• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
With all the frustration and unhappiness around this place, I thought it might work to get the next match thread up and running.

Assuming we all had a clean slate and drew a line under old systems, past results and so on and look to the future, it'll be interesting to pick a side for Saturday if we were in charge for the day.

It took a while for me to be sure, but I would like to see 4-4-2 :-

Oxley
White Inniss Barrett Coker
Demetriou Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth
Cox Ranger

Subs : Smith Ferdinand Fortune McLaughlin McGlashan Mooney Bridge

It's a toss up between a diamond with Atkinson at the base and Wordy at the top or Atkinson and Leonard playing deeper together and Wordy and Demetriou further up. If I had to choose, I'd take the diamond.

I like the 2 x Mc's, but for the moment, I'd rather see people who can link the play and pass and move the ball around. Not saying they can't, but the other options seem better for me and we definitely need an engine in front of the back-four.

We'd need to play a tight pressing game and definitely get the ball into Cox feet early, in my view.

The Mc's would be good impact subs, alongside Fortune and we have Ferdinand as a back up if one of the centre-halves gets injured or is having a poor game.

With all the frustration and unhappiness around this place, I thought it might work to get the next match thread up and running.

Assuming we all had a clean slate and drew a line under old systems, past results and so on and look to the future, it'll be interesting to pick a side for Saturday if we were in charge for the day.

It took a while for me to be sure, but I would like to see 4-4-2 :-

Oxley
White Inniss Barrett Coker
Demetriou Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth
Cox Ranger

Subs : Smith Ferdinand Fortune McLaughlin McGlashan Mooney Bridge

It's a toss up between a diamond with Atkinson at the base and Wordy at the top or Atkinson and Leonard playing deeper together and Wordy and Demetriou further up. If I had to choose, I'd take the diamond.

I like the 2 x Mc's, but for the moment, I'd rather see people who can link the play and pass and move the ball around. Not saying they can't, but the other options seem better for me and we definitely need an engine in front of the back-four.

We'd need to play a tight pressing game and definitely get the ball into Cox feet early, in my view.

The Mc's would be good impact subs, alongside Fortune and we have Ferdinand as a back up if one of the centre-halves gets injured or is having a poor game.

Cox and Ranger !

Starting up front !

At Roots Hall on Saturday !!

oooh ! Suit you sir !!!

Oxley
demi Innis Ferdinand Coker
McGlashlan Atkinson Leonard McLaughlin
Ranger fortune

Start on the front foot and get the ball wide and into the front 2. Cox to come on as sub in number 10 role later in game. But let's attack from the start and get the crowd going!!!!!!

... Actually, Thompson could be a good fit for the bottom of the diamond.

It's odd, because he has the attributes.

Decent tackler, fair distribution and so on and can bring the ball out from the back.

The ideal guy for that role is probably Timlin in the long run.

I would go for

Oxley
Demetriou, Innis, Ferdinand, Coker
McGlashan, Leonard, Atkinson
Ranger , Cox , Wordsworth

however he won't leave out Barrett because he has great attitude, can't leave out Innis because he needs height and can't leave out Ferdinand because he used to be a star. Thompson, Sokolik don't get a look in - we seem to have too many centre halves.

So an attacker gets sacrificed to keep 5 at the back and we lose the initiative.

McGlashan needs to pay because of his pace and Wordsworth because he gets into good positions. Ranger and Cox should be our best footballers. Atkinson comes in because he works hard and should be told to get the ball and give it to the footballers.

It's odd, because he has the attributes.

Decent tackler, fair distribution and so on and can bring the ball out from the back.

The ideal guy for that role is probably Timlin in the long run.

I would not play Timlin base of a diamond, he doesn't have sufficient tactical discipline.

I would not play Timlin base of a diamond, he doesn't have sufficient tactical discipline.

That might be true.

It's a role you'd think players could adapt to. Lenny, Will, Timlin, Thompson I'm sure could all fill it if needed, but choosing the right one would be the toughest call.

Mr Brown must decide what we are going to play, formation changes mid game seldom work when we have no great game changer players.
If we play 5 at the back then no (or just 1 winger) keeps it simple and the wing backs know their role.
If we want to play 2 wide men (the Mac's) then we have to play 4 4 2.
Cox and Ranger (or Fortune) to start up front.

This leaves the midfield selection, which is dependent on the formation.

Oxley
Demetriou Innis Ferdinand Coker
McGlashan Leonard Wordsworth McGlaughlan
Cox Ranger

Subs: Smith White Barrett O'neill Atkinson Fortune Mooney​

Oxley
White Innis Ferdinand Coker
Demetirou Leonard(Capt) Wordsworth Mc Glashan
Cox Ranger

Subs T Smith. Barratt. O.Neill. Atkinson. Mc Laughlin Mooney Fortune

Think we need to rest Adam and give armband to Lenny. Go back to White and Coker.

Oxley
White Innis Ferdinand Coker
Demetirou Leonard(Capt) Wordsworth Mc Glashan
Cox Ranger

Subs T Smith. Barratt. O.Neill. Atkinson. Mc Laughlin Mooney Fortune

Think we need to rest Adam and give armband to Lenny. Go back to White and Coker.

This selection is about right for me too SlapheadSteve.
White and Coker know their roles and having proper wingers ought to ensure there is regular outlets from the back.
I don't know what threat and height Chesterfield have so Inniss or Thompson is my quandary.

In a 4 4 2 Ferdinand offers better mobility, comfort on the ball, distribution than Barratt but in truth there doesn't appear much between them.

5103 home seats accounted for including the two I've just bought. There's a reasonable chance we could be peaking nearly 6000 come Saturday.

Not having seen the last away game performance I can only predict a team based on my last two home game visits (Peterborough/Orient) and Rochdale away reports...................just need to add the 'Phil Brown selections' factor and I come up with ............yep, your guess is as good as mine. So I'll go with this starting line up:

Oxley

White Inniss Ferdinand Coker

Thompson

Demetriou Lenny Mclaughlin

Cox Ranger

I would like to include Wordsworth but have gone for a more conservative approach. Very unlikely that Phil will agree with me, but If he doesn't I will be very cross with him (unless we win well obviously).

Back