• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United have now had more than 60 applicants to be manager and Ron Martin says next boss will be free to make signings

Ron’s spinning plate act, to keep the club alive, deserves credit.

Employing Sol on ridiculous wages, when we’re skint as ****, was a clueless thing to do.

It’s fairly simple. If you want to over complicate it, then fill your boots ??‍♂️

As I said, somewhere in the middle is the truth.

I hope I am wrong but its appears as though we are heading to a point of non recovery under Ron Martin. I think it's clear on evidence over 20+ years that this man is incredibly untrustworthy. That's talking from the SUFC view. The view from other property guys is much worse!

I believe Ron has frequently done so over the years. Unfortunately, as with all lending, you have limitations to your line of credit, and I believe Ron has probably reached his.

The only way that line of credit can now be extended, is if/when the council green light the next portion of the stadium move.

The good news for us, is that we’ve passed the first hurdle, and it’s likely that we’ll pass the next one too, which I think is due this autumn time? @rigsby?

The only thing that could realistically stop this from happening now, is an almighty recession/depression due to a global pandemic. Luckily there’s not one going on at the mome.... oh.

Don't ask me. Anyone who claims to be able to read or even guess the timing of a Southend council decision of any sort.... Is a lier. Ron doesn't even know what they may come up with next, which is why he can only give vague timelines.

The one thing that is recession proof in Britain is housing. So following on from your 2 good 2 bad theory about Ron. The switch from retail to housing at FF must be his best decision yet.
Seeing as the council need the RH development to potentially house all the scuffers from the Queensway tower blocks, it must surely happen.

Far from being close to the brink as some claim, we may well be closer than ever to a secure future. Then the anyone but Ron brigade can wave him good by and welcome the new far Eastern business man aboard....Who will shower us with gifts and treat us like his own children......Because he just loves the good people of Essex and will always put our interests first.

I see Averly have been snapped up by a guy who is worth 350 million. Even a 2 million a year loss wouldnt worry someone that rich.

There are very rich people out there who would love to own a pro club.

Don't ask me. Anyone who claims to be able to read or even guess the timing of a Southend council decision of any sort.... Is a lier. Ron doesn't even know what they may come up with next, which is why he can only give vague timelines.

The one thing that is recession proof in Britain is housing. So following on from your 2 good 2 bad theory about Ron. The switch from retail to housing at FF must be his best decision yet.
Seeing as the council need the RH development to potentially house all the scuffers from the Queensway tower blocks, it must surely happen.

Far from being close to the brink as some claim, we may well be closer than ever to a secure future. Then the anyone but Ron brigade can wave him good by and welcome the new far Eastern business man aboard....Who will shower us with gifts and treat us like his own children......Because he just loves the good people of Essex and will always put our interests first.

That would be great if it was Ron's decision to switch from retail to housing. It wasnt.

The fact is. He stood to make more money from the retail eliment (ie) ongoing rental income.

He gets nothing from the housing. It becomes the councils and various housing association properties. And the contractors get a share for private sale.

It was the only way the council would accept the plans. Not Ron's idea at all.

I see Averly have been snapped up by a guy who is worth 350 million. Even a 2 million a year loss wouldnt worry someone that rich.

There are very rich people out there who would love to own a pro club.

Its East Thurrock not Aveley.

As Yorkshire and others have said, at least we still have a club (just!). Not dead and Buryed yet. Small mercies and all that.

That would be great if it was Ron's decision to switch from retail to housing. It wasnt.

The fact is. He stood to make more money from the retail eliment (ie) ongoing rental income.

He gets nothing from the housing. It becomes the councils and various housing association properties. And the contractors get a share for private sale.

It was the only way the council would accept the plans. Not Ron's idea at all.

Not sure where you have got all that from Tommy but your completely wrong.

I get you don't like Ron but claiming Ron gets nothing from housing is nonsense, he owns both sites for a start.

That aside anyone would take 800 houses over a retail park. Part of the plan was always for the club to own some of the residential to have another form of revenue income.

I seem to recall Ron stating that Autumn time was the next round. My apologies, I thought you would be the man who would be across the rough timeline.

The switch from retail to housing at FF must be his best decision yet.

As always, I’m on board with whatever suits the club best.

Obviously it’s still to be seen exactly how the club will benefit from any of it, and whether it truly will make us self-sustainable or not.

I seem to recall Ron stating that Autumn time was the next round. My apologies, I thought you would be the man who would be across the rough timeline.

Obviously it’s still to be seen exactly how the club will benefit from any of it, and whether it truly will make us self-sustainable or not.
Surely the benefit is a new ground that the club actually own? We will own it right? As to being self-sustainable that will come down to simple accounting (something football clubs don't seem to do too well at:Smile:)

Surely the benefit is a new ground that the club actually own? We will own it right? As to being self-sustainable that will come down to simple accounting (something football clubs don't seem to do too well at:Smile:)

In theory we will. Ron will own it, but I recall him saying that he would give it back to the club when everything is complete.

It’s still unclear how we will generate income from that stadium, aside from hosting corporate functions. Will they alone garner enough money to make the club self-sustainable?

Of course, if we could fill it to the rafters every game, that would do us nicely. Sadly, there’s no Ray Liotta in this story, so there’s no guarantee that will happen.

Autumn is the plan but it only takes one minor thing for that to be put back yet again.

Ron has stated in front of several witnesses that he will write off any debt the club has accrued if FF gets the OK. He also said he would make some of the apartments linked to the stadium club owned.....Which would be ideal to house players and staff as some local landlords charge top dollar for footballers.

Then we have the hotel to be incorporated into the main stand......Im not sure how the retail side of things being cancelled will effect that part of the plan?

As a plus he has also said he will gift some land for parking for the church.

So yes we can have a fair moan about Bond, Sol and Ridgewell but right now Ron is the best person to take the FF project forward. He has worked with the council and we as a club stand to gain a lot financially.

Some would like to see Ron go now but any new chairman worth that magical £300m+ would want to put his own stamp on things and we would be set back several stages. Then just like the bloke at Ebbsfleet, they could soon get bored with slow pace of British planning and pull the plug.

We have all waited to long and that includes Ron. He needs the deal as much as us and that folks is a good thing.

Autumn is the plan but it only takes one minor thing for that to be put back yet again.

Ron has stated in front of several witnesses that he will write off any debt the club has accrued if FF gets the OK. He also said he would make some of the apartments linked to the stadium club owned.....Which would be ideal to house players and staff as some local landlords charge top dollar for footballers.

Then we have the hotel to be incorporated into the main stand......Im not sure how the retail side of things being cancelled will effect that part of the plan?

As a plus he has also said he will gift some land for parking for the church.

So yes we can have a fair moan about Bond, Sol and Ridgewell but right now Ron is the best person to take the FF project forward. He has worked with the council and we as a club stand to gain a lot financially.

Some would like to see Ron go now but any new chairman worth that magical £300m+ would want to put his own stamp on things and we would be set back several stages. Then just like the bloke at Ebbsfleet, they could soon get bored with slow pace of British planning and pull the plug.

We have all waited to long and that includes Ron. He needs the deal as much as us and that folks is a good thing.
Sounds similar to what Barry Hearn did for orient with some of the 4 corner residential buildings - making them self sustainable and leaving no debt just before selling to a madman!!! Hopefully that last bit won't be similar.
I admire the chairman's dogged drive to make FF happen. There's part of him that i think means well in all things done for Southend but he gets soo star struck when appointing managers and you have to take any personal 1:1 promises with some scepticism and not base your future on them. As many have and will keep learning.
I do think there will be a happy ending but with collateral damage along the way. As we are experiencing now.

He also said he would make some of the apartments linked to the stadium club owned.....Which would be ideal to house players and staff as some local landlords charge top dollar for footballers.

I’ll be honest mate, I still don’t see how a hotel in the middle of a housing estate & owning a few apartments will make us self-sufficient, but I hope I’m proved wrong.

Agreed. Ron is the only way forward right now.

I don’t think he’s the devil incarnate, and I don’t think he’s trying to destroy the club, but his decision making at times, fill me with dread.

I will continue to watch on cautiously, hoping that he really does have the best interests of the club at heart, he fulfills his promises & this works out well for us, and not just him.

I believe Ron has frequently done so over the years. Unfortunately, as with all lending, you have limitations to your line of credit, and I believe Ron has probably reached his.

The only way that line of credit can now be extended, is if/when the council green light the next portion of the stadium move.

The good news for us, is that we’ve passed the first hurdle, and it’s likely that we’ll pass the next one too, which I think is due this autumn time? @rigsby?

The only thing that could realistically stop this from happening now, is an almighty recession/depression due to a global pandemic. Luckily there’s not one going on at the mome.... oh.

Thanks, GBJ. That all makes sense.

Back