• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-2 Boreham Wood

Those who commented on Wood's unnecessary and unhelpful kit change might be pleased to know they were highlighted as a case of Kit Karma......Kit Crimes
I think calling that kit "grey" is pushing it a bit.
It rather reminded me of the colour of the sludge that builds up in washing machine pipes.

It rather reminded me of the colour of the sludge that builds up in washing machine pipes.
As with most teams, they have a home and away kit. Boreham Wood away is all black, even more of a clash, so they reverted to their third kit. But still would have not clashed as much if they had worn their home white shorts.

As with most teams, they have a home and away kit. Boreham Wood away is all black, even more of a clash, so they reverted to their third kit. But still would have not clashed as much if they had worn their home white shorts.
I think the point is, there was absolutely no need for them to change other than maybe their socks. It can (and should) be done!

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 13.10.56.png

Following on from @OldBlueLady , where Kay mentioned how positive Danny and James Morton were when she spoke to them...

I caught up with Adam Crowther pitchside pre match, thanks to Crowny and boy he is such a positive individual. Sadly that's where l found out he was injured, but everything else he talked about the club, squad and being here was so positive.

He ought to be included in the discussions with potential signings in the summer, he sold the club so well. Also said his Dad loves looking on here. (Hi Mr Crowther!)

Obviously, like any player, he wants to play at the highest level, but if we do well as a club then the longer we will be lucky enough to see him in Blue.

What he said about being here, the squad, fans and ambition for us and him made me proud to be a Shrimper.

Brilliant bloke for SZ to be sponsoring. If Kev and co.are generating feelings like this across the squad, the next few seasons are going to be so positive.

UTB

The Home and Away kit philosophy is very sad really. Gone are the days of the change kit when there is a colour clash.

Watching our yellow away kit against Ebbsfleet bright red was quite nauseous. There was absolutely no need ( other than possibly contractual with the kit supplier) to change from our Blue.

To me watching two teams play against each other wearing their proper colours has always been a big part of the football experience.

At least Arsenal managed to do it at Man City.

Following on from @OldBlueLady , where Kay mentioned how positive Danny and James Morton were when she spoke to them...

I caught up with Adam Crowther pitchside pre match, thanks to Crowny and boy he is such a positive individual. Sadly that's where l found out he was injured, but everything else he talked about the club, squad and being here was so positive.

He ought to be included in the discussions with potential signings in the summer, he sold the club so well. Also said his Dad loves looking on here. (Hi Mr Crowther!)

Obviously, like any player, he wants to play at the highest level, but if we do well as a club then the longer we will be lucky enough to see him in Blue.

What he said about being here, the squad, fans and ambition for us and him made me proud to be a Shrimper.

Brilliant bloke for SZ to be sponsoring. If Kev and co.are generating feelings like this across the squad, the next few seasons are going to be so positive.

UTB
Yeah, we spoke to him too, he was great with our flag bearers! Seems to be a great member of the squad too.20240401_143025.jpg

Their kit is close to the very unattractive underpant grey colour that many car manufacturers seem to be peddling at the moment as the paint colour of choice for their new cars. For Boring wood, maybe it is an exterior representaton of their dull, unatractive and not very nice brand of football!

Their manager got the boot today after telling them a month or two ago he'd be leaving at the end of the season. Accelerated their poor results !

The Home and Away kit philosophy is very sad really. Gone are the days of the change kit when there is a colour clash.

Watching our yellow away kit against Ebbsfleet bright red was quite nauseous. There was absolutely no need ( other than possibly contractual with the kit supplier) to change from our Blue.

To me watching two teams play against each other wearing their proper colours has always been a big part of the football experience.

At least Arsenal managed to do it at Man City.
Agree. However, I think Ebbsfleet played with white socks so there was a clash - the socks need to be different colours for the benefit of the referee’s assistant. The obvious solution would of course have been for us to play in all blue as we have done in the past in these situations. That said, I believe at this level refs aren’t keen on us playing in all navy because they wear black. I think last season we were planning to play in all navy but we were forced into playing with white socks for that reason.

BW should have played in white and just changed their socks to black or grey. It was genuinely tough to watch on TV.

Agree. However, I think Ebbsfleet played with white socks so there was a clash - the socks need to be different colours for the benefit of the referee’s assistant. The obvious solution would of course have been for us to play in all blue as we have done in the past in these situations. That said, I believe at this level refs aren’t keen on us playing in all navy because they wear black. I think last season we were planning to play in all navy but we were forced into playing with white socks for that reason.

BW should have played in white and just changed their socks to black or grey. It was genuinely tough to watch on TV.
It was tough to watch live too. There were momentary instances when I wasn't sure whether a player was ours or theres! Just for a split second here and there but I was conscious of it. I'm sure it must occasionally affect the players too as passing decisions are made in a split second sometimes.

It was tough to watch live too. There were momentary instances when I wasn't sure whether a player was ours or theres! Just for a split second here and there but I was conscious of it. I'm sure it must occasionally affect the players too as passing decisions are made in a split second sometimes.

Not helped after the rain made their grey even darker. Not sure how many Bore Wood away shirts were sold this season but I doubt a pointless and potential game spoiling colour clash in April will have added single sale this season or next.

Well, that was rather fun wasn't it? We brought some of the grandsons along for the first time and they thoroughly enjoyed it. The oldest one (wise beyond his 10 years) was explaining to people bemoaning the backward passing why they were doing it.

Had a chat with Danny Waldron in the car park, delighted that he has so obviously been working hard in training, one of the best 45 minutes I've seen by an individual in a long, long time. Morton also stepped up massively and the two newbies treated us to a showcase of just why they've been brought to the club. Already quite excited for the prospect of next season.

The only downside yesterday was conceding the two goals! Not conceded two since Chesterfield back in January (3). View was a bit obscured for the first so would like to know if there was a deflection? Did have a kind of feeling we should have done better with them. I didn't feel the defence was quite as assured as normal, don't know if that was because the Boreham Wood attackers were more physical or the weather or what, but it did look a bit nervy at times.

On the whole, I didn't Boreham were as "Boreham" as they usually are, certainly the first 10 minutes, they threw everything at us and it looked as if we were going to have a genuine football match between two teams rather than the usual anti football spoiler game. And then, we got 3 goals in the space of 20 minutes or so - good to see different scorers, and great to see Waldron getting assists for two of them.

Gussy and Cav were both back to their best form, though I honestly thought Wes was going to replace Cav who seemed to be walking a tightrope with a red card looming. Cardwell also had a really good game, creating space and he and Waldron working far better together with flick ons. Bridge had a freer game than usual, seemed to be exploiting other areas of the pitch to his normal left wing and that allowed others to move about also. It was honestly a joy to watch them all yesterday.

More than happy to have Dackers sign a contract for next season, think he's something different to the others and he continued to show versatility and skill on the floor.

All in all, a very good day at the office.

Collin - 7
Gus - 8
Taylor - 7
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 8
Miley - 8
Morton - 8
Coker - 7
Waldron - 9, MOTM
Cardwell - 8

Subs:
Fonguck for Coker - 7
Dackers for Waldron - 8
Woodman for Bridge - n/a
1st goal took a big deflection. Collin had very little chance of stopping it.

Back