• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Southend United v Colchester United next season?

I would rather share a pint with a Col U fan than any plastic Premiershi*** follower. That said I really want them to be relegated.

Whilst it would be a nice easy trip up the A12 and decent ground to visit with no doubt a decent following I cant see them being relegated whilst they have a few difficult fixtures to navigate anything is possible

So if it was a choice of Chelmsford or Boreham Wood surely 90%+ of Shrimpers would choose Chelmsford?

Plus we go all the way to Gateshead to play in an athletics stadium.

No I'd rather visit an actual football stadium. Not some good awful athletics track which spoils the atmosphere and is open to the elements.

All of the above are awful.

Colchester now sit 3rd from bottom having drawn 5 & lost 1 of their last 6 matches.

They are 1 point above the relegation zone.

As we know, draws are all good & dandy but don't rack up the points like wins do.

Hard times for their supporters .........

What is the likelihood of an Essex derby next season?
You are Michael Owen and I claim my £5

Don't understand the hatred Of Col U ? WOW.
I went to all our away games at Layer rd from 68-77, it was always an enjoyable day out for all of us. We always took the place over, never had a hatred for them, just considered them as a smaller team who posed no threat to us.
Still do to this day, i never look to see their results, couldn't care less although they are currently in a higher division than we are, so what?.

And with Daggers we could have an A13 derby, an A130 derby, and an A12 derby...

Would save on the away mileage a bit. :Thumbs up:
On a serious note, could be a relatively important factor in determining away form so perhaps it would be to our advantage if Col U and Chelmsford/Braintree are all NL next season

Colchester now sit 3rd from bottom having drawn 5 & lost 1 of their last 6 matches.

They are 1 point above the relegation zone.

As we know, draws are all good & dandy but don't rack up the points like wins do.

Hard times for their supporters .........

What is the likelihood of an Essex derby next season?
Chelmsford City, Colchester and SUFC that would be something..

I watched the second half in the pub on Saturday and they had areal go at Mansfield towards the end.

In Cowley fashion they force 3 corners in row in added time. All were bent in at pace which caused problems. Hope the Amigos watch the recording as corners have one of our weakest areas for far to many seasons.
Taking a corner at RH is a nightmare. The amount of pitch available for a run up is small and the incline of the slope makes it hard to get a decent cross over. Always been a problem.

Taking a corner at RH is a nightmare. The amount of pitch available for a run up is small and the incline of the slope makes it hard to get a decent cross over. Always been a problem.

I spoke to PB in his first spell about that exact problem. He did get get the corners flattened so that players don't have to hurdle Beechers Brook during their run up. They seem to have grown again. I have noticed other clubs with the same problem build the corners up with astro.

Woking pinged an early corner well beyond the far post. I think its on the highlights. York did the exact same to win the game late on. Both times they had a man unmarked. The woking lad was greedy and tried tried beat Collin from tight angle. The York lad did the right thing buy heading it back into the right area. From memory Dorking got the winner at their place with the same move. Crowther has it in his locker but our corners are shockingly poor and often the wrong man taking them.

Around the same time as I spoke to PB bout corners a couple of us asked Ron for white nets rather than the blue we had. We explained to Ron that if your one end of the ground its not clear if you ave scored at times. More importantly we had theory that players see the goal more easily....Peripheral vision/psychology etc.....First day of the next season Ron smiled and informed us we had our white nets.

The end result was the away teams took much better corners and scored more goals. Be carefull what you wish for and all that......I firmly believe I am directly responsible for us being in the NL.

Talking of corners - something I've never seen before on Sat - normally players place the ball as far onto the pitch as possible - Woking player placed the ball as far off the pitch as he could get away with

They have been down the bottom every season for a a few years now. Only staying up at the death and because of the fact it's two down.
I’d love to see Col Ewe come down as much as the next man, but to be fair they haven’t finished in the bottom 3 recently.

I spoke to PB in his first spell about that exact problem. He did get get the corners flattened so that players don't have to hurdle Beechers Brook during their run up. They seem to have grown again. I have noticed other clubs with the same problem build the corners up with astro.

Woking pinged an early corner well beyond the far post. I think its on the highlights. York did the exact same to win the game late on. Both times they had a man unmarked. The woking lad was greedy and tried tried beat Collin from tight angle. The York lad did the right thing buy heading it back into the right area. From memory Dorking got the winner at their place with the same move. Crowther has it in his locker but our corners are shockingly poor and often the wrong man taking them.

Around the same time as I spoke to PB bout corners a couple of us asked Ron for white nets rather than the blue we had. We explained to Ron that if your one end of the ground its not clear if you ave scored at times. More importantly we had theory that players see the goal more easily....Peripheral vision/psychology etc.....First day of the next season Ron smiled and informed us we had our white nets.

The end result was the away teams took much better corners and scored more goals. Be carefull what you wish for and all that......I firmly believe I am directly responsible for us being in the NL.

We should build out those corners of the pitch, although am not sure we can, is there a rule that says the gravel around the perimeter has to be a certain width for safety reasons?

Kev used to talk about it when he was a player 20 years ago. Maybe we should have a similar corner at the training ground?

It's an interesting one but is our delivery of corners any better away from home? I've noticed of late Miley or Morton have taken corners and put in a better delivery but it always seems to revert to Bridge taking them. With the height we have - Dackers, Ollie K, Crowther, Cardwell .. Ralph can get his head on it .. we should pose a much bigger threat at set pieces.

It's an interesting one but is our delivery of corners any better away from home? I've noticed of late Miley or Morton have taken corners and put in a better delivery but it always seems to revert to Bridge taking them. With the height we have - Dackers, Ollie K, Crowther, Cardwell .. Ralph can get his head on it .. we should pose a much bigger threat at set pieces.
In your 5-strong list of scorers from corners,you’ve forgotten Gus who I think has converted more than any of the others.
It’s unfortunate that our 2 most dangerous headers are the 2 long-throwers.
It amuses me that oppos regularly retreat deep into their penalty-area when Bridge is about to take a throw-in.

Pleas, please enlighten me as to why I should hate an entity, let alone another person.? I'm all ears.
have a look back through the blues v colchester history books , there have many things between the 2 clubs over the years from fighting .stabbings to vandalism so there`s no love between the 2 essex sides , just ask the essex police

Off the pitch we terrorised them in the late 90s and into the 2000's, starting from gassing the drury arms with their boys inside and various other little battles outside the stadiums including the famous pitch invasion in the west corner which even got to Brazilian tv amongst others.

Unless they've got weapons then they cannot cope with Southend it's as simple as that.

Is there such rivalry now?.

The facts that plenty of our younger fans have never experienced fighting with Col U, see us play them on the pitch and due our recent slump hsve not adopted the likes of Dagenham as our rivals who for the likes of me, purely a nuisance club who will hopefully be a distant memory in the not too distant future.

Col U, Cambridge and Orient for me are our real rivals but that's due to my experiences with their sh1thouse fans who really do hate us with a passion with the feeling being somewhat mutual.

Off the pitch we terrorised them in the late 90s and into the 2000's, starting from gassing the drury arms with their boys inside and various other little battles outside the stadiums including the famous pitch invasion in the west corner which even got to Brazilian tv amongst others.
Unless they've got weapons then they cannot cope with Southend it's as simple as that.
Is there such rivalry now?.
The facts that plenty of our younger fans have never experienced fighting with Col U, see us play them on the pitch and due our recent slump hsve not adopted the likes of Dagenham as our rivals who for the likes of me, purely a nuisance club who will hopefully be a distant memory in the not too distant future.
Col U, Cambridge and Orient for me are our real rivals but that's due to my experiences with their sh1thouse fans who really do hate us with a passion with the feeling being somewhat mutual.
1. Late 90's plus long after my time, although i went to the LDV 1st leg final there in 2004 & the championship game in 2006, that was the 1st time i'd seen them have a crew, but never felt nervous or threatened either time.
2. As i've mentioned before, every time i went there between 68-77, we swamped the place. Only once in an evening game on a mon in 71 ( i think ), about 50 of them were waiting across the road when we came out after the game. They scattered like flies when we went to say hello to them!.
Back in the day, i considered Watford, Brentford, Brighton & Bournemouth as main rivals, although 2 of those weren't exactly on our doorstep. Cambridge was a fun day out, as for Dagenham & Orient, apart from playing Dagenham in F.A. Cup 1st rd in 1970 (?) , the pair of them were never on our wavelength.
Hey ho, we're talking about memories stretching back over 55 years, every generation have their own recollections, thank goodness my memory is still sharp!.

Back