• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

That says a lot to me! Don’t think Bond was liked by the players.

I said ages ago that the word coming out is they didn't like Bond. They didn't like him last season. That Sunderland vital win wasn't for him at all. From my memory, I don't think one player hugged him at the final whistle, which is unusual under the circumstances, and backs it up.

I actually thought we showed a bit of character, a bit of fight and a bit of an improvement today. In recent weeks this team would have folded when going a goal down and that would have been the game over but today we’ve come from behind twice to take our first of the season so credit to the players and management team.

I still see massive problems in this team though, ones which the new manage will have to sort out rather quickly. Our inability to defend a set piece has cost us time and time for the best part of a few years now but now to go along with that we seem so easy to just cut through. We are far to static at times, the likes of Blackman who couldn’t mark his own shadow was constantly letting players get in behind him and that’s where the third goal came from. The likes of Hutchinson isn’t good enough yet, far to weak and was caught on the ball to much and Mantom.. that lad couldn’t pass water. I thought Cox was poor today as well.

My last negative point would be the constant use of Goodship outside from now a second manager/coach. Am I missing something? The lad is a goal scorer, did Fleetwood/Leicester stick Jamie Vardy out wide? Did Swindon think getting the best out of Charlie Austin was to play him out of position? We’ve seen what the lad can do when through the middle, why not keep him there.

Enough of the negatives though, I thought Elvis was hugely impressive again today, the lad looks so comfortable in his role and seems to go from strength to strength each game. Macca looked very good after his sweetly struck goal, it’s amazing what a bit of confidence does to a player and Lord Stevie Humphrys who was constantly pulling their defenders about and two very good goals just adds to his already hero status.

At the end of the day, I’m happy with the point. At spells we looked good, at spells they looked good. It’s something to build on.

Still very poor I am afraid. As welcome as a point is, it was very lucky. A new manager is not going to sort this shower of **** squad out quickly.

We had glaring holes in it, that Bond didn’t fix in the summer. Central midfield, and wingers. We haven’t got any.

If Oxley had let in those 3 goals he would be crucified on here.

Positives were Macca, more like the player we had when he joined. Humph, 2 goals and actually looked bothered.

Blackman, looked our best player against Orient reserves. That’s his level. Hutchinson, not ready to start yet, still too lightweight, didn’t track for their third goal.

We need to get the right manager it will be interesting if Ron does appoint the manager if Gary waddock stays on as part of the back room team who knows

Hutchinson didn't close the man down quick enough for their third, just seemed to amble across and make no effort to cut out the cross. who ever was at the back post for their first never even left the ground or attack the threat . Doesn't seem to be any urgency in defending.

"If Oxley had let in those 3 goals he would be crucified on here."

Oxley did let in the 3 goals. You could say he was at fault for the second in particular but where were the defenders?

Agree with previous posters that the midfield is just too lightweight. Mantom and Hamilton too similar. They were slicing through us at will. Not convinced re Lennon either. Thanks God for Humphreys.

Still will take the point - it's something to build on.

I've already done my match report but I forgot to mention Oxley. He made a couple of saves that he had no right to get to, and he came out bravely a few times and he caught a ball into his box whilst surrounded by Fleetwood players, Well done Ox and sorry I forgot to mention you earlier.

It was great to get a point today and Stephen Humphries saved the day again with his bull in a china shop determination. Having Kiernan at CB was a real plus as he does not get bullied and Elvis showed he is becoming a good player at this level. As said by many others, Andre is not up to league one standard and should not be playing however it’s clear that centre midfield is our biggest issue. I am afraid Sam does not strike me as either captain material or a league one ball winner and both him and Ethan were second best to Fleetwood and playing too near our centre halves. I still think Issac has a threat and whilst not brilliant today I think he made a good contribution and is worth persisting with. Unfortunately Cox looks fed up with chasing lost causes and needs someone to pass him a decent ball from midfield to make the best use of his ability.

A point is great but it should not be used to paper over the cracks as Fleetwood should have buried us with the number of chances they had in the second half. Well done to the crowd who I thought stayed behind the team despite some powder puff tackling from our midfield which really needs a rebuild.

I know he is unattached so could it be worth giving Timlin a short term deal, legs might not be what they were but would add experience and bite in our flimsy midfield

I know he is unattached so could it be worth giving Timlin a short term deal, legs might not be what they were but would add experience and bite in our flimsy midfield

Especially now Bond has gone because he didn’t want him.

Oxley yet again has let us down despite making a couple of decent saves. First goal completely refused..... 1-0..........parries another one and they score again. Not up to it and i'd still rather him than Bishop...what a mess in the most important position!

Hutchinson didn't close the man down quick enough for their third, just seemed to amble across and make no effort to cut out the cross. who ever was at the back post for their first never even left the ground or attack the threat . Doesn't seem to be any urgency in defending.

My HP says Kiernan is adamant he was cleverly held down, just as he was about to jump, by the big lump behind him that scored. Will have to look at that when the highlights are on here.

An entertaining game in which we showed plenty of spirit, produced two accurate free kicks and a fine individual goal. Having said that, we cannot go on shipping three goals a game and expect to get out of trouble, and our midfield seems almost non existent. Barton must be ruing his decision to shut up shop, Fleetwood would surely have gone on to win if not for his bizarre substitutions. However, it's a welcome point which hopefully might instil some confidence but these defensive shortcomings need addressing urgently.

We mentioned just before the 3rd goal that Macca and Hutch had switched sides which meant our weaker winger was on the same side as our weakest link - Fleetwood must have been laughing at that point

We got a pretty good forward line Humphries is a class act .We need workers in our team and unfortunately mantom goes through the motions he can do better and all this waving arms around sorry encourage team mates ..Hutchinson only young but good going forward not so good at closing space and working hard .Conceding 3 goals on average every game massive weakness .

I enjoyed it today and the best I have seem them play this season even though Fleetwood should have scored a least two more, a great improvement and hopefully the start of a turnaround. Thought having Goodship out wide and leaving Cox and Humphreys on was a good idea today. My MoM was Bwomono, hardly put a foot wrong all afternoon especially the inch perfect pass into the right corner for Cox to chase in the first half. The team deserved the standing ovation at the end even though there is still a lot to do, I'm optimistic. Hope Waddock is given a bit more time even if it is only on today's performance.

My HP says Kiernan is adamant he was cleverly held down, just as he was about to jump, by the big lump behind him that scored. Will have to look at that when the highlights are on here.

Just seen it and two players are all over him!

Back