• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Well that was a woeful second half. Wasn't there Saturday so won't draw comparisons but there was some atrocious defending on display and some hopeless attacking. First half was alright, but as soon as they put Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on it was game over and our defence looked like they all **** themselves and then played like it too.

Oxley 5.5 Should have done better with all three I think, but to be fair to him none of them should have got that far for it to rely on him. My view wasn't the best so may be wrong but thought he could have done better.
Demetriou 6 Fairly solid defensively, a few naive fouls but did alright on the whole.
Sokolik 6.5 Solid and whilst a few passes and clearances went astray he was reliable and didn't let much past him.
White 6.5 As above.
Coker 6.5 Started well and gradually got worse as the game went on, looked like he was missing sharpness and a bit of fitness.
O'Neill 4 Wasted, looked lost in the opposition half. Put some decent deliveries in the box late on but offered absolutely nothing up to that.
Leonard 6 Not his usual self, stray passes, pulled out of position, missing when needed to protect the defence too often.
King 6.5 All the right ideas but not the execution. Seemed like he was shackled in a deeper role than he would prefer.
McLaughlin 7 MOTM Got at them, didn't stop chasing, our biggest threat.
Mooney 5 Fall over, fall over, fall over. If he ever tried to beat his man to the ball it could have been 4-0.
Cox 7 Worked his socks off and was exhausted by the end, lacks quality around him to shine.

Subs
Bridge 6.5 Not enough time to influence the result but put himself about.
McGlashan 7 Pace that we desperately needed but as above.
Williams - No time.

Why on earth did we not make a substitution until the last 10/15 minutes?! Playing against a side with a small squad who used up all three subs around the hour mark with the scores level and McGlashan's pace on the bench and we didn't use it. As soon as they equalised, heads dropped and at 2-1 it was game over.

Set pieces again. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas again. Brown/Coughlan have a hell of a lot of questions to answer.

Last edited:
Was there Saturday but not able to get there tonight. Sounded on the commentary like it was Groundhog Day! Not a great start to the season...:'(

Am I terrible that I predicted 1-3 for the prediction league ? Sorry to jinx it but after Saturday I couldn't see us doing anything other than losing. :blush:

Well that was a woeful second half. Wasn't there Saturday so won't draw comparisons but there was some atrocious defending on display and some hopeless attacking. First half was alright, but as soon as they put Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on it was game over and our defence looked like they all **** themselves and then played like it too.

Oxley 5.5 Should have done better with all three I think, but to be fair to him none of them should have got that far for it to rely on him. My view wasn't the best so may be wrong but thought he could have done better.
Demetriou 6 Fairly solid defensively, a few naive fouls but did alright on the whole.
Sokolik 6.5 Solid and whilst a few passes and clearances went astray he was reliable and didn't let much past him.
White 6.5 As above.
Coker 6.5 Started well and gradually got worse as the game went on, looked like he was missing sharpness and a bit of fitness.
O'Neill 4 Wasted, looked lost in the opposition half. Put some decent deliveries in the box late on but offered absolutely nothing up to that.
Leonard 6 Not his usual self, stray passes, pulled out of position, missing when needed to protect the defence too often.
King 6.5 All the right ideas but not the execution. Seemed like he was shackled in a deeper role than he would prefer.
McLaughlin 7 MOTM Got at them, didn't stop chasing, our biggest threat.
Mooney 5 Fall over, fall over, fall over. If he ever tried to beat his man to the ball it could have been 4-0.
Cox 7 Worked his socks off and was exhausted by the end, lacks quality around him to shine.

Subs
Bridge 6.5 Not enough time to influence the result but put himself about.
McGlashan 7 Pace that we desperately needed but as above.
Williams - No time.

Why on earth did we not make a substitution until the last 10/15 minutes?! Playing against a side with a small squad who used up all three subs around the hour mark with the scores level and McGlashan's pace on the bench and we didn't use it. As soon as they equalised, heads dropped and at 2-1 it was game over.

Set pieces again. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas again.!Brown/Coughlan have a hell of a lot of questions to answer.

Sounds very much like the game I witnessed on Saturday :-(

I didn't go Saturday so I'm awful glad they decided to give me an exact replay of the game!

I'm going to defend Oxley and sat that the defending was so poor that he didn't have much chance at saving especially as JET had all the time in the world to pick his spot!
Cox is a bloody good player but needs someone on the same wave length as him, Ranger or Simpson needed

we are 3/4 players short at this point

Brown needs to be having a good look at himself because that's 9 competitive games without a win now and it doesn't look like getting any better! Players must not like playing under him, Ted was spoken about a lot in the media and he doesn't start! We have a defensive manager who is unable to set a side up to defend at this level!

Absolutely ****ing dreadful

Oxley 5 Not a very good goal keeper

Demetriou 6 Showed Sparks that he good be decent. Needs to stop cutting inside though.Crying out for width

Sokolik 6.5 Very decent. Our best center back

White 5 Not a good right back. Certainly not a centerback. I think his time is up.

Coker 5 I think his time is up. Head turned by reading bids perhaps. No real Quality

O'Neill 4 Not a right winger. Hard to see where he fits into this team

Leonard 5 The worst i have seen him play for us

King 6 showed glimpses. When settled in the area could be a real asset

McLaughlin 6 Good for about 10 minutes in the first half

Mooney 5 Crying out for some confidence

Cox 6 Very Uninspiring

Brown/Coughlan/Shaw/Martin 2 - Have had 3 months to put a squad together and just no good enough

Players lack fitness. Wtf did they do preseason? Gillingham lost their best centre back and best midfielder to injury, and still managed to out play us for the last 30 minutes.

Their first goal was a bit lucky, but after that only one team was going to win.

Can see the season being over by the end of August.

Players lack fitness. Wtf did they do preseason? Gillingham lost their best centre back and best midfielder to injury, and still managed to out play us for the last 30 minutes.

Their first goal was a bit lucky, but after that only one team was going to win.

Can see the season being over by the end of August

They play-offs are at the end of May

I read somewhere that Oxley will cost us a goal a game. Seems to have been correct. I'd rather Ted Smith in goal

Hibs fans spoke of Oxley being a liability on Twitter, Bentley was worth 10-15 points a season, this new guy is just not up to it, time for Smith to be given the chance to step up.

Absolute Groundhog day.

Both times we go 1-0 with the same scorer in the same net, both goals coming courtesy of Nelson's errors.

Both time we end up losing 3-1 with JET just taking us apart.

But the issue isn't just JET; it's the fact that the longer the game went on, the more possession we let Gillingham have.

We had four right backs on the pitch if you count Leonard.

We have played a different central defender pairing and no change.

The manner of the defeat was embarrassing. Gillingham had half a side out and still dealt with us easily.

We now have two tricky away games at Port Vale and Sheff Utd, with new boys Bristol Rovers at home the week after.

We could easily have zero points going into the end of the month.

Did Brown ever sign that new contract? If not, I can see Ron giving him the push and getting someone else in. To not solve a central defensive problem that we have had since Christmas is criminal.

A game of two halves; AND in between were 15 minutes when PB and his team did their management stuff!
First half we were quite good and in control, not man chances but the team knew their roles and worked hard. GC was urging Len and King to get forward, pass forward etc. Mooney made a tackle and wasn't off side - he had his best 45 minutes for a long long time for us.

Intermission talk!

2nd half, midfield disappeared back into a back 8, constantly gave ball away, no one knew who was supposed to do what, shambles!. GC stood motionless.Most of the crowd saw what was happening BUT nothing was heard from the by line, no changes until too late, leaderless cack.

The buck MUST land with PB, clueless.

Say it's only the second game all you want. Fact is, Brown needs to go if we are going to improve. He has lost the dressing room and he's not going to get it back unless he replaces the whole squad. He doesn't know what he's doing and the players don't know what they're doing. If we have to, give it 2 more games. But he won't turn it round with a bunch of players who don't like playing under him. If people couldn't see that tonight then I really don't know what they're watching.

We need fresh ideas, mentality and tactics FAST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Match report: Southend United 1, Gillingham 3

SOUTHEND United suffered their second 3-1 defeat to Gillingham in the space of four days at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

I'm sorry, had enough of the repetitive performances, yes including 15/16, stupid excuses from brown. Some new players in but same old **** on the pitch. Time to go. Not about two games much more than this. If Simpson has witnessed last two games of had representatives at either, seriously worried he will sign.

Same old.

Defense was poor but Sokolik was still better than both Barrett and Thompson.

Midfield was **** poor yet again. Somehow Brown has managed to ruin leonard. Gone are the marauding runs forward and shots at goal. He looks a costume of a man.

McGlashan and mclaughlin don't look like they can put a team to the sword and support or supply the front two.

Cox must be pulling his hair out. Zero movement around him and naff all chances created for him.

Mooney is just mooney. Please get fit soon Nile ranger.

Thought that king did ok but was bossed out of the game at certain times.

Oxley just looks very bog standard. I'd rather see Ted Smith get games.

The management need to have a look at themselves because these performances and the team and tactics are worse than last year.

Gillingham were head and shoulders above us. Passing movement and inventive play. Even when quality left the field they took us apart.

I actually think this current team is poorer than the one that got us out of league 2.

Ive been going to games for more years than I care to remember but can honestly say until tonight I have never left before the end since 2003 (0 -3 against Mansfield.) Tonight was a re run of Saturday Ok for 1st half but as soon as they equalised we were going to lose. Gillingham got stronger and we gave up . We looked 2nd best all around the pitch. No one player can hold there head up tonight it was awful. Its going to be a long painful season unless we get at least 4 or 5 new players our squad is not good enough and our manager has obviously lost the ability to inspire. Brown out I think!

Back