• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Newport County (Last game of the 2020/21 Season)

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twenty third and last League Two home game of the 2020/21 season and Phil Brown’s 3rd League home game in charge since returning as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 23rd and last League Two match at home is against Newport County

SkyBet League Two.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngNewport County.png
This is our last home game of the season and our last game in the English Football League for a while.

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, you can still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar” at home.

Phil Brown’s 3rd Southend United and last EFL League two Home Team of the 2020/21 season

E03eVVFXsAIaZgC.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 15.00 hrs Saturday 8th May 2021 against Newport County. It looks like the heavy rain and high winds have died out but there will still be chance of drizzle and gusty winds during this afternoon's game at Roots Hall.

Roots Hall.png

Here is the weather forecast for this afternoon at Roots Hall

SUFC v Newport County Weather.png

Current League home record after 22 home games

Won 5
Dawn 5
Lost 12
Goals scored 15
Goals conceded 28

League Positions Last Season

22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United (Relegated)
14th (2019/20 Season) League Two Newport County

League Positions Current Season

5th (2020/21 Season) League Two Newport County
23rd (2020/21 Season) League Two Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Newport County Positions.png
Previous Six Meetings

Newport County 0-1 Southend United (L2 09/02/21 Att. Covid 0)
Southend United 0-2 Newport County (LC1 08/08/17 Att. 2,998)
Southend United 2-0 Newport County (L2 14/04/15 Att. 5,480)
Newport County 1-0 Southend United (L2 21/10/14 Att. 2,558)
Southend United 0-0 Newport County (L2 31/01/14 Att. 5,992)
Newport County 3-1 Southend United (L2 26/10/13 Att. 3,652)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 43
Draws: 14
Newport County Wins: 44

Current Form

Newport County
L W D W W
Southend United D D L W W

Newport County Fixtures.png

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

Newport County

Newport County Manager spoke to their OS before travelling down to Roots Hall

"It’s going to be a tough afternoon and we’ve got to make sure that we’re at it"

Michael Flynn OS.png
Newport County Manager Michael Flynn

Manager Michael Flynn says he isn't expecting any favours from Southend United as Newport County AFC look to book their place in the Sky Bet League Two play-offs.

The Exiles make the trip to Roots Hall on the final day of the campaign, needing a point to secure a top-seven finish against the Shrimpers, who have already been relegated to the National League.

Phil Brown's side have claimed maximum points from their last two outings but their fate was confirmed last weekend after Scunthorpe United - the only team they could catch - managed a goalless draw against Bradford City.

But Flynn, who is currently working towards a diploma alongside Brown, says the Shrimpers will be looking to finish strongly and won't be downing their tools early.

"They’ll want to finish on a high," said the Exiles boss.

"I know Phil Brown well and he’s a very proud man. They’ve been in a good run of form, so it’s going to be a tough afternoon and we’ve got to make sure that we’re at it.

"Phil has a strong bond with Southend and it says a lot about him, he wasn't scared of the challenge ahead and backed himself.

"He only just fell short and we will never know what might have been. Was it two games short, who knows? He has done a very good job since he has been there."

County snatched the final play-off spot on the final game of the 2018-19 campaign after Jamille Matt's late strike against Morecambe secured them a place in the top seven.

The Exiles' season has gone down to the wire again this term but they are two places better off than they were at this stage two years ago.

They can still catch Morecambe, who occupy fourth but have an inferior goal difference, but Flynn says his side's only focus is on prolonging their campaign.

"If we get into the play-offs it will be a fantastic season," added Flynn.

"Go back to the start of the season and my remit was to keep us in the league and we have easily done more than that. I am not bothered about who finishes where as long as we are in that top seven.

"Fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh, I don't care. We will finish where we finish and will play whoever. The only thing I am thinking about is getting to the play-offs."

Link to full story

Link

Southend United

Phil Brown talked to the ifollow before today’s game against Newport County

Phil Brown ifollow 1.jpg
Southend United Manager Phil Brown

Phil Brown ifollow 2.png
The New Southend Manager Phil Brown speaks during his interview

Link to interview
Link

Phil Brown talked to the OS before today’s game against Newport County

Phil Brown OS.png
Southend United Manager Phil Brown

Southend United manager Phil Brown said he will be making sure that his team turn up on Saturday against Newport County with pride in the shirt.

Blues know they will be playing in the National League next season after relegation was confirmed last Saturday, while the Exiles require a point from the last game of the regular season to be sure of a play-off place.

And Brown said he won’t be afraid to change things very early if any players aren't up to the required level, and added he won’t be giving Newport boss Michael Flynn any favours.

"We need to be battling for a lot of things and the first thing is pride in your performance and in your career,” said Brown.

"I wish the supporters were there and I really mean that because if you do down tools, I wouldn’t mind, if I was in the stand, a pitch invasion myself.

"It’s a disgrace if you down tools, it’s a disgrace if you don’t wear the shirt with pride and it’s a disgrace if you don’t turn up, regardless of what there is to play for. It’s never been on the agenda where I’m concerned and never will be.

"If I detect it early, either in the warm-up or the first five minutes of the game there will be replacements.

"We’re blessed with five subs. I’ll go down to 10 men who are prepared to fight rather than play 11, and that 11th man is not giving his all.

"The team will be selected on that premise and it will be fighting for the one thing that we are fighting for and that’s the pride in the shirt that we wear.

"Michael Flynn is in town and he’s a good friend of mine, on the same diploma course as me at the moment. We’ve shared many of laughs over the course of the last year, but there will be no favours. He will know that.

"I’m not expecting anything from him but a very strong turn out of his team with some of the football he’s been playing this season. Relatively speaking that’s been much better than we’ve done. He’s towards the top of the league for one reason and that’s they turn up week in, week out.

"I know for a fact they will turn up on Saturday to try and win the game of football."

The Blues boss confirmed that Tom Clifford trained fully on Wednesday and said his team will be selected on players’ attitude.

"I’ll be trying to pick the strongest team available to me that has showed up in the last three weeks.

"I don’t mean just in games, I’m talking about in training sessions, in their conduct, in the way they’ve gone about their business. All those things will be higher up on the agenda instead of someone who possibly showed up at the start of the season and is not showing up now. If that makes sense.

"If it doesn’t make sense, I’m just going to try and win the game. I can’t simplify it any easier than that.

"I won’t be trialling anybody that’s for sure. Quite often how they conduct themselves around the place, how they answer questions, how they listen to what you’re saying for their own good all goes into the big pot of team selection.

"Ability has got a lot to do with it, but I’ve been more than interested in everyone’s attitude.

"People say you hire on ability and you fire on attitude, but I sometimes say it’s the other way around because if the attitude doesn’t show up you might as well go home; you won’t see the best ability in them.

"All of that in mind, that’s what I’ll be making sure my team is selected upon."

Link to interview

Link

Phil Brown talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Newport County

Southend United boss Phil Brown will select strongest possible team against Newport County

Phil Brown Echo.jpg
Missing out - Phil Brown will be without Ricky Holmes (left) this weekend

Southend United manager Phil Brown will be selecting his strongest possible side against Newport County this weekend.

The Shrimpers go into the game having already been relegated.

But Brown will not be using the match to look at other members of his squad.

"I will be picking the strongest team available to me that has shown up in the past three weeks," said Brown.

"I don’t mean in just games either, I mean in training sessions and in their conduct.

"All of those things will be high on the agenda and not someone who showed up at the start of the season but is possibly not showing up now.

"I’ve got to try and win the game and I won’t be trialing anyone that’s for sure.

"I’ve already had a look at everybody in training and I've listened to them too.

"That’s a big percentage in what you see but it’s also about how they conduct themselves around the place, how they answer questions and listen.

"That all goes into the big pot of selection."

Blues will be without Ricky Holmes this weekend as the winger misses out with a broken ankle while midfielder Jason Demetriou complete a three match suspension after being sent off at Colchester United.

Nathan Ralph (cruciate ligaments), Alan McCormack (calf), Lewis Gard (cruciate ligaments), Harry Lennon (knee) and Nile Ranger (groin) are all still sidelined but left-back Tom Clifford could return after recovering from a thigh problem.

Link to full story
Link
The Big Preview

Southend United vs Newport County

Big Preview.png

Overview

Blues’ final game of the season sees them entertain Newport County at Roots Hall tomorrow afternoon with the visitors not quite assured of a place in the play-offs just yet.

The Exiles know that a point will be enough to secure their spot at the end of season shootout, but defeat could open the door for Exeter to sneak in thanks to their superior goal difference.

After Southend’s fate was sealed last weekend and relegation confirmed, Blues boss Phil Brown has urged his players to go out there one final time and show pride in the shirt.

Form

Southend’s 2-1 win at Barrow last weekend was only the second time this season that Blues have picked up back-to-back victories and came following another 2-1 win over Leyton Orient.

Since Phil Brown came in as manager, Southend have picked up two wins and two draws, with their only defeat coming against Colchester United.

Newport head into Saturday unbeaten in their last four thanks to four clean sheets, with a draw against Exeter being sandwiched between wins against Crawley, Scunthorpe and Cheltenham.

Last Meeting

Tuesday 9th February 2021

Newport County 0-1 Southend United

Clifford 74’

Tom Clifford’s deflected free-kick earned Blues a thoroughly deserved 1-0 win against Newport County the last time these two sides met back in February at Rodney Parade.

After a goalless first-half, a foul on Timothee Dieng allowed Clifford the opportunity for a strike at goal, with his effort taking a wicked deflection to deceive Nick Townsend and secure Blues the win.

From The Boss

"Michael Flynn is in town and he’s a good friend of mine, on the same diploma course as me at the moment. We’ve shared many laughs over the course of the last year, but there will be no favours. He will know that.

"I’m not expecting anything from him but a very strong turn out of his team with some of the football he’s been playing this season. Relatively speaking that’s been much better than we’ve done. He’s towards the top of the league for one reason and that’s they turn up week in, week out.

"I know for a fact they will turn up on Saturday to try and win the game of football."

Blues Team News

Tom Clifford returned to training this week having been out since the trip to Exeter with a thigh injury, with the full-back in the mix for selection tomorrow.

One player likely to miss out though will be Ricky Holmes who came off at half-time against Barrow last weekend having played 45 minutes on an injured ankle.

Jason Demetriou is still suspended. Alan McCormack (calf) also remains out alongside long-term absentees Nathan Ralph, Harry Lennon, Lewis Gard (all knees) and Nile Ranger (groin).

Newport Dangerman

Exiles captain Joss Labadie is the one we’re picking to look out for tomorrow afternoon following his match-winner against Cheltenham Town last weekend.

The 30-year-old’s bullet of an effort from outside the box in just the 4th minute at Rodney Parade last weekend secured a vital win for Newport over Cheltenham Town to keep them safely inside the top seven.

That took the midfielder’s tally for the season up to five goals for the campaign, adding to his previous strikes against Mansfield, Colchester, Walsall and Watford.

Ref Watch

John Brooks will be the man in the middle of tomorrow afternoon’s clash, being assisted by Nick Greenhalgh and Akil Howson, with Declan Bourne the fourth official.

Brooks has officiated 30 games this season, mostly in the Championship, and has shown a total of 101 yellow cards and five reds. His last outing was a 2-2 draw between Reading and Swansea.

The Leicestershire referee’s last visit to Roots Hall was back in September 2017 when he oversaw a 2-1 win against Blackpool with goals from Anthony Wordsworth and Simon Cox.

iFollow Blues

With fans not able to attend Roots Hall in person, Blues supporters can watch tomorrow’s game with Newport County by picking up a Match Pass on iFollow Blues for £10.

A Match Pass will allow you to watch the game on your laptop, computer, tablet or mobile device with Season Ticket holders already having access to their pass via their iFollow account.

For more information on how you can get your Match Pass and ensure you miss none of the action at Roots Hall on iFollow Blues, click here.

Link to full story

Link

Come On You Blues!

This is our last Official Match Thread of the EFL League Two 2020/21 Season and our Southend United Football Club’s 101 year stay in the English Football League.

Unfortunately this season did not start and has not ended as we had all hoped, this is after successive relegations, which resulted in us being relegated and dropping out of the English Football League Pyramid, for the first time in our 114 year history.

Next season we start a new adventure and era at the club we all love, we will be in the Vanararama, Vanarma, Vanarmia, Vanaruddyrama, (can’t even ruddy type/spell it) Vanarama National League

Vanarama National League.png

ShrimperZone hopes we will see you all again for the start of the 2021/22 Season and for the first time in the National League.

Don't think we will see Akinola or ANG again if PB stays.
Which annoys me greatly because they could play a vital role next season. ANG was just coming into form when he was binned and Akinola, while not really a prolific scorer, is a real nuisance for defenders and is very decent in the air.

I'm guessing Brown is running over the players he wants to keep for next season. It's a big squad, more than half will be released next week when the contracts are up.

Back