• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ted
O'Neill Thompson Barrett Coker
Worrall Deegan Leonard McLaughlin
Barnett Mooney

Subs: Bexon, White, Hunt, Atkinson, Malarczyk, Bridge, Wabo

If Bentley and Payne have made it clear they don't want to be here then there's no place for them. Actually play Mooney up front with a partner and let him play to his strengths.

Ted
O'Neill Thompson Barrett Coker
Worrall Deegan Leonard McLaughlin
Barnett Mooney

Subs: Bexon, White, Hunt, Atkinson, Malarczyk, Bridge, Wabo

If Bentley and Payne have made it clear they don't want to be here then there's no place for them. Actually play Mooney up front with a partner and let him play to his strengths.
I was half thinking that, but who will be the partner? All of our strikers are **** at the moment. Hunt isn't the way forward next season for me, so don't see the point in playing him.

Please AB, enlighten me as to what his strength(s) are?

He can take a penalty.

I was half thinking that, but who will be the partner? All of our strikers are **** at the moment. Hunt isn't the way forward next season for me, so don't see the point in playing him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mooney is a great finisher, we have seen brief glimpses of it against Colchester away and at home to Burton. At the start of the season Mooney was a victim of Brown still playing the Barry Corr system and DM just isn't the same. For that matter, no one is! :'(:Worthy:

However get the ball on the floor and into Mooney's feet and he will score goals. Pair him with a target man i.e Barnett.

We have sold/given away just over 6,000 tickets so far. So if you add on the Corporate, directors and hangers on, then that's probably about 6,300 home tickets.
Not sure how many Bradford have sold.

Hi guys,
City fan in peace.
According to Claret and Banter, we had sold just over 1100 tickets early on Tuesday afternoon. There's a fairly sizeable London Bantams contingent, most of whom are likely to turn up and pay on the gate. I reckon we'll take about 1500 all told. But however many we take, we'll be LOUD.
Massive game for us. A win confirms a playoff place; a draw makes it highly likely; a defeat leaves us with possible squeaky bum time against Chesterfield sunday week, depending on other results.
This has banana skin written all over it for us. We're in good form; your players are already on their jollies; what could possibly go wrong?

Hi guys,
City fan in peace.
According to Claret and Banter, we had sold just over 1100 tickets early on Tuesday afternoon. There's a fairly sizeable London Bantams contingent, most of whom are likely to turn up and pay on the gate. I reckon we'll take about 1500 all told. But however many we take, we'll be LOUD.Massive game for us. A win confirms a playoff place; a draw makes it highly likely; a defeat leaves us with possible squeaky bum time against Chesterfield sunday week, depending on other results.
This has banana skin written all over it for us. We're in good form; your players are already on their jollies; what could possibly go wrong?

Good one, will be nice to hear a bit of noise at Roots Hall, most away fans have been pretty quiet all season. It might also make us sing up a bit more.

About 6,200 home tickets sold so far so could be 8,000 crowd, just what the club want!

Hi guys,
City fan in peace.
According to Claret and Banter, we had sold just over 1100 tickets early on Tuesday afternoon. There's a fairly sizeable London Bantams contingent, most of whom are likely to turn up and pay on the gate. I reckon we'll take about 1500 all told. But however many we take, we'll be LOUD.
Massive game for us. A win confirms a playoff place; a draw makes it highly likely; a defeat leaves us with possible squeaky bum time against Chesterfield sunday week, depending on other results.

Lighten up Essex Bantam...your right about our players, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out in speedos and flip flops on Saturday :smile:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mooney is a great finisher, we have seen brief glimpses of it against Colchester away and at home to Burton. At the start of the season Mooney was a victim of Brown still playing the Barry Corr system and DM just isn't the same. For that matter, no one is! :'(:Worthy:

However get the ball on the floor and into Mooney's feet and he will score goals. Pair him with a target man i.e Barnett.

Spot on. Both Mooney and Barnett haven't been used to their strengths. If feel sorry for both; all they do is chase lost causes and get demoralised. That's then compounded when ****nuggets who supposedly support the club get on their backs and boo them.

Pair them together, give them some service, and we'll get goals. It aint rocket science!

Agree that Mooney is more effective playing with a strike partner. However calling Mooney a great finisher is hugely rose tinting his ability IMO.

Yes the two goals you highlight were good finishes but you fail to mention the umpteen clear chances he has missed, a large number in the Peterborough home game alone. I also remember a number of excellent chances with just the keeper to beat that he blew in home games since then, not to mention the time he chose to dive (and get a yellow card for his troubles) rather than take a clear goal scoring chance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mooney is a great finisher, we have seen brief glimpses of it against Colchester away and at home to Burton.

I have slightly abbreviated your post and tried to see a true positive BUT he didn't do a lot against Col U (1 goal and 4 off sides?) or Burton.
I haven't seen much show of 1 on 1 success from him that gives me confidence; in the same way as I would have for, say, David Crown (same league standard) and as you say he doesn't do heading the ball.
For last home game of the season I would rather have Hunt with Barnett, if Jack isn't being played. Hunt can shoot, head and do 1 on 1 stuff........................if he is fit:blush:

Brought him in on loan a while ago, so why not start Malarczyk?

Not much (if anything) to play for, so I'd go...

Smith
White Barrett Malarczyk Coker
Atkinson Deegan Bridge Worrall
Hunt Mooney

Will probably be far from that though...

I have slightly abbreviated your post and tried to see a true positive BUT he didn't do a lot against Col U (1 goal and 4 off sides?) or Burton.
I haven't seen much show of 1 on 1 success from him that gives me confidence; in the same way as I would have for, say, David Crown (same league standard) and as you say he doesn't do heading the ball.
For last home game of the season I would rather have Hunt with Barnett, if Jack isn't being played. Hunt can shoot, head and do 1 on 1 stuff........................if he is fit:blush:

I don't know why but this made me smile, I was picturing Mooney having an office style interview-
'what would say your strengths and weaknesses are'
-- 'Well I 'dont do heading' and I may stray offside every once in a while '
'and your strenghts?'
--- errr..............................:tumbleweed:

Last edited:
I don't know why but this made me smile, I was picturing Mooney having an office style interview-
'what would say your strengths and weaknesses are'
-- 'Well I 'dont do heading' and I may stray offside every once in a while '
'and your strengths?'
--- errr..............................:tumbleweed:

"I run around a lot and many supporters put a high value on that ............"

"I run around a lot and many supporters put a high value on that ............"
well, to be precise - I tend to run at a speed just enough so that it looks like I am competing , but I never actually have to make a tackle or a block or put their defender under any concerted pressure at all

Having taking the mic, I would still love it if he played on saturday and had a great game and went on to have many more great games for us

Stats ;

Southend last kept a clean sheet at home 8 games ago.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, Bradford have won 10, drawn 8 and lost 2 of these matches

WATCH out Southend – Kyel Reid is coming back to his happiest hunting ground.
The City winger has won all four of his visits to Roots Hall and scored there for Barnsley and Charlton.
Phil Parkinson mentioned Reid's perfect record to him yesterday – but the winger needed no reminding.
Reid said: "I went there with him with Bradford and Charlton and he was saying that I'd had some good performances.
"But Southend is just a great ground for me. I've had some big performances there and long may it continue.

"I like everything about it. Obviously it's not far from home in London but the ground set-up is great.
"The pitch is quite tight and the crowd are close to the pitch, especially the away fans behind the goal.
"There's no better feeling than when you score and run behind the goal where they all are. Hopefully we can put on a great performance for them again and get the result we need."
City may have enough points already for the League One play-offs but Parkinson wants to make sure and remove any nerves going into the final week.
The Bantams boss said: "We don't want to have to rely on other teams. It's in our own hands and we want to finish the job off.
"We'd like to maintain the standards we've set recently. That's the most important thing. Over a long period of time, we've produced the performances and the points and it's about keeping that going."
While City have timed their run, Southend have crashed the other way and fallen out of contention – but Parkinson will not take anything for granted.
He said: "Southend were above us at one stage and doing really well. It just shows you how this division has swayed to and fro this year.

"They've had an indifferent spell but still produced some big performances. They've beaten Sheffield United and Burton at home and went to Barnsley and won.
"We know the atmosphere for the last home game of the season is always cranked up to a degree, so we've got to be ready for that."

Phil Brown has blamed Southend's poor run on the constant speculation linking him with the Bolton job. Parkinson, who knows his rival boss well, can understand that having an effect.
The City chief said: "In the past it's proved that. There will be managers who get things put in the papers themselves but with Brownie and his connection, there is a genuine interest there. He can't do anything about that and it's out of his hands.
"Whether he feels that affected them – but in the past, it can do. That's why, as a manager, it's best to keep yourself out of the newspapers if you can."
Parkinson is unlikely to change the side that hammered Walsall. Lee Evans suffered a bang on the back of his knee but trained okay yesterday. Josh Cullen also returned unscathed from his outing with West Ham under-21s on Monday.
Parkinson said: "We're on the verge. We just want to stay really focused. We're capable on our day, as we've shown this season.
"If we can get over the line this weekend, there'll be a real buzz about the place. You can sense it already. The intensity of the training is really good.
"There's nothing worse than when a season just peters out. It's just great to be involved in the shake-up. That was our aim and now we want to get over the finish line."

Agree that Mooney is more effective playing with a strike partner. However calling Mooney a great finisher is hugely rose tinting his ability IMO.

Yes the two goals you highlight were good finishes but you fail to mention the umpteen clear chances he has missed, a large number in the Peterborough home game alone. I also remember a number of excellent chances with just the keeper to beat that he blew in home games since then, not to mention the time he chose to dive (and get a yellow card for his troubles) rather than take a clear goal scoring chance.

Who would be the best finisher at the club in your opinion then? Having watched all our strikers this season, Mooney by far looks the most composed in a 1-1 IMO.

Who would be the best finisher at the club in your opinion then? Having watched all our strikers this season, Mooney by far looks the most composed in a 1-1 IMO.

I would rank Jack and Hunt as better 1-1 finishers than Mooney. Ty hasn't had many such situations to be judged on.

Back