was over before it begun after one team showed the willingness to throw some men forward and chuck some balls into the box to see what might happen.....

There was also some debate over formation and suitability.....the consensus seemed pre match that with no good wingers and three good CBs and full backs who like to get forward that this formation suited us.....I said I didn’t believe it was KBs preferred formation and it hadn’t had anywhere near enough work done with it pre season for it to work......

However, I’m a strong believer that formations don’t win or lose you games but that players do and today, unfortunately, players lost you the game not a formation....although I do concede that it can have an effect, if the players aren’t suited to a style of play.

Today the decision to play 3 CBs made sense. Blackpool are a team of giants and were always going to pose a threat in the air and from set pieces....to have the extra CB in there should’ve helped combat that....what didn’t help was the third one was clearly not ready to play.....and KB let his game plan over ride the players available ability to execute it....

Anyway my thoughts individually may explain more :-

Oxley - The wind and bad luck combined to create an almighty howler on his part. The header clear went up in the air and he misjudged how far it would travel and how long it would stay in the air for.....9/10 he gets a given a foul against him and 9/10 it doesn’t land on Harry Lennon’s foot and bounce in!! That said it was a terrible piece of Goalkeeping that he should have dealt better with.

Elvis - He did ok. Much better second half as first half he was caught on the ball too often. However he along with others got better as the game went on. Defensively he was fine.

Ralph - I’ve been his biggest fan, but he was poor today. His touch was off and he never got to grips with the wind with his crossing. He was more of an outlet second half as Hutchinson moving in off the line allowed him space to get forward more. But his end product was poor.

Shaughnessy - He was poor first half but got better. He’s not a great footballer but he is a battler and he can head it! Distribution wise he needs to simply pass it to the closest midfield player and be done with it.

Lennon - A stand out player and at times he was holding us together defensively. He’s quick strong as an Ox and can play. Seriously if he stays fit he’s a Championship defender minimum!

Ridgewell - Where to start!!! I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t ready he can’t have been fit. I feel KB decided to play a formation and needed him to play for it to work....his distribution was a waste of time and oh my god his defending.....he was carrying his shopping for the second goal. He literally didn’t smell danger or did and just couldn’t change gear to deal with it...but a ball inside you at this level has to be a recovery run to intercept the route to goal....he couldn’t get there.
The third was embarrassing. He had two half hearted attempts at a clearance / tackle that he showed no conviction with before it was put into the net. Schoolboy u11s type desire....

By the time he was subbed I felt sorry for him but the ironic cheering was an embarrassment to the fans and to the club .....he’s a human being after all.

He’s an experienced pro...it’s not about whether he can put this behind him more a case of whether he’s even fussed about it....I fear he’s here to play without a care in the world....

Mantom - Toiled away. It’s never lack of effort with Mantom and more should recognize that and commend him for it. He won’t pass forwards and split defenses and he won’t dribble of if a tight area with great feet.....accept he’s a grafter. My problem is where does he fit in and who does he play along side and in what formation to get the best of him.....?‍♂️

Milligan - Never got a foothold in the game in the first twenty and that was disastrous for us...he needed to pull people in and give us a period of possession that we never got....after that he was excellent. Moved the ball quickly and efficiently and he covered the ground endlessly.

Hutchinson - I’m sorry but on here (faceless and nameless) he’s taken a coating. On the Facebook and Twitter comments (with real names) he’s been roundly appreciated and mentioned as MoM ?‍♂️ Coincidence?

The boys 19 and that was his first 90 mins ever and only his 4th competitive start, against adults, in his career.....he then had to fill three different positions during the 90 mins (how many other players do we have that could even do that if asked??). He struggled to be an attacking threat in the first half....agreed...imo largely due to Mantom and Milligan not dominating possession and Blackpool having the upper hand. However he passed the ball consistently and cleverly and one or two combinations with cox around the box give me real hope. Second half he went wide and his movement allowed Ralph to get into the game. He still retained the ball well and worked his nuts off. He then moved into CM in a 442 and out passed and out performed Mantom...he was constantly available, kept the ball well and got a couple of shots away.

As an addition...in that wind, where everyone else took corners and free kicks that went all over the place, his were on the money every time, created the goal and should’ve created another two....I’m telling you now you have a player there. I agree he needs to win more regains and more physical battles but he didn't actually get knocked off the ball while in possession at all...he lost out on aerial battles and if off balance but he was in no way off it physically.

Cox / Humphrys - Cox is clearly not fit. Just not quite at his high standards yet...this is to be expected. It wasn’t a lack of effort and his class still shows but he struggled to get away from people or do the things his brain was telling him to do when it was telling him to do it...

Humphrys isn’t right. I said it pre season and I saw it again today. It’s partly his recovery...he hasn’t fully recovered...he took a knock on his nose early on today and he wasn’t right after that at all. He can’t compete how he’d like to physically and he can’t get involved how he he’d like to. On top of that he’s definitely not feeling the love from his gaffer...and I get the impression he’s someone that needs to feel it....

You lot may not like hearing it about your favourites and it’s debatable whether KB should’ve said it in the press or not but KB wasn’t far wrong....the ball didn't stick to Humphrys and he repeatedly went long when it was played feet or showed feet when we went in behind....BUT....the fact is if they cannot take the criticism due they are in the wrong game. My bet is it’s nothing that wasn’t already said in the dressing room and his interview would not have been a surprise to them at all....get on with it!! Move on...prove him wrong...give him a reaction....don’t sulk!!! This is a hard horrible business with massive rewards and with that comes massive responsibility. Deal with it!!

The subs :-

Kelman - On at left mid 3-0 down.....crowd on your backs....give the kid a break!!! He actually played a decent pass in for Theo and he also snuck in round the back for a header that was well saved and Theo missed a sitter if a rebound!!!

Theo - His touch really was poor.....and he missed what was a real sitter to make it 3-2.....he is what he is...don’t expect any more or any less...

Ndukwu - He looks a threat but don’t tell me Hutchinson needs the gym but not say the same about Layton! I think he has a lot to offer...he’s exciting and pacey but consider two things...1. End product...what and where is it? 2. He’s a year older than Hutchinson and from a premier league club where he’s probably not far off a millionaire on paper....throw your support behind the one that’s your own...at least in equal measure???

On a positive. I though Milligan was absolutely outstanding. Easily the best player on the pitch and clearly cared more than most.

Ok, I’m not going to make a habit of match reports or player ratings but I was there today so I may as well....

However please remember, I am NOT a Southend ‘fan’. Over the last couple of seasons I have a loose affinity to the club that’s seen me move from watching academy matches to occasionally watching the 18/23s and if I can come by a free ticket the first team....I am in no way a lifelong fan but this affords me the luxury of sometimes viewing with a little more objectivity than some one who is a fan.....and I’ve learned slowly that having that undying passion for the club you’ve supported all your life is a privilege that I don’t have and I try to have more acceptance of those that have it and who air their opinion whether I agree with it or not.....

Someone said pre match that whoever adapted to the conditions better would win.....well as obvious as that sounds they were spot on....the game was over before it begun after one team showed the willingness to throw some men forward and chuck some balls into the box to see what might happen.....

There was also some debate over formation and suitability.....the consensus seemed pre match that with no good wingers and three good CBs and full backs who like to get forward that this formation suited us.....I said I didn’t believe it was KBs preferred formation and it hadn’t had anywhere near enough work done with it pre season for it to work......

However, I’m a strong believer that formations don’t win or lose you games but that players do and today, unfortunately, players lost you the game not a formation....although I do concede that it can have an effect, if the players aren’t suited to a style of play.

Today the decision to play 3 CBs made sense. Blackpool are a team of giants and were always going to pose a threat in the air and from set pieces....to have the extra CB in there should’ve helped combat that....what didn’t help was the third one was clearly not ready to play.....and KB let his game plan over ride the players available ability to execute it....

Oxley - The wind and bad luck combined to create an almighty howler on his part. The header clear went up in the air and he misjudged how far it would travel and how long it would stay in the air for.....9/10 he gets a given a foul against him and 9/10 it doesn’t land on Harry Lennon’s foot and bounce in!! That said it was a terrible piece of Goalkeeping that he should have dealt better with.

Elvis - He did ok. Much better second half as first half he was caught on the ball too often. However he along with others got better as the game went on. Defensively he was fine.

Ralph - I’ve been his biggest fan, but he was poor today. His touch was off and he never got to grips with the wind with his crossing. He was more of an outlet second half as Hutchinson moving in off the line allowed him space to get forward more. But his end product was poor.

Shaughnessy - He was poor first half but got better. He’s not a great footballer but he is a battler and he can head it! Distribution wise he needs to simply pass it to the closest midfield player and be done with it.

Lennon - A stand out player and at times he was holding us together defensively. He’s quick strong as an Ox and can play. Seriously if he stays fit he’s a Championship defender minimum!

Ridgewell - Where to start!!! I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t ready he can’t have been fit. I feel KB decided to play a formation and needed him to play for it to work....his distribution was a waste of time and oh my god his defending.....he was carrying his shopping for the second goal. He literally didn’t smell danger or did and just couldn’t change gear to deal with it...but a ball inside you at this level has to be a recovery run to intercept the route to goal....he couldn’t get there.
The third was embarrassing. He had two half hearted attempts at a clearance / tackle that he showed no conviction with before it was put into the net. Schoolboy u11s type desire....

By the time he was subbed I felt sorry for him but the ironic cheering was an embarrassment to the fans and to the club .....he’s a human being after all.

He’s an experienced pro...it’s not about whether he can put this behind him more a case of whether he’s even fussed about it....I fear he’s here to play without a care in the world....

Mantom - Toiled away. It’s never lack of effort with Mantom and more should recognize that and commend him for it. He won’t pass forwards and split defenses and he won’t dribble of if a tight area with great feet.....accept he’s a grafter. My problem is where does he fit in and who does he play along side and in what formation to get the best of him.....?‍♂️

Milligan - Never got a foothold in the game in the first twenty and that was disastrous for us...he needed to pull people in and give us a period of possession that we never got....after that he was excellent. Moved the ball quickly and efficiently and he covered the ground endlessly.

Hutchinson - I’m sorry but on here (faceless and nameless) he’s taken a coating. On the Facebook and Twitter comments (with real names) he’s been roundly appreciated and mentioned as MoM ?‍♂️ Coincidence?

The boys 19 and that was his first 90 mins ever and only his 4th competitive start, against adults, in his career.....he then had to fill three different positions during the 90 mins (how many other players do we have that could even do that if asked??). He struggled to be an attacking threat in the first half....agreed...imo largely due to Mantom and Milligan not dominating possession and Blackpool having the upper hand. However he passed the ball consistently and cleverly and one or two combinations with cox around the box give me real hope. Second half he went wide and his movement allowed Ralph to get into the game. He still retained the ball well and worked his nuts off. He then moved into CM in a 442 and out passed and out performed Mantom...he was constantly available, kept the ball well and got a couple of shots away.

As an addition...in that wind, where everyone else took corners and free kicks that went all over the place, his were on the money every time, created the goal and should’ve created another two....I’m telling you now you have a player there. I agree he needs to win more regains and more physical battles but he didn't actually get knocked off the ball while in possession at all...he lost out on aerial battles and if off balance but he was in no way off it physically.

Cox / Humphrys - Cox is clearly not fit. Just not quite at his high standards yet...this is to be expected. It wasn’t a lack of effort and his class still shows but he struggled to get away from people or do the things his brain was telling him to do when it was telling him to do it...

Humphrys isn’t right. I said it pre season and I saw it again today. It’s partly his recovery...he hasn’t fully recovered...he took a knock on his nose early on today and he wasn’t right after that at all. He can’t compete how he’d like to physically and he can’t get involved how he he’d like to. On top of that he’s definitely not feeling the love from his gaffer...and I get the impression he’s someone that needs to feel it....

You lot may not like hearing it about your favourites and it’s debatable whether KB should’ve said it in the press or not but KB wasn’t far wrong....the ball didn't stick to Humphrys and he repeatedly went long when it was played feet or showed feet when we went in behind....BUT....the fact is if they cannot take the criticism due they are in the wrong game. My bet is it’s nothing that wasn’t already said in the dressing room and his interview would not have been a surprise to them at all....get on with it!! Move on...prove him wrong...give him a reaction....don’t sulk!!! This is a hard horrible business with massive rewards and with that comes massive responsibility. Deal with it!!

Kelman - On at left mid 3-0 down.....crowd on your backs....give the kid a break!!! He actually played a decent pass in for Theo and he also snuck in round the back for a header that was well saved and Theo missed a sitter if a rebound!!!

Theo - His touch really was poor.....and he missed what was a real sitter to make it 3-2.....he is what he is...don’t expect any more or any less...

Ndukwu - He looks a threat but don’t tell me Hutchinson needs the gym but not say the same about Layton! I think he has a lot to offer...he’s exciting and pacey but consider two things...1. End product...what and where is it? 2. He’s a year older than Hutchinson and from a premier league club where he’s probably not far off a millionaire on paper....throw your support behind the one that’s your own...at least in equal measure???

Thanks. This is a great post.

I will keep this short. I thought Bond's first interview on the Radio when the team was announced was disrespectful and unprofessional. His after match interview was a disgrace. There is no way he should be slagging his players off in an interview. Thought Humphrys and Cox were not great but the service they got was shocking.

The way Bond set the team up was odd and clearly didn't work. The 3 centre backs were too far apart to start with and Elvis and Ralph started the game too far forward. Little wonder the ball kept going in behind them. I can't understand why it took Bond 53 minutes to admit he had made a mistake and take Ridgewell off.

In conclusion,I really feel that Bond is out of his depth. He may have been a decent assistant to Harry R BUT there has to be a reason why he has had only 2 short spells as a manager in his career. On the evidence of today he is the closest we have had to Dick Bate in years.

I will keep this short. I thought Bond's first interview on the Radio when the team was announced was disrespectful and unprofessional. His after match interview was a disgrace. There is no way he should be slagging his players off in an interview. Thought Humphrys and Cox were not great but the service they got was shocking.

The way Bond set the team up was odd and clearly didn't work. The 3 centre backs were too far apart to start with and Elvis and Ralph started the game too far forward. Little wonder the ball kept going in behind them. I can't understand why it took Bond 53 minutes to admit he had made a mistake and take Ridgewell off.

In conclusion,I really feel that Bond is out of his depth. He may have been a decent assistant to Harry R BUT there has to be a reason why he has had only 2 short spells as a manager in his career. On the evidence of today he is the closest we have had to Dick Bate in years.

Now that IS a great post.

That was an appalling performance. Milligan and Ralph were the only two to come out with any credit and they must both wonder what they’ve let themselves in for.

Something clearly wasn’t right with Humphrys, Hutchinson was all at sea. Elvis was typical Elvis, Mantom seemed ok but faded a lot.

Yet another game that bond got the starting formation and selection very wrong.

New winger looked lively I thought, and Theo did more in 30 mins than cox or Humphrys both managed in 60

Agree except Ralph was shocking. There was no credit in his performance unless you have high appreciation for the over-hit or wayward pass. Looks like a donkey to me......

So today was my first ever game watching Southend and indeed any league 1 clubs.
Best decision today was play with wind in first half, throw players up and give it a go, paid off and looked like men against boys.
Seemed like Southend were caught cold and then went into their shell until second half when they had wind in their favour.
Regarding the ref, is this the standard in league 1?
Second half looked much better but wind played its part and Blackpool shut up shop although did see signs of good football from Southend.
Shocking tackles from Blackpool although Bond did pre empt this in preview and he was right about that. Sending off made them play 9 men back which will always be difficult to break down.
Shame he blamed players and hope he doesnt lose dressing room.
Believe you have new signings and loanees so assume will take time to bed in?
From my point of view being a neutral I think I will give it some time and see what happens but not too despondant and looking forward to Lincoln next week.
To summarise I believe its too early to judge but understand you diehard fans have probably seen it all before.
Enjoyed the game for what it was and atmosphere was good and ground has character.
Its a long season so get behind em and enjoy as it seems like a great club

Absolutely a top report ,i do believe you know and understand football and tactics probably better than almost everyone on here .thanks Grapevine ,i look forward to reading more of your comments as the season progresses.

Whilst I agree with a lot with what people have said I really don't understand the criticism of subbing Humpreys, he was awful, I can only think the nostalgia of his winner against Sunderland is clouding people's judgments. I can't think of a single header he won or a pass he made, he didn't look match fit at all to me.
Admittedly Theo was just as bad (possibly worse) but Bond couldn't have known that prior to making the substitution.

Goodship not even on the bench yet he is a proven goal scorer, Kellman preferred yet he is a rookie. Humphreys selected yet is not yet ready and will not / cannot challenge in the air as a target man (I am not criticising him), why?

Did anyone else hear the idiots in the South upper who boo’d Theo when he came on? I’m not one of Theo’s favourite fans, but jeez booing your own player as he enters the field of play... really?!

Thought Bonds tactics were just as bad as his post match interview. He has lost me already never mind the dressing room! Seriously hoping that this is an early season blip, but I reckon Bond will resign by Xmas if this continues.

Last edited:
The upcoming victory over Stevenage will cheer a few hearts and will carry the team on to a good result against Lincoln. Rocky Balboa was more eloquent than KB and I suggest the manager does his talking through the team performances on the pitch and leaves interviews to his no. 2 UTB

Lots of understandable frustration on here. Whilst not particularly agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's views, I think we have to consider the following.

1) Wind is the absolute worst weather to play football in. I've never seen a good game in a high wind. They had it at their backs in the first half and utilised it much better than we did in the second. When the ball swirls about, it makes headers difficult and it's especially a nightmare for keepers. Oxley should have done better for the first but actually made 3 or 4 good punches after that. He made an excellent save low down at 3-0 and had no chance with the other two. The mistake for the first is being used as an excuse for his critics to just jump on him. Nathan Bishop may have not made that mistake but also may have not made a great save. We are not going to have goalkeepers that are brilliant at all aspects of the game; this is league 1. Oxley, for his faults, is as good a keeper as we can expect to have and was awesome two seasons ago. Have we actually forgotten that?

2) Bond has set his sights on trying to keep a clean sheet. Until we do that, we always stand a chance of losing matches. We haven't kept a clean sheet since January. Now he has brought in solid defenders like Ralph and Shaughnessy who in the other games have both been superb. Lennon didn't do anything particularly wrong today aside from the miscommunication with Ridgewell which led to the corner where they scored the third. With the midfield that we have - a non existent one - I can totally get the logic of playing 3 CB's and 2 wing backs. The key to that system - as someone else said on here - is the central midfielders. Milligan is fine but Mantom, Hyam, Hutchinson or whoever are just not the answer. An in form Yearwood would have been ideal in that system but he's been sold now - good business in my opinion, can't knock that - but we haven't got a replacement. Hutchinson looked again out of his depth and his first touch is poor. Looks ok on the ball and can cross but there are many other things missing from his game which I'm sure will come but aren't there yet. Until we get a better midfield we are going to struggle.

3) Humphrys sometimes looks as though he has the hump. This was one of those days. Both he and Cox have cemented their place in our history as fans favourites but actually, today they were shocking. Humphrys gave the ball away stupidly when under no pressure and they raced away to go 2-0 up. Cox was repeatedly caught in possession. Now that may well be because of the system and lack of support but they didn't hold the ball up. At all. And neither did Theo when he came on.

4) It was better in the second half. Or was it, really? Wasn't it just the case that Blackpool had done their job and just sat back, then went down to 10 men? What is frustrating is that when we sit back and protect a lead we concede.

5) We ALWAYS start slowly. I can't remember the last season when we actually had a good August. For some reason it always takes until September for us to get going.

6) A big positive, this. There is still 3 weeks left of the transfer window and we have players coming back. We have time to bring in a loanee. Unfortunately none of our injured players are central midfielders but we will have a stronger squad. It will be fine. The new players need to settle in. No need to panic.

As for Bond, it was an interview with a difference, I'll give you that. But I'm really puzzled as to what managers are meant to say as no matter what comes out it is either wrong/insincere/mad/rubbish or anything else other than the right thing to say. What is the right thing to say? What I heard was a manager being interviewed after an appalling game, where his system was shot and broken within 15 minutes, where players didn't do the job they were asked and he literally had no words, or was at least trying to find them, hence the long pauses at the start. I have no problem with a manager stating that a player is to blame for a mistake, and if the player concerned can't take that then that's his problem. As one of the senior pros, I would expect Cox was told in the dressing room that he and Humphrys were shocking and will know himself that he didn't do all that well. He might not like it (who does?) but is old enough to accept it and move on. People's perceptions of what he might think or say are possibly wide of the mark. These are pro footballers and I have no problem with them being publicly criticised if they have not done their jobs. We do it, after all!

And so in true SUFC style, we head to Lincoln next week fearing the worst. That's when we are at our best, when there are no expectations. We'll probably win.
To come out and call two players shocking to the media has no benefit at all imo. Even if they were, tell them behind closed doors.

Bond has been very quiet and coy so far so I can only put it down to a loss of temper.

The first half was the worst I've seen us defensively at home perhaps ever. Even worse than some of last season's horror shows, it was just shocking.

Oxley was hugely at fault for the first, and perhaps the third? Glued to his line giving the defense no confidence at all. Ridgewell was awful too, I can only hope he's not fit.

I've got to hold my hands up and admit I suggested a wing back formation before today's horror show. Surely John White would have been a better bet than Ridgewell though?

To come out and call two players shocking to the media has no benefit at all imo. Even if they were, tell them behind closed doors.

Bond has been very quiet and coy so far so I can only put it down to a loss of temper.

TBF I was hugely disappointed with Humphreys today too, It looked like the 'hero' hype had got to him. The only good run he had got messed up by him hogging the ball. And let's not forget the David Mooney esque offside from our goal kick when he could see across the whole line.

Come on Humphreys, you're better than that, let's see it please!

I was quite hopeful after the first game.
So after forking out 185AUD for the season, to watch the mighty blues, that was mighty disappointing.
In fact it was outrageously awful.
I thought, there’s 90min I’ll never get back.
The only one I felt who could walk off the pitch with some sort of pride in their performance, was the young Hutchinson, the rest were diabolical.
Seriously fortunate to not have lost but more.
While we may have had a bit of a go after them going down to ten men (which we should’ve), I felt it exposed how woeful we really were, as we still made so many fundamental errors.
We never looked close to getting back in the game, despite Lennon’s goal.
I believe we have the talent, but not quite sure what it’s going to take for Bond to turn this around.
Hopefully some serious soul searching, cause on today’s performance we have no soul.

This was a game where I wish iFollow was not working, at least in the first half. Can't think of a worse half of football I've seen in a long time.

The second half was better but I'm not sure whether that was because the wind was at our backs and Blackpool were sitting back as much as it was a change in shape and personnel.

Players didn't seem to know where they were supposed to be most of the time. Milligan and Mantom seemed to want to be on the same patch of grass as the other most of the game and with the wing backs pushing up it left acres of space for Blackpool to attack into with Ridgewell in particular seeming to be unable or unwilling to cover that space.

The only positives were probably Lennon, Elvis, Ralph and, for parts of the game, Milligan. Humphrys and Cox tried hard in the first half but with the ball flying in at high altitude they didn't stand much chance of getting on the end of anything.

Back