• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Blackpool FC

First game for over two seasons. Tough watch and certainly gives some context around the glass half empty commentary that I regularly read on SZ.

Don't want to repeat many of the informed reviews above but would say I was sat immediately behind what I assume to be two opposition scouts (although why would they be seated in the directors' box?) - and was able to read their first half notes. Complimentary about Blackpool- "fast starters, quick passing, kept it simple". Less so about Southend - "Ridgewell gone; GK weak; sh*t goal; very very slow - no pace".

Visiting Roots Hall continues to be like your first girlfriend - is ageing terribly but still can't shift her from your heart!!

Anyone can if they buy a ticket. Its more a case of no other option for our guests. Our scouts, the ones looking at the opposition, will get treated the same at other grounds.

I have had a few chats with the Rochdale scout, after I gave him a few tips one season. nothing that would bring a charge of treason, just how bad our set pieces were. After about 60 mins he was laughing at a few because the delivery was so bad he could not report who in a Southend shirt was the intended target.

Ok, I’m not going to make a habit of match reports or player ratings but I was there today so I may as well....

However please remember, I am NOT a Southend ‘fan’. Over the last couple of seasons I have a loose affinity to the club that’s seen me move from watching academy matches to occasionally watching the 18/23s and if I can come by a free ticket the first team....I am in no way a lifelong fan but this affords me the luxury of sometimes viewing with a little more objectivity than some one who is a fan.....and I’ve learned slowly that having that undying passion for the club you’ve supported all your life is a privilege that I don’t have and I try to have more acceptance of those that have it and who air their opinion whether I agree with it or not.....

Someone said pre match that whoever adapted to the conditions better would win.....well as obvious as that sounds they were spot on....the game was over before it begun after one team showed the willingness to throw some men forward and chuck some balls into the box to see what might happen.....

There was also some debate over formation and suitability.....the consensus seemed pre match that with no good wingers and three good CBs and full backs who like to get forward that this formation suited us.....I said I didn’t believe it was KBs preferred formation and it hadn’t had anywhere near enough work done with it pre season for it to work......

However, I’m a strong believer that formations don’t win or lose you games but that players do and today, unfortunately, players lost you the game not a formation....although I do concede that it can have an effect, if the players aren’t suited to a style of play.

Today the decision to play 3 CBs made sense. Blackpool are a team of giants and were always going to pose a threat in the air and from set pieces....to have the extra CB in there should’ve helped combat that....what didn’t help was the third one was clearly not ready to play.....and KB let his game plan over ride the players available ability to execute it....

Anyway my thoughts individually may explain more :-

Oxley - The wind and bad luck combined to create an almighty howler on his part. The header clear went up in the air and he misjudged how far it would travel and how long it would stay in the air for.....9/10 he gets a given a foul against him and 9/10 it doesn’t land on Harry Lennon’s foot and bounce in!! That said it was a terrible piece of Goalkeeping that he should have dealt better with.

Elvis - He did ok. Much better second half as first half he was caught on the ball too often. However he along with others got better as the game went on. Defensively he was fine.

Ralph - I’ve been his biggest fan, but he was poor today. His touch was off and he never got to grips with the wind with his crossing. He was more of an outlet second half as Hutchinson moving in off the line allowed him space to get forward more. But his end product was poor.

Shaughnessy - He was poor first half but got better. He’s not a great footballer but he is a battler and he can head it! Distribution wise he needs to simply pass it to the closest midfield player and be done with it.

Lennon - A stand out player and at times he was holding us together defensively. He’s quick strong as an Ox and can play. Seriously if he stays fit he’s a Championship defender minimum!

Ridgewell - Where to start!!! I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t ready he can’t have been fit. I feel KB decided to play a formation and needed him to play for it to work....his distribution was a waste of time and oh my god his defending.....he was carrying his shopping for the second goal. He literally didn’t smell danger or did and just couldn’t change gear to deal with it...but a ball inside you at this level has to be a recovery run to intercept the route to goal....he couldn’t get there.
The third was embarrassing. He had two half hearted attempts at a clearance / tackle that he showed no conviction with before it was put into the net. Schoolboy u11s type desire....

By the time he was subbed I felt sorry for him but the ironic cheering was an embarrassment to the fans and to the club .....he’s a human being after all.

He’s an experienced pro...it’s not about whether he can put this behind him more a case of whether he’s even fussed about it....I fear he’s here to play without a care in the world....

Mantom - Toiled away. It’s never lack of effort with Mantom and more should recognize that and commend him for it. He won’t pass forwards and split defenses and he won’t dribble of if a tight area with great feet.....accept he’s a grafter. My problem is where does he fit in and who does he play along side and in what formation to get the best of him.....?‍♂️

Milligan - Never got a foothold in the game in the first twenty and that was disastrous for us...he needed to pull people in and give us a period of possession that we never got....after that he was excellent. Moved the ball quickly and efficiently and he covered the ground endlessly.

Hutchinson - I’m sorry but on here (faceless and nameless) he’s taken a coating. On the Facebook and Twitter comments (with real names) he’s been roundly appreciated and mentioned as MoM ?‍♂️ Coincidence?

The boys 19 and that was his first 90 mins ever and only his 4th competitive start, against adults, in his career.....he then had to fill three different positions during the 90 mins (how many other players do we have that could even do that if asked??). He struggled to be an attacking threat in the first half....agreed...imo largely due to Mantom and Milligan not dominating possession and Blackpool having the upper hand. However he passed the ball consistently and cleverly and one or two combinations with cox around the box give me real hope. Second half he went wide and his movement allowed Ralph to get into the game. He still retained the ball well and worked his nuts off. He then moved into CM in a 442 and out passed and out performed Mantom...he was constantly available, kept the ball well and got a couple of shots away.

As an addition...in that wind, where everyone else took corners and free kicks that went all over the place, his were on the money every time, created the goal and should’ve created another two....I’m telling you now you have a player there. I agree he needs to win more regains and more physical battles but he didn't actually get knocked off the ball while in possession at all...he lost out on aerial battles and if off balance but he was in no way off it physically.

Cox / Humphrys - Cox is clearly not fit. Just not quite at his high standards yet...this is to be expected. It wasn’t a lack of effort and his class still shows but he struggled to get away from people or do the things his brain was telling him to do when it was telling him to do it...

Humphrys isn’t right. I said it pre season and I saw it again today. It’s partly his recovery...he hasn’t fully recovered...he took a knock on his nose early on today and he wasn’t right after that at all. He can’t compete how he’d like to physically and he can’t get involved how he he’d like to. On top of that he’s definitely not feeling the love from his gaffer...and I get the impression he’s someone that needs to feel it....

You lot may not like hearing it about your favourites and it’s debatable whether KB should’ve said it in the press or not but KB wasn’t far wrong....the ball didn't stick to Humphrys and he repeatedly went long when it was played feet or showed feet when we went in behind....BUT....the fact is if they cannot take the criticism due they are in the wrong game. My bet is it’s nothing that wasn’t already said in the dressing room and his interview would not have been a surprise to them at all....get on with it!! Move on...prove him wrong...give him a reaction....don’t sulk!!! This is a hard horrible business with massive rewards and with that comes massive responsibility. Deal with it!!

The subs :-

Kelman - On at left mid 3-0 down.....crowd on your backs....give the kid a break!!! He actually played a decent pass in for Theo and he also snuck in round the back for a header that was well saved and Theo missed a sitter if a rebound!!!

Theo - His touch really was poor.....and he missed what was a real sitter to make it 3-2.....he is what he is...don’t expect any more or any less...

Ndukwu - He looks a threat but don’t tell me Hutchinson needs the gym but not say the same about Layton! I think he has a lot to offer...he’s exciting and pacey but consider two things...1. End product...what and where is it? 2. He’s a year older than Hutchinson and from a premier league club where he’s probably not far off a millionaire on paper....throw your support behind the one that’s your own...at least in equal measure???

For me a very sensible and pragmatic post. Far too early to judge anything about the coming season or any of the players for that matter. Yes Bond's' set up for both these first two games was a bit odd but don't think he knew Dru wouldn't be playing up at Coventry and that would have made the midfield a bit more balanced and but for the failure of two of our players chickening out from block the shot (that put Cov 1-0) we might have come away for a draw. I was at that game and for me the excitement of the last 15 mins made up for the dross before it and If one of those last minute efforts had gone into the net again we'd have come away with a draw.

Yesterday in that very strong wind the set-up might have worked and maybe Bond was surprised by Ridgewell's lack of fitness and sharpness - the actual formation did make sense in the conditions and with out current our lack of natural (fit or in-form) wingers.

So I do feel he has had some really bad luck with the team in these first few fixtures. Farcical first goal yes, poor from Oxley yes, but a fluke that the ball ended up in our net, on another day it wouldn't have, and then only being 2-0 down at the break might have made a big difference with the result. (If we had won the toss it might have made a lot of difference in this game). If we had a player with Theo's pace and workrate but with Humphreys finishing that also might have made all the difference. Let's see what else happens in this window before we get to despondent.

Didn't one of the promoted teams last year have a really bad start???

Really interesting posts on this thread- considered, thoughtful and, quite rightly given yesterday’s performance, concerned. For what they are worth my thoughts are that our problems began with the decision to play 352/532. The players seemed unsure of their positions and how they should operate which meant that we seemed very static, leaving Blackpool to flood the midfield, isolate our wingbacks and attack the aching spaces that opened up between our centre backs. Confidence seemed to drain from our players and almost before our home season had started this game was lost.

I do think we have the players to secure a comfortable (?) mid-table finish but if we persist with 352 we may need nerves of steel to survive the stress before the team are comfortable with it. At the moment it seems an unnecessary risk, particularly as our performance improved once we had reverted to 442, albeit we played against 10 men for half an hour.

My real concern is that we do not have a sufficiently mobile midfield. From where I sit in South Upper it seemed that whenever we got the ball in defence or the middle third our players all moved away from the man with the ball rather than taking up positions where they could support him and receive a pass, allowing Blackpool to suffocate our possession by sheer weight of numbers. If no one moves or makes a run there is no need for the opposition’s players to move to cover them and consequently we neither open up space for ourselves nor allow ourselves any option other than a sideways or backwards pass.

Milligan, Lennon and Bwomono were the standout performers for me yesterday. Others will improve on their performances but if Cox is right and that it feels like last season it may be that confidence will be the hardest thing for us to rediscover and the biggest threat to winning games. For what it is worth I think we will settle into the season and do all right.

Kevin Bond? I think the jury is out on him at the moment. He is undoubtedly a very good coach but he must adjust to League 1 level and surely must back his players in public rather than throwing them under the bus as he did with Cox and Humphrys in his post-match interview yesterday.

I would love to know whether Bond has tried to move Theo on - and so far failed.
I can forgive Humphrys the odd bad game, but until Mr Robinson learns to control a ball, thus taking fewer touches - he is never going to cut it at this level.
Obviously Hopper's injury is a huge blow, but we desperately need better than Goodship and TR.

Not sure where the Bond got his team and tactics all wrong has come from.

Last week he was slagged for not picking Humprhys.....Everyone wanted SH and Cox to start yesterday and you also wanted Theo Mcl and Goodship dropped. Replace them with wingers we don't have as well as a new lad in CM who can pass like Glen Hoddle.

The 3 at the back was an attacking formation. Look how far Elvis and Ralph were up the pitch even though we were defending the wind. They were our wide attacking option. Don't look to much into how it reads on a sheet look at how they played.

Obviously we don't yet have the CM that ticks the creativity box and Mantom, Hyam and Dieng aren't Bond signings. The new lad from Leicester was never going to start for a whole list of reasons.

Humprhys got that elbow and went quiet, so we ended up with Cox challenging for goal kicks etc. Not sure a tweak here and there would have changed much in the grand scheme of things.

Credit to Blackpool, plenty of good committed blocks, unlike us for the 3rd goal.
Even that early free kick, they used a left foot to bend it in with the wind to the far post and put us under pressure. Whilst they gambled to force the error by Oxley we allowed their keeper to spill one in the wind but no blue shirt was within 10 feet.

I don't listen to interviews but Bond had credibility in what he says. If that loses anyone in the team then its best we find that out in August and get them out the door whilst we can.......Mr nice guy CP got no response from his players and got hounded out of the club by fans.....Perhaps Bond noticed how much noise the Blackpool fans made right from the KO where as we were silent at Cov in the first half. Perhaps he picked up on the uninspiring atmosphere for the first home game and has decided that old school silence and cover stories as to why you haven't picked a certain player gets you know where with fans.......If he feels the need to publicly speak up then good luck to him. Its his right, he is the boss.

Oxley 4 - Had a nightmare first half, hugely at fault for the comedy og.
Bwomono 7 - Thought he had a fairly decent game and got forward well in the second half.
Shaunessy 5 - Poor, got caught out a few times.
Lennon 6 - Best of the CB's, mix up with Ridgewell led to the corner for their third.
Ridgewell 3 - Awful, TBF he didn't look anywhere near fit, you have to question why Bond played him? Errors in the build up to all three Blackpool goals.
Ralph 5 - Poor first half, kept miscontrolling the ball. Better in the second half though.
Milligan 8 - Looks a class act and passing was excellent.
Mantom 5 - Fairly anonymous, can't remember him doing much of note.
Hutchinson 6 - Certainly looks a good prospect, he linked play well at times and showed some neat control and passing. Didn't really do enough in the final third, though not helped by others around him being poor.
Cox 5 - Not his best performance, nothing really came off, not his goal either, definitely an og!
Humphrys 4 - I mentioned earlier that I was disappointed with him yesterday. Poor movement, which being caught needlessly offside from a goal kick (or maybe a long free kick?) typified. He's capable of so much more, hopefully it was a one off bad day. Theo came on and was an improvement which I doubt will happen to often.

Subs - All 6, Ndukwu certainly has skill but cut inside too much for my liking, if he's playing as a winger use the width. Theo did okay but did miss what looked a sitter late on. Likewise Kelman, I still think sticking out wide is odd, but he played a part and was involved in the build up to Theo's late chance.

Bond 3 - Playing Ridgewell was clearly a bad mistake. Why wasn't he subbed at the break? Waiting a few minutes into the second half seemed bizarre.

Last edited:
Not sure where the Bond got his team and tactics all wrong has come from.

Last week he was slagged for not picking Humprhys.....Everyone wanted SH and Cox to start yesterday and you also wanted Theo Mcl and Goodship dropped. Replace them with wingers we don't have as well as a new lad in CM who can pass like Glen Hoddle.

The 3 at the back was an attacking formation. Look how far Elvis and Ralph were up the pitch even though we were defending the wind. They were our wide attacking option. Don't look to much into how it reads on a sheet look at how they played.

Obviously we don't yet have the CM that ticks the creativity box and Mantom, Hyam and Dieng aren't Bond signings. The new lad from Leicester was never going to start for a whole list of reasons.

Humprhys got that elbow and went quiet, so we ended up with Cox challenging for goal kicks etc. Not sure a tweak here and there would have changed much in the grand scheme of things.

Credit to Blackpool, plenty of good committed blocks, unlike us for the 3rd goal.
Even that early free kick, they used a left foot to bend it in with the wind to the far post and put us under pressure. Whilst they gambled to force the error by Oxley we allowed their keeper to spill one in the wind but no blue shirt was within 10 feet.

I don't listen to interviews but Bond had credibility in what he says. If that loses anyone in the team then its best we find that out in August and get them out the door whilst we can.......Mr nice guy CP got no response from his players and got hounded out of the club by fans.....Perhaps Bond noticed how much noise the Blackpool fans made right from the KO where as we were silent at Cov in the first half. Perhaps he picked up on the uninspiring atmosphere for the first home game and has decided that old school silence and cover stories as to why you haven't picked a certain player gets you know where with fans.......If he feels the need to publicly speak up then good luck to him. Its his right, he is the boss.

He won't be for much longer though.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond felt the Shrimpers' front-men were 'shocking' against Blackpool, he never mentioned that he chose them though. I sit in East Reds and not on one occasion did I see or hear anything omitted from his mouth and come to that neither of his team contributed. He said that we needed to retain the ball so he took off Humphrys and replaced him with Theo I cant hit a Barn Door even if I tried Robinson. Bond then said "The funny thing is I thought Harry Lennon played well today and so did (Joe) Shaughnessy by and large,". (Mark) Milligan was excellent and the two full-backs did OK. (Isaac) Hutchinson, a young kid, did alright on the ball but we shipped three goals." No **** Sherlock!!! I listened to his post-match interview and was shocked with what I heard. There was very little mention of his pre-match setup along with his inability to change to adapt to Blackpool’s tactics (and the wind too). Speaking about tactics I am convinced that he thinks Tactics are Scottish Mints. I have supported the Blues since 1964 and without fear of contradiction I have never heard such a pathetic post-match interview. I JUST hope it is a glitch!!!

I thought Hutchinson played really well. Yes he's a bit lightweight but he has the knack of being able to shake off his man with a twist and turn which gives him the space to run or pick a decent pass.

If you based that opinion on yesterday then you were clearly zoinked off your shed on ecstasy during the game. I’m guessing today you’re feeling pretty rough?

Bond 3 - Playing Ridgewell was clearly a bad mistake. Why wasn't he subbed at the break? Waiting a few minutes into the second half seemed bizarre.

Might have been because of a number of reasons, including terms of the loan, financial etc.

If you based that opinion on yesterday then you were clearly zoinked off your shed on ecstasy during the game. I’m guessing today you’re feeling pretty rough?

Nothing more constructive, considered or tactical to add to that then?

Blackpool fan here, I've read this thread with interest, as some excellent points have been made.

I was obviously pleased with the whole afternoon, almost. I thought electing to kick towards us in the first half was a good move, as it gave us an initiative we retained for the whole of the first hour.

I definitely felt we tried to take account of the conditions. I've not seen us taking inswinging corners from both sides in ages, for instance. The 'keeper is clearly at fault with the first goal, but ours also completely missed a cross that the wind took beyond him in the second half.

Remarks about our physicality didn't surprise me, as I read a lot of similar thoughts last season, and we are clearly not a team who can be bullied. I did think that your lads were naive in some off the challenges that they made - we quickly realised that the referee was apt to give the kind of cheap free kicks that we won all afternoon. Your team never seemed to realise this.

I'm surprised that your manager did not makes changes sooner. Ridgewell should have had the hook in the first half an hour as he seemed to be wading through treacle at times. The second goal was the real killer and I felt was no-one's "fault" - just a beautiful, incisive pass and a cool finish. The third goal was a mess.

The sending off - no complaints from me. Husband was still stewing about whatever had gone on off the ball between the two about five minutes earlier, which he had already had a lecture about. He lost concentration when the ball seemed to be going out, which was why he was late there. And the challenge was reckless. He let us down, because I think we could and should have gone on to get more. Instead, we just retreated to thirty yards from our goal and invited you to have the ball and see what you could do. You had your moments - but not enough of them.

I saw you in the "homecoming" game at Bloomfield Road last season, when I thought you were much improved on the game at Roots Hall earlier in the year. Yesterday, you looked to have gone backwards again. Too many simple - and basic - errors ; not enough composure, too much uncertainty at the back. You played far better at 0-3 when the game had effectively gone and the pressure was off, somewhat.

It's only one game, there is still a fair way to go before the window closes, but I feel that you may find it a tough year. We played Bristol Rovers last week, and by comparison they looked better organised, passed it far better and moved better than you did yesterday.

Hard for me to assess us, bias being what it is. The feel good factor is enormous at the moment, for obvious reasons, and new players like Kaikai are galvanising some of the players who were here before but who now seem liberated by the way we are being asked to play. If it sounded like one long party in the away end, that is because that is exactly what it was.

Back