• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United have now had more than 60 applicants to be manager and Ron Martin says next boss will be free to make signings

What an achiever. "he has kept us going".

No wonder we are so easily pleased. The man couldn't run a bloody bath

And back to back promotions.

Oh and wembly twice.

Oh and millennium stadium twice.

Oh and that night against man United.

And that afternoon at Stamford Bridge.

I don't think supporting a small lower leauge team is for you.

With this adjournment does this mean that Ron has shown the taxman that he will pay up in sept and everything will be hunky dory................or am i being over optomistic?

I’m under the impression that was the reason for adjournment in April, which lead to today’s hearing.

If he has used the same excuse today, I wonder what will stop him using that excuse in September?

What an achiever. "he has kept us going".

No wonder we are so easily pleased. The man couldn't run a bloody bath
He's ran a regional football club pretty damn well for 20 years? Never in administration, decent players signed on good wages, a youth system financed even through difficult times which has created some really exciting players.

Yeah there's been scares along the way but that's the nature of the football business at this level. Personally I don't care about his motives, he's been a huge part of keeping Southend United in league football over 20 years where loads of big name teams have sunk to non-league obscurity. What more do you actually want?

Oh and wembly twice.

Harsh.

For all those good times, he still runs the club at a loss of £2m per year. That’s just mismanagement on a negligent scale.

Credit where credit is due, (and Ron does deserve that credit at times), but he’s not blameless.

Harsh.

For all those good times, he still runs the club at a loss of £2m per year. That’s just mismanagement on a negligent scale.

Credit where credit is due, (and Ron does deserve that credit at times), but he’s not blameless.

And yet here we are. Still in business. Weird eh?

Which clubs below Premier League level run at a profit?

Without access to the finances, I couldn’t possibly say aside from guesswork. But I’d assume there are several.

But that’s neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. If we went out of business, the excuse that we weren’t the only ones living beyond our means, simply won’t cut it.

Which clubs below Premier League level run at a profit?
Without access to the finances, I couldn’t possibly say aside from guesswork. But I’d assume there are several.

But that’s neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. If we went out of business, the excuse that we weren’t the only ones living beyond our means, simply won’t cut it.

A quick google. From the times 17/18 season

The Times has today published the profit and loss statistics for all 92 League clubs. Figures are based on 2017-18.

Premier League teams had record revenues of £8.4 billion and 12 of the 20 top-flight clubs made a net profit in 2017-18.

By contrast, 52 of the 72 clubs in the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two ended the season in the red.
Taking into account all profits and losses, the 20 Premier League clubs made a surplus of £304 million while the 72 EFL teams had a collective net deficit of £388 million.

2017-18 Net profit and loss
1 Tottenham £113m
2 Liverpool £106m
3 Chelsea £62m
4 Arsenal £57m
5 Burnley £37m
6 Southampton £29m
7 Newcastle £19m
8 Hull £19m
9 West Ham £17m
10 Norwich £15m
11 Barnsley £13m
12 Huddersfield £11m
13 Brighton £11m
14 Manchester City £10m
15 Exeter £2.4m
16 Leicester £1m
17 Preston £1m
18 Port Vale £1m
19 Stevenage £0.8m
20 Luton £0.6m
21 Peterborough £0.5m
22 Forest Green £0.4
23 Accrington £0.4m
24 Fleetwood £0.4m
25 Burton £0.3m
26 Shrewsbury £0.3m
27 Gillingham £0.1m
28 Plymouth £0.1m
29 Newport £0.1m
30 Yeovil £0.1m
31 Walsall no profit/loss
32 Barnet no profit/loss
33 Grimsby -£0.04m
34 Cheltenham -£0.1m
35 Carlisle -£0.1m
36 Mansfield -£0.1m
37 Bradford -£0.3m
38 Rochdale -£0.3m
39 Crawley -£0.3m
40 Morecambe -£0.4m
41 Oldham -£0.5m
42 Rotherham -£0.5m
43 Wimbledon -£0.5m
44 Wycombe -£0.7m
45 Crewe -£0.8m
46 Cambridge -£0.8m
47 Chesterfield -£1.1m
48 Lincoln -£1.1m
49 Derby -£1.1m
50 Portsmouth -£1.4m
51 Notts County -£1.5m
52 Swindon -£1.8m
53 Sheffield Utd -£1.9m
54 Northampton -£2m
55 Oxford -£2m
56 Blackpool -£2.1m
57 Coventry -£2.5m
58 Doncaster -£2.8m
59 Bury -£2.8m
60 Swansea -£3m
61 Southend -£3.1m
62 Colchester -£3m
63 Bristol Rovers -£3m
64 Scunthorpe -£3.6m
65 Brentford -£3.9m
66 Leeds -£4.3m
67 MK Dons -£4.6m
68 Millwall -£4.6m
69 Ipswich -£5.2m
70 Bolton -£5.4m
71 Nottingham Forest -£5.6m
72 West Brom -£6m
73 Middlesbrough -£6.6m
74 Wigan -£7.7m
75 Sunderland -£10.2m
76 Charlton -£10.4m
77 Bournemouth -£11m
78 Everton -£13m
79 Blackburn -£16.8m
80 Reading -£21m
81 Sheffield Wed -£21m
82 Bristol City -£25m
83 Watford -£31m
84 Stoke -£32m
85 Aston Villa -£35m
86 Cardiff -£36m
87 Crystal Palace -£36m
88 Manchester Utd -£37m
89 Birmingham -£37m
90 QPR -£38m
91 Fulham -£45m
92 Wolves -£57m

No statement from Ron fans are saying there’s too much silence we need to be kept updated.

Ron comes out and speaks, fans say sorry Ron I don’t believe you.

I know people have their opinions of Ron and we’re in a very precarious position however sometimes he really can’t win
I want Ron to keep us informed more than he does but what has happened in the past few months has been shambolic and too make matters worse he has out of desperation made promises he clearly had no way of fulfilling..He is clearly in the last chance saloon financially and if FF doesn't come off our club will be dead.....

Oh and wembly twice.

The alternate version of that is that he only got Tilly by blind luck. Only gave him the role because he needed a temporary manager. By and large his record with permanent appointments is abysmal.

We have nearly gone out of business several times. Have failed to pay our own staff several times. Have failed to pay the tax man and still haven't god knows how many times.

Failed to pay local business, causing hardship and people won't deal with him.

Despite being a property developer, he has failed to build the project over in over 20 years.

Has let roots Hall essentially fall into rack and ruin.

Constantly lies to the fans or tells warped version of the truth.

He has barely kept us aflaot and has provided very little in the last 10 years.

Why is it a chairman in charge of a club with gates of 6-7k is constantly in financial trouble when other chairman have clubs on half those gates and manage comfortably. It's simple. Ron hasn't got a clue.

The alternate version of that is that he only got Tilly by blind luck. Only gave him the role because he needed a temporary manager. By and large his record with permanent appointments is abysmal.

We have nearly gone out of business several times. Have failed to pay our own staff several times. Have failed to pay the tax man and still haven't god knows how many times.

Despite being a property developer, he has failed to build the project over in over 20 years.

Why is it a chairman in charge of a club with gates of 6-7k is constantly in financial trouble when other chairman have clubs on half those gates and manage comfortably. It's simple. Ron hasn't got a clue.

Which clubs manage comfortably?

That first bit about permanent managers is harsh. Yes finding Tilly may have been a bit lucky but they were great years. Sturrock saved us and then in any other season would have got promoted. And when we he went it was because we wasn’t pushing for the play offs. And Brown got us promoted?!

Back