• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-2 Burton Albion

I had a feeling the fans would get behind the players after the Walsall debacle and my goodness, what an atmosphere. The first five minutes were horrible, mind you; Burton were tactically astute, realised instantly that sharp passing from side to side would see us outnumbered in wide positions as their full-backs bombed on and we were all over the place. They should have taken advantage of that and god knows how their striker headed over from about a yard out.

Then we got to grips with it by pushing our wing-backs on to their full-backs - a very risky tactic as if the opposition break through that press the left or right-sided centre back has to come across, potentially leaving gaps in behind - but it seemed to work.

Mantom seemed to play with a lot more freedom and busted a gut to get into the box to get on the end of what was a perfect cross by Cox. We admittedly got away with one when their hapless striker was played in, only for his honesty to get the better of him as didn't go down despite a desperate lunge appearing to make contact, even if only slightly. Oxley and Elvis between them cleared the danger.

A perfect start to the second half with Bunn's tap-in and we looked comfortable but a simple cross to the far post wasn't dealt with and a neatly cushioned finished got them back into the game. Nevertheless we were calm and Hyam was desperately unlucky not to make it 3-1 with the fierce drive that Bywater somehow got to; an incredible save.

I wondered whether it could have been a turning point but thankfully Dieng's fantastic header gave us some breathing space, only for another really soft goal to make it a horrible last 10 minutes or so. Kites could have eased that on a rare counter but was either too greedy or didn't spot Mantom making another lung-bursting run for what would have been another tap-in.

What a result and what fantastic commitment when so many players were running on empty at the end. At least five players threw themselves to the ground with exhaustion on the whistle and I felt like doing it as well.

No individual ratings as everyone put in a wonderful shift although Elvis deserves a mention for possibly his best performance in a Blues shirt. You could tell he was affected by his miss at Walsall but in the best way possible. Mantom was also fantastic; I'm delighted for him bearing in mind the stick he's taken on here and at the ground.

We need to keep our feet on the ground, though. This win has given us a great chance of survival but we need to build on it and give it everything in the final two games.

I had a feeling the fans would get behind the players after the Walsall debacle and my goodness, what an atmosphere. The first five minutes were horrible, mind you; Burton were tactically astute, realised instantly that sharp passing from side to side would see us outnumbered in wide positions as their full-backs bombed on and we were all over the place. They should have taken advantage of that and god knows how their striker headed over from about a yard out.

Then we got to grips with it by pushing our wing-backs on to their full-backs - a very risky tactic as if the opposition break through that press the left or right-sided centre back has to come across, potentially leaving gaps in behind - but it seemed to work.

Mantom seemed to play with a lot more freedom and busted a gut to get into the box to get on the end of what was a perfect cross by Cox. We admittedly got away with one when their hapless striker was played in, only for his honesty to get the better of him as didn't go down despite a desperate lunge appearing to make contact, even if only slightly. Oxley and Elvis between them cleared the danger.

A perfect start to the second half with Bunn's tap-in and we looked comfortable but a simple cross to the far post wasn't dealt with and a neatly cushioned finished got them back into the game. Nevertheless we were calm and Hyam was desperately unlucky not to make it 3-1 with the fierce drive that Bywater somehow got to; an incredible save.

I wondered whether it could have been a turning point but thankfully Dieng's fantastic header gave us some breathing space, only for another really soft goal to make it a horrible last 10 minutes or so. Kites could have eased that on a rare counter but was either too greedy or didn't spot Mantom making another lung-bursting run for what would have been another tap-in.

What a result and what fantastic commitment when so many players were running on empty at the end. At least five players threw themselves to the ground with exhaustion on the whistle and I felt like doing it as well.

No individual ratings as everyone put in a wonderful shift although Elvis deserves a mention for possibly his best performance in a Blues shirt. You could tell he was affected by his miss at Walsall but in the best way possible. Mantom was also fantastic; I'm delighted for him bearing in mind the stick he's taken on here and at the ground.

We need to keep our feet on the ground, though. This win has given us a great chance of survival but we need to build on it and give it everything in the final two games.

It looks like Kevin Bond knows how to get the best out of Sam Mantom - a player who could be one of the best midfielders in League 1.

My IFollow feed was erratic again so there was much of the game that I did not see so I do not feel qualified to give ratings.
First of all I feel our Manager has to be commended for his timely and astute substitutions. Their contribution was very likely the difference between three points or one or less. When was the last time our bench were able to exert such an influence on a game? It was a game that we just could not afford to lose I do believe than in addition to the tremendous crowd support and the effort of the players KB's game management was crucial to our success. Interestingly, I suspect many on this site would have disagreed with at least two of the substitutes but yet they were the ones who combined for the much needed third goal.
For me one of the most depressing facets of our awful run of sixteen games without a win was the disintegration of our midfield. They were ineffective, and, at times clueless. There seemed to be no shape to our formation and they were often too deep and were thus unable to provide the link between our forwards and defenders. As we went on longer without a win I thought the loss of confidence among our midfielders was palpable. I have never believed that either Mantom or Dieng were bad players but by the time CP was sacked they both seemed to be totally bereft of confidence. It was also obvious that it would be very difficult for Dru to recover his form in that environment.
I know many feel that Kiernan is not a midfielder but since KB has played him in that position we do seem to play a recogniseable shape and ior midfield has gradually functioned better. It was very effective on Saturday. Recently a fellow Zoner made the observation that the origin of Mantom's woes was that he was an attacking midfielder and that he was being played out of position. I thought Saturday's game confirmed this obervation as Sam played much further forward than he has done recently and he had an outstanding game.
KB surely deserves a great deal of credit for the regeneration of our midfield.
My comments on our players:
Oxley: Some good saves but perhaps his most crucial contribution was from the edge of the area with the ball at his feet picking out the run of Cox deep in their half and sending him away to set up Mantom for our first goal. On the debit sideI suspect he may have been disappointed in not stopping their second goal.
Elvis: I have thought a few times this season that he might develop into a good player but on Saturday he was that player. Has he come of age? An eye catching, energetic and influential display which was crucial to our success. Let us see more of this at Rochdale!
White: Committed.
Turner: A month ago I had wrote him off and concluded he nothing left to contribute. I felt there was no longer any point in selecting him. Michael, my apologies. I was wrong. You were good against Wallsall and even better on Saturday. You were a rock and please more of the same in the next two games.
Moore: Looked good when returning to the side against Wallsall and looked even better against Burton. His speed compensates for White and Turner's lack of it. It is hard to see how he could be left out the side in future.
Hart: Another high class performance and he was effective in both attack and defense. As well Elvis played he was as good and this gave us strength on both flanks which helped make our midfield more potent.
Kiernan: Effective, and, as I said already I believe KB using him to anchor the midfield has been crucial to our recent and very necessary improvement in this area.
Yearwood: Worked hard but has not yet developed into the player that last season we hoped he would become. Hopefully, the rebirth of out midfield will give him the opportunity to rediscover his best from.
Mantom: Energetic all action performance which suggested that whoever was wearing the 18 shirt a month ago may have been an imposter. If he was not the best player on the field on Saturday it was because he was just edged out by Cox. Took his goal well, was all over the place and involved in much that was good. After a display like this his confidence will surely be back to normal levels.
Bunn: Worked hard and scored the second goal. Yet another player whose performances have really lifted in the last month.
Cox: Made the first two goals, worked tirelessly and always looked a threat. An excellent outing.
Substitutes:
Hyam: Put in a good shift while on.
Dieng: Hopefully his excellently taken goal will help him regain his confidence. Unlike some I do believe he is not bad player but he did seem to lose his confidence during our awful winless run. He also seemed unsure of exactly what role he was supposed to be playing. On Saturday he was committed purposeful and his goasl was excellent. From the point of view of this game his was an inspired substitution.
Kightly: So far this has been a wretched season for Kightly who has struggled to make any kind of impression. In this game he came on for the last twenty minutes and probably did more good things in that short time than he did the previous last few games he started. If he is able to repeat this kind of performance he could yet make a serious contribution in our fight for survival. His set piece which found Dieng for our third goal and the energy and commitment he displayed in dispossing one of their players before launching a run which ended in a shot which almost scored were highlights for me.
We need more of the same at Rochdale on Saturday.
How about a 1-0 win with Dru scoring his first goal for the Blues?
It won't quite be Ian Benjamin but it will be close!
UTB!

Last edited:
Looks like Bond has worked on set pieces a lot in his short time in charge. First goal came from a route-1 goal kick, Cox drifting wide right to pick up the long ball. The second goal from a decent corner, right after Mantom had hit the first defender with his previous 2, third one from what looked like a well rehearsed free kick, excellent delivery from Kightly -and a lot more work-rate from him for a change when he came on.
Play percentages, win free kicks, corners etc, work on both attacking and defending set pieces, get the basics right, put the tackles in, work, work ,work, things we seemed to lack under Powell. Noticeable how much Bond is coaching them from the touchline as well. Still think we need a win and a draw, but there's at least more confidence now.

Back