• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-2 Boreham Wood

I got beguiled by a 3-0 lead that looked as if it could go on to be six.
Reckon that B Wood goal straight after the break made it a bit of a slug fest.
Remember, they won the second half 2-1.
We did a good job for all that on the poorest BW side I can remember.
Thought Morton had his best game yet; think Ralph has to be player-of-the-season even though he missed nearly two months in Sept/Oct.
Waldron looks as if he could be big for us next campaign.
Coker instead of Wood? Kev knows more than I do. If there was one player who was never on it, it was the former.
Oli C was disappointing today I thought but was happy we beat that lot!
Waldron, Miley, Taylor and Ralph were decent. Great goal again from GSM

Think that’s now 13 of 14 for him.

If you want to feel old he wasn’t even alive when we had that record breaking run of misses in the early 90s.
That crazy run in the early nineties was something else! I used to dread it every time we were awarded a spot kick as you knew what was coming! I think it was something like 7 successive misses....then Dean Austin scored one but missed his next one to make it 8 misses out of 9!

Waldron s best game for us by a mile, Morton has quality in abundance, one ball in the 1st half out to the right wing, after he had just side stepped one of them, was superb !

Can’t wait for next season.

Last edited:
Waldron my man of the match. Had his best game for the club. Didn’t score but made three of the goals. He benefitted from being a bit fresher but he also looked a bit stronger and faster than when he first signed. Like Dackers that’s a promising sign. It’s been a while since we actually improved players but Maher and co have managed it with several of the current side (Andeng Ndi, Kensdale, Cardwell etc are all much better players than when signed).

We got off to a fast start that was reminiscent of the Bond era but this time we were the ones dishing it out. Waldron did superbly in the touchline near the half way line and raced through, he tried to cut the ball back to Cardwell who couldn’t get there but Gus could for his 7th of the season.

Minutes later he was doing it down the other touchline, this time beating Ashmore to the ball (would people still prefer him to Collin?) and then floating over a cross for Morton to head home.

Bridge then made it three nil with our third goal in fifteen minutes, like Gus crashing home. At that point Borehamwood fans started leaving the stadium. I couldn’t really blame them. We’ve been there and it’s not easy seeing a team in the relegation zone fall behind 3-0.

At this point Borehamwood tried to take the sting out of it with a couple of stoppages for injuries. Old habits die hard.

Second half they started brightly and got one back but Waldron helped restore the three goal cushion winning a penalty after he was sandwiched following a Coker through ball. Bridge finished emphatically into the roof of the net: Ashmore’s save of his penalty last season cost us a playoff spot so this was a form of redemption. Borehamwood responded almost immediately with a header from a corner to reduce it to 4-2 but this one was never really in doubt despite some erratic refereeing.

After the Oxford game I said that was the type of performance you get at the start of 14 match unbeaten runs. I’m pleased that turned out to be prophetic. At the time people were worrying about relegation but we’re now just six points off the play-offs.

The margins between success and failure are quite narrow. A few more points here and there and we would against all odds be looking at a playoff place despite a 10 point deduction and despite having started the season under a 6 month long embargo that took half a season to clear.

I think above all what we struggled with - and what I think a fair few of the teams who will go down have also struggled with - is depth. That should be fixable if the sale goes through….
Its so tight, probably as few as another 4 goals at this point would have done it!

The team has been consistent in very difficult circumstances and Maher & Co have been tremendous.

I’ve rated their keeper Ashmore in previous seasons but today he looked overweight and was badly at fault for one of our goals. It illustrates to me how good Collin is at this level, I haven’t seen a better goalkeeper than him in this league all season.
He was poor in one of the previous BW games at the Hall - sort of palmed it through his legs - here on 8 secs

it was handball - their no 12 slid in to block the shot and basically caught the ball
That's what I thought the pen was given for, but perhaps ref had seen enough infringements to confidently give it.
BW had a penalty shout that got there fans agitated interested to see both decisions on highlights

Its so tight, probably as few as another 4 goals at this point would have done it!

The team has been consistent in very difficult circumstances and Maher & Co have been tremendous.
Had we conceded one less goal we could have been three points behind Aldershot with three to play.

Had we also not conceded to 10 man Halifax back in the start of September we’d have them been one point behind Aldershot and two ahead of Halifax.

Such fine margins.

Harry Taylor makes such a difference. A couple of perfectly timed tackles today, but when we play out from the back it's like having an extra player. His positioning is spot on, either drifting out wide right and allowing GSM to play higher up or giving Ollie K the option of carrying the ball forward. POTY for me.

I thought Dackers was excellent when he came on. For a big man he has great control with his feet and held the ball up well to bring others into the game. He's improving every match.
He did look good. Could also be the fact that Kev is rotating them, so that they're fresh when they come on. Waldron started today and no doubt Dackers will in the next game

Harry Taylor makes such a difference. A couple of perfectly timed tackles today, but when we play out from the back it's like having an extra player. His positioning is spot on, either drifting out wide right and allowing GSM to play higher up or giving Ollie K the option of carrying the ball forward. POTY for me.
Yep. He did well. Great positioning and intelligent play. If we can keep this squad together they'll be really good competition for places

in a way glad Boreham Wood got the first goal after half-time as it made a game of it.

Actually, I thought we s scored against the run of play with the first 7 minutes all Wood.

Once the lively Waldron made the first it was most unlike Southend to be 3-0 up within 20 odd minutes.

I missed the first 10/12 minutes of the second half (thanks NLTV) but that may have been a blessing. Returned in time to see the penalty (thought it looked soft) and their second goal, free header from a corner. Before that thought that Miley was fortunate to escape a second yellow. Tough to choose between Waldron or Morton for mom, the former had outstanding 1st half faddd a bit before going off, Morton followed up his good performance at Ebbsfleet and good for the midfielder to score with his head, he reads the game well.

Also shout out to GSM, how many goals is that now, 7?

At 4-2 I thought that there were more goals, but alas Kensdale missed the best chance and on another day Cards, Dackers and Coker could have added to our total.

Although a big advocate for the inclusion of Jack Wood, I thought that Kev got the subs more or less spot on this afternoon.
Couldn't really see the point of bringing Wes on as we all know his strengths and weaknesses tbh that for me should have been Wood for a 15 -20 minute run out , also Dackers for Cards not Waldron. as Dackers reinvigorated the attack ideal for Waldron imo

Should JB have allowed Waldron to take the penalty, or should we stick with our regular pen taker?
Why on earth would you change a designated penalty taker? I don't care who is playing well or poorly, the regular penalty taker practices for that and it would be mad for any team to suddenly change that in the middle of a match.

JB is our penalty taker and he's pretty reliable and good at it, as he demonstrated this afternoon so unless 👑 Kev decides otherwise there's no conversation to be had.

What a fantastic 1st half, great to finally put Boring in their place and so good to see DW getting up to speed and settling in 😊 he will be immense next season.

UTB 💙

Last edited:
He did look good. Could also be the fact that Kev is rotating them, so that they're fresh when they come on. Waldron started today and no doubt Dackers will in the next game
Whilst that has been true in recent weeks we don’t play for 8 days so this might be one of the more interesting selections.

Think that’s now 13 of 14 for him.

If you want to feel old he wasn’t even alive when we had that record breaking run of misses in the early 90s.
13 out of 14 is excellent

I remember those penalty misses in the 90’s…working our way through the team and ending up with Dean Austin scoring!

Back