• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-2 Boreham Wood

1st half more direct ,fast paced and using the right side of the pitch with Gus whipping in some great balls instead of the left side only play of late......2nd half back to crab ball with all the players in the box defending corners.
Anyway a win but the two last draws if they had been turned into a win would have had us in with a fighting chance of the play offs

Waldron's best game in a Blue shirt, Morton like a Rolls Royce in midfield.

Who said him and Miley can't play in the same team?!

I thought Harry grafted well up front. Jack seemed to drift into the middle more than I've seen him before.

The two goals we gave away were sloppy and Kensdale takes the miss of the day prize.

Dackers should have lashed his chance like he did when he scored against Aldershot, but tried to beat the keeper at the near post and was too precise.

Great tackle from Miley in the first half, which was the end of Whelan for them.

I enjoyed the game and thought on the whole we used the ball well.

The assistant on the East stand side was appalling and missed so much.

Still enjoyed the day and I hope Oldham keep slipping up next season as they have this one.

Again I'm in the Waldron MoTM club, really effective performance. Get a pre-season under his belt and hopefully he will be one to watch next season.

Last edited:
TBF to the NL that's only the 3rd time this season that I'v been affected by blackouts.All 3 games were at Roots Hall and I was offered a full refund for the firsr 2 games.
And the problem is I suspect in the end it’s oor own club who suffer by not getting the revenue- what it’s not is a refund out of the providers pocket with the payout to the club unaffected…regrettably…

And the problem is I suspect in the end it’s oor own club who suffer by not getting the revenue- what it’s not is a refund out of the providers pocket with the payout to the club unaffected…regrettably…
Even so, it's NL revenue for old rope.
All their techies have to do is plug into the live feed from wherever and sync the local commentary.
Would love to know their cut remembering their were 36 sets of supporters unable/unwilling to see their team live today.

Great win, and feels nice to put them to the sword.

First half was superb. We were on the front foot and moved the ball at pace through the lines. They tried to high press us but, unlike some recent games, we generally played through it.

Second half not quite as good, and a sloppy first 10 mins had me feeling like we were going to chuck it away after their fortuitous double-deflected goal, but we regained pur composure and control eventually and then never really looked like giving up the lead. We could and should have had a couple more.

Thought Bridge had a good game. We weren't quite so reliant on him today, so when the ball did go out there, he seemed to have a bit more space and even cut inside and across the front of the penalty area a few times, which he hasn't done anywhere near as much lately. 3rd place in my MOM ranking.

Thought Cav and Morton were a real engine room and played well together, with Morton often further forward (see his goal). Morton in particular had his best game for us yet, and played some lovely passes, one or two of which switched play beautifully. His vision is a cut above this level, imo. 2nd place in my MOM ranking.

Waldron and Cardwell finally looked like they had the beginnings of a partnership today, playing closer together, occasionally switching, and reading each other's headed flick-ons really well. Waldron in particular was superb, especially in the first half, chasing down and running after everything, winning everything in the air, holding the ball up and running the channels brilliantly. Two brilliant bits of play by him with the run down the left and pull-back, and then chasing down Ashmore to nick the ball away from him and then put in a peach of a cross for Morton. I do wish we would spot and pick out his runs off the shoulder of the last defender in the middle a bit more, and the one time somebody did (Coker), Waldron won a penalty. All round excellent performance and my MOM.

6 points off the playoffs with 3 games left. It remains improbable but not impossible, so I'll keep dreaming until the dream is dead.

Collin 7
Taylor 7
Kensdale 7
Ralph 7
Scott-Morriss 7
Bridge 8
Miley 7
Morton 8
Coker 7
Waldron 9
Cardwell 8

Subs:
Fonguck 6
Dackers 6
Woodman -

Was in a box again today. First time was Dorking, we kicked towards the South stand first half and Gus scored the first goal. Sane again today, maybe we need to kick that way first half next season.

You can only beat what’s in front of you and that what we did. One of our best first halves this season. I mentioned on SM that I wanted to see changes and in partivcular Waldron and Morton and both rewarded us with their best games for the club. I was disappointed to see DW go off as felt Cardwell should have given way today but nonetheless Danny showed everyone what he is about today. Pace, movement and although he didn’t score he was involved in three of the goals. Clear MOM for us in Box18.

Morton also was excellent, sat in front of the back three allowing Miley a bit more freedom. Morton is so calm on the ball and has a lovely touch and range of passing. One piece of skill fist half was sublime and only a bad touch by Coker prevented him from a chance and a Morton assist. Of course Morton scored from a Waldron cross, so a good day for those two.

Defence was solid first half although a bit guilty of over playing and will be disappointed to concede the second half goals but mostly good. Colin solid again and no chance with the goals and made a couple of very god saves.

Bridge and GSM both got on the score sheet and worked the channels well, we seemed to go down both sides more than normal which was refreshing. Cardwell worked hard but didn’t have any chances of note that I remember.

Sounds like Husin is done for the season now and Crowther missed out with a calf injury. Would like to see the starting 11 from today start at least at Wealdstone

Really feel for Wood, clearly there is something going on that we aren’t aware of as the lad gets no game time at all. Today second half he could have given time on the grass.

So a good afternoon and another crowd over 6800, great effort by the fans. See you all at Wealdstone

I've seen enough of Dackers now to think he's definitely worth keeping next season, he's still fairly young and brings something different to the table.

Good game, very enjoyable to watch first half, like the handbrake had been allowed down. Everyone had a very good game but as others have mentioned, Waldron looked a menace all day, blinding pace and some decent strength alongside his assists. I don't think we need more than 1-3 players tops in the summer IF we keep all this team.

I think it will be a stroke of luck if we see Collin, Kensdale, Bridge or Coker next year - they will definitely have those above sniffing, it works in our favour that almost every team other than Wrexham up to the Championshjp done have a pot to P in financially

Great performance and result in front of a decent crowd.Pity that Wood couldn't get on but other than that no complaints keeping the run going

Think should stick with Jack until misses.
Was Waldron on pens at his previous club?
Not a clue mate, my question was based on sentimentality. As Waldron had been pretty damn good up to that point, and as he had won the penalty, because I'm an old softie I would have let him take it.

1st half more direct ,fast paced and using the right side of the pitch with Gus whipping in some great balls instead of the left side only play of late......2nd half back to crab ball with all the players in the box defending corners.
Anyway a win but the two last draws if they had been turned into a win would have had us in with a fighting chance of the play offs
Crab ball…ie possession football designed to move the opposition around ,frustrate their attacking intent when building a head of steam and dictating the rhythm of play while still creating chances

Not a clue mate, my question was based on sentimentality. As Waldron had been pretty damn good up to that point, and as he had won the penalty, because I'm an old softie I would have let him take it.
What if he had missed and then at 3-2 it’s a different game. Got to go with regular taker and from memory Bridge is pretty proficient and struck this one well.

Have to agree he was very good today. Best I've seen him.
I think his running style is misleading. Sometimes looked laboured but I think it's just his style. He really did well on both wings today.
How are you feeling ? On the mend?

Reactions: RHB
Thought Waldron was immense first half and like others have said Morton had a great game as well.

Controversy Alert:
Was our penalty a penalty? Personally though it was a little soft and as I thought Danny was going away from goal I drifted my gaze to others to watch their movement.

What if he had missed and then at 3-2 it’s a different game. Got to go with regular taker and from memory Bridge is pretty proficient and struck this one well.
Yep. Also the two times in the last three seasons where players were arguing over who should take the penalty(I think the last one may have been Powelly, because he earnt the penalty) They missed the penalty. So Kev has made it clear that if he's on the pitch, Bridgey will take the penalty. That's why he goes straight to the penalty spot, and no one argues with him.

Back