• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Didn't go Saturday, so i can't compare. First half was pretty decent though we didn't create many clear chances, 2nd half Gills came back into it but we created more, Emmanuel-Thomas made a huge difference which was frustrating as you'd think we would have learnt not to give him space. Then we looked bereft of ideas to come back.

Oxley 6 - Difficult to tell, defending certainly didn't help him. Very confident with his feet.
Demetriou 6.5 - Got forward a bit in the 2nd half, showed some promise.
Sokolik 6.5 - Pretty decent until J.E-T. came on, not every striker will be such a beast.
White 6.5 - Same as Sokolik, not commanding enough to be the answer at CB, we need a commanding CB with some pace.
Coker 5 - A shadow of his former self.
Leonard 4 - See Coker.
King 7.5 MOM - Looks excellent, willing to get forward, determined and for an AM can put a tackle in.
O'Neill 5.5 - Provides protection for his full back, but that's about all.
McLaughlin 7 - Was a threat, likes to drift inside but needs to work harder, often left left side exposed.
Mooney 5.5 - He's a trier bless him.
Cox 7 - Looks a cut above, worked v hard, did a lot of good work with his back to goal but feeding off scraps.

subs
Bridge - Looked lively and certainly up to competing for a first team place.
McGlashan - Pace.
Williams - n/a

Chants for Brown to be sacked in the morning during the game help no-one. :thumbdown:

A game of two halves; AND in between were 15 minutes when PB and his team did their management stuff!
First half we were quite good and in control, not man chances but the team knew their roles and worked hard. GC was urging Len and King to get forward, pass forward etc. Mooney made a tackle and wasn't off side - he had his best 45 minutes for a long long time for us.

Intermission talk!

2nd half, midfield disappeared back into a back 8, constantly gave ball away, no one knew who was supposed to do what, shambles!. GC stood motionless.Most of the crowd saw what was happening BUT nothing was heard from the by line, no changes until too late, leaderless cack.

The buck MUST land with PB, clueless.

No we didn't. We created some good chances all at 1-0. Including the one Cox pulled wide, from the same position JET scored for them.

In fact just before they scored Coker had time and space to deliver a cross with plenty of our players forward, only for him to do him to pass out wide to Cox who had 2 players on him, they broke and whip a low hard to defend ball in and its 1-1.

A Gills player feigns injury from a really good Cox tackle and we give it back to their keeper and from his kick they end up 2-1 with an excellent finish by JET.

Then late on McGlashan curls a nice little cross to the back post but somehow Lenny put the header wide. The goal kick ends up at JET's feet and we all knew what was going to happen next.

Frustrating of course, but comments like clueless and gutless are not justified. Its not as if Oxley had kept us in the game, in fact he didn't have much to do. Then again nor did their keeper as we couldn't hit the target. First half 2 free kicks in good positions hit the wall, Cox volley's over the bar and O'Neil heads an excellent Coker cross wide when he should have scored just before the break.

I was impressed with Cox, comes off the back four well and King looked steady in his full debut. In fact it was a shame Sokolik and White done so well against their 6"4 centre forward otherwise he would not have been subbed for the very impressive JET.

Cox won't score whilst he has Mooney as a partner. Mooney is just god damn awful and cannot do the simplest of things. We need some proper service but because of a lack of width nothing happens.

I'm indifferent to Brown but I am bored of his football as it is predictable. We pass it around the back and by the time we get anywhere near the opposition they've closed down any options meaning we have to go central and can't use the wings. We have the players and play much better with quick passing, so try it!

No we didn't. We created some good chances all at 1-0. Including the one Cox pulled wide, from the same position JET scored for them.

In fact just before they scored Coker had time and space to deliver a cross with plenty of our players forward, only for him to do him to pass out wide to Cox who had 2 players on him, they broke and whip a low hard to defend ball in and its 1-1.

A Gills player feigns injury from a really good Cox tackle and we give it back to their keeper and from his kick they end up 2-1 with an excellent finish by JET.

Then late on McGlashan curls a nice little cross to the back post but somehow Lenny put the header wide. The goal kick ends up at JET's feet and we all knew what was going to happen next.

Frustrating of course, but comments like clueless and gutless are not justified. Its not as if Oxley had kept us in the game, in fact he didn't have much to do. Then again nor did their keeper as we couldn't hit the target. First half 2 free kicks in good positions hit the wall, Cox volley's over the bar and O'Neil heads an excellent Coker cross wide when he should have scored just before the break.

I was impressed with Cox, comes off the back four well and King looked steady in his full debut. In fact it was a shame Sokolik and White done so well against their 6"4 centre forward otherwise he would not have been subbed for the very impressive JET.

agree with all of that, and would add that we looked far better today than we did on Saturday. We committed more men forward and we attacked with pace (by our crap standards) , BUT we kept going wide and rarely through the middle. JET destroyed us, but we should AGAIN have been 2-0 up before he had a chance . The most disappointing part of watching was Lenny . Lenny on form could have stood up to JET, he has the speed and power - but tonight he was a shadow of himself. Their second goal tonight was for me the worst of the six. We marked EVERY Gills player except JET , who was stationary. Lenny was marking no one and 5 yards away from JET . 3 seconds later Lenny is still 5 yards away and they have passed to the only free Gills player- JET. 2-1 and game over. FFS take some responsibility.

I don't blame Lenny or the other players- they are clearly lacking confidence. When we used to go 1-0 down under Sturrock the players and the crowd still beleived we would win (and we often did) , under Brown I dont sense that belief.

agree with all of that, and would add that we looked far better today than we did on Saturday. We committed more men forward and we attacked with pace (by our crap standards) , BUT we kept going wide and rarely through the middle. JET destroyed us, but we should AGAIN have been 2-0 up before he had a chance . The most disappointing part of watching was Lenny . Lenny on form could have stood up to JET, he has the speed and power - but tonight he was a shadow of himself. Their second goal tonight was for me the worst of the six. We marked EVERY Gills player except JET , who was stationary. Lenny was marking no one and 5 yards away from JET . 3 seconds later Lenny is still 5 yards away and they have passed to the only free Gills player- JET. 2-1 and game over. FFS take some responsibility.

I don't blame Lenny or the other players- they are clearly lacking confidence. When we used to go 1-0 down under Sturrock the players and the crowd still beleived we would win (and we often did) , under Brown I dont sense that belief.

but this is a carry on from last season, that's where the problem lies, some new players, but same management, same problems

Having not long got home I going straight to bed to fantasize about what might have been had we picked up JET upfront with Cox. Just maybe Ranger will fit the bill?
Its very early days, It wouldnt surprise me we beat Port Vale. King looked useful, Bridge excellent cameo. Sokolik two great late tackles , gaining confidence? Cox is going to cause loads of problems, Demetriou highly skilful, It will all come together soon
Although I still think Barratt and Thompson would be stronger at the moment until we get a quality centre Back Top 10 finish still for me!!

Looks like Oxley should have done better with all three goals last night. The guy just doesn't look like a goalkeeper. He's always flat footed, and his positioning is very poor. 2 games in and I'm not sure he's been close to making a save yet. I really hope it's just a poor week for him, as otherwise I can see us shipping goals left right and centre with him in goal.

I am going to look for the positives; and in the 1st half there were lots all through the team and with some better finishing maybe we have gone in at the break a couple up. King, Cox, Demetreau, Sokolik all did better than ok.

In the 2nd period, the small time Bridge was given, he more than showed he can more than hold his own with strength and that he is happy in possession. McGlashen looked interested and sharper.

No player (of ours) appears to have picked up an injury, only King got booked.

PB ought to learn a few things from the game;- O'Niell isn't a winger, sort a plan B for the likes of JET (- man marker?), Bridge to get a start.

AND to be fair to TBV they did ok last night, some noise that continued to the final whistle.

Refs, for the 2nd game in a row, were reasonable.

Looks like Oxley should have done better with all three goals last night. The guy just doesn't look like a goalkeeper. He's always flat footed, and his positioning is very poor. 2 games in and I'm not sure he's been close to making a save yet. I really hope it's just a poor week for him, as otherwise I can see us shipping goals left right and centre with him in goal.

He certainly could have saved the second one, and the third one he just went to ground when it was obvious that ET wasn't going to shoot, making it so easy for him. Hopefully he'll start getting his hand to a few of these shots. Quicker reactions would help.

[video]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10530265/southend-1-3-gillingham[/video]

He certainly could have saved the second one, and the third one he just went to ground when it was obvious that ET wasn't going to shoot, making it so easy for him. Hopefully he'll start getting his hand to a few of these shots. Quicker reactions would help.

[video]http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10530265/southend-1-3-gillingham[/video]

Agreed. He also collapsed and turned his back on the first one, something that Bentley would have been all over!

I don't think there is a player in league one that could completely man mark jet.
you dont need to man mark him, just take some responsibility if you see he is free

He destroyed us on Saturday
Did it look as though we had any form of plan to stop him yesterday?

I don't mind if we try something and it doesn't work - fair enough. But there was no plan last night. No one took responsibility, we didn't put two on him as soon as he got the ball , we didn't have one person try and man mark him - we repeated what we did on Saturday and surprise srprise it had the same result. Maybe nome of those things would have worked, but at least we would have tried . Giving the best player on the pitch loads of space isn't my idea of a plan

Just watched the highlights on Sky Sports and looks like we had a couple of good chances to score a second before it was 3-1. Leonard should've buried that header. Oxley could've maybe done better with the second goal and for the third goal JET bullies White and then Oxley commits far too early and makes it easy for him. Need to give him time though.

I think calling for Brown to be sacked after two games - both against one of the better teams in the league - is a bit OTT. We won't be facing strikers of Emmanuel-Thomas's quality every week. Port Vale on Saturday should give us a better indication of where we are.

JET is a failed championship striker....

Brown less than a week ago 'we want to be a championship club' yet can't deal with a 'good L1 striker'

Embarrassing.

Just watched the highlights on Sky Sports and looks like we had a couple of good chances to score a second before it was 3-1. Leonard should've buried that header. Oxley could've maybe done better with the second goal and for the third goal JET bullies White and then Oxley commits far too early and makes it easy for him. Need to give him time though.

I think calling for Brown to be sacked after two games - both against one of the better teams in the league - is a bit OTT. We won't be facing strikers of Emmanuel-Thomas's quality every week. Port Vale on Saturday should give us a better indication of where we are.

The highlights dont show it clearly , but freeze frame when JET picks up the ball for his first goal . We give him so much space, in the lead up to the pass Lenny sees Jet is free (the only unmarked Gills player) and he decides to leave him

You are right we ahd a lot of good chances, and the score could have been very different. But it was the same on Saturday , we could/should ahve been at least 2-0 up and we wernt. We have relied on gaolkeeping error for both our goals . Even if Jet was not playing in either of those games would we have won them? To win we need to score more goals. Lets hope something 'clicks' soon.

then change things or do something else !
our tactics resulted in him scoring twice in less than 30 mins. I can't see how it could have been worse ?

I agree, but also know the fans reaction to playing less than 2 up front or taking away any width.

The highlights dont show it clearly , but freeze frame when JET picks up the ball for his first goal . We give him so much space, in the lead up to the pass Lenny sees Jet is free (the only unmarked Gills player) and he decides to leave him

You are right we ahd a lot of good chances, and the score could have been very different. But it was the same on Saturday , we could/should ahve been at least 2-0 up and we wernt. We have relied on gaolkeeping error for both our goals . Even if Jet was not playing in either of those games would we have won them? To win we need to score more goals. Lets hope something 'clicks' soon.

Yes poor closing down by Lenny, as bad as Thompson on Saturday.

Coker was asleep for the third. Yes it was a good move and JET showed his strength, but Coker could have easily played him off-side. When your a left back marking space you cover your CB's or step up for an easy free kick.

Back