• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Southend United v Colchester United next season?

Hating localish rivals is natural and happens everywhere. Some of the bad feeling comes from things that happened in the past on the terraces and on the roads and in the pubs in the 70s and 80s. Southend hoolies had their measure and were always beating them everywhere, but it was all punches and kicks. Some of the nastier Colchester lot decided to counter this by jumping out on smaller groups of Southend fans and using knives and Stanley knives. GL was slashed over his body with a Stanley knife as he and his mate were set upon and totally outnumbered about 50 onto 2, outside the Drury pub Colchester. As he was carted off to hospital to have a lot of stitches, they went to the game, and started singing, G is a jigsaw. They've never been forgiven for that, just like Southend will never be forgiven by a lot of Cambridge fans.

I remember walking up the road just minutes after the attack. For a brief few seconds some gathering angry Shrimpers were about to launch a friendly fire attack on me and a mate.

I remember GL's checked shirt was slashed to ribbons. Others were trying to persuade him to get in an ambulance. To me all Col U fans should be under the same rules of Welsh men within the city walls of Chester......Apart from the nice ones like the family who played in the same team as me for Rayleigh CC....

I think it was at Colchester probably back at in the 70s they put a brick through a supreme coach window

Colchester now sit 3rd from bottom having drawn 5 & lost 1 of their last 6 matches.

They are 1 point above the relegation zone.

As we know, draws are all good & dandy but don't rack up the points like wins do.

Hard times for their supporters .........

What is the likelihood of an Essex derby next season?
possible but unlikely imho

I tuned in on Saturday expecting them to get a pasting and they actually ended up playing really well. I thought they were really solid and played as a unit. They had a shot tipped onto the post at 1-1 too. They have games in hand and it's a lot to ask of Sutton and FGR to keep winning.

They play like they did on Saturday and they'll be fine.

Also think that they’ll survive…..
I’d hate to think of their attendance figures if they relegated though, they’re bordering on poo 💩 at the moment 😱😱😱

How about Chelmsford, Col U and us in the NL

That would make things really interesting next season
Chelmsford have no chance of coming up, they'll bottle the play-offs like they have done the last ten times they have been in them (albeit one of those was in the Isthmian Premier).

I'd rather Col U stay up, the Cowleys know the National League well and you'd favour them to get them out of it immediately, Having said that, FGR and Sutton spent a long time in the Conference before they came up to the FL so we shouldn't underestimate them if they take the drop. Grimsby could still be dragged into the relegation scrap as well if they don't pick their form up.

I'd love to see them come down.

There is a thread entitled " let's all laugh at Southend" which has been running since we fell apart.

They have been down the bottom every season for a a few years now. Only staying up at the death and because of the fact it's two down.

They have games in hand and need to win them. Both FGR and Sutton are picking up points under new management and Steve cotterill is a whiley old fox in the same mould as Phil Brown.

This may well go down to the wire.

I’d be surprised if they go down. The Cowleys seem to be turning it round slowly. By all accounts they were really good in their draw at the league leaders Mansfield at the weekend. As for the hate thing, I don’t hate Col U, Orient, Daggers (chav fans aside) or any other ‘local’ rivals. We’re all small lower league clubs trying to survive.

It would, but visiting Chelmsford would be a terrible away day. Well the town and journey etc are decent but the stadium is an athletics track.
It would, but visiting Chelmsford would be a terrible away day. Well the town and journey etc are decent but the stadium is an athletics track.

So if it was a choice of Chelmsford or Boreham Wood surely 90%+ of Shrimpers would choose Chelmsford?

Plus we go all the way to Gateshead to play in an athletics stadium.

Interesting isn’t it.

As far as I can see Cowleys record:
P11 W1 D8 L3

Which means points per game under them is no improvement on the average of the other managers this season. Yes lots of draws- yes a bit of luck and a goal in a few of those it might look different, but the thing about draws is the same applies for the opposition, and a a few of those with bad luck would have been defeats.

1 win in 12 is not a good spin on it, but I think the Cowleys will get time the others didn’t due to their (until more recently deserved) reputation.

I’d be surprised if they go down. The Cowleys seem to be turning it round slowly. By all accounts they were really good in their draw at the league leaders Mansfield at the weekend. As for the hate thing, I don’t hate Col U, Orient, Daggers (chav fans aside) or any other ‘local’ rivals. We’re all small lower league clubs trying to survive.

I watched the second half in the pub on Saturday and they had areal go at Mansfield towards the end.

In Cowley fashion they force 3 corners in row in added time. All were bent in at pace which caused problems. Hope the Amigos watch the recording as corners have one of our weakest areas for far to many seasons.

Back