• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Oldham Athletic

I don’t think most people who said that really mean it. There is a hell a lot of emotion floating around after another loss and people just need to lash out. This is so hard and is hurting all of us. In the cold light of day we all want our club to survive. It’s just mental torture that there doesn’t appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel. There never seems to be any good news. In the current climate we need some escapism and relief and we just aren’t getting it from our football team. Like a lot of people my mental health has really suffered during lockdown and the Covid situation. I was hoping my football team would boost my health, they haven’t thus far.
I can absolutely relate. Lockdown and Covid has taken a serious toll on my mental wellbeing and to have to put up with more misery from football (my usual escape from daily life) is becoming really difficult.

We're being bombarded with bad news upon bad news. Nothing appears to be getting better and I think the club's situation only compounds that misery further.

I want my club to live on. I also want that crook at the top gone. We will only get one of these options and that's the grave situation we're in.

After 45 years supporting the club I love .....of course i don't want them to fold. But in the long term we may be better off taking the medicine now ......rather than the death of another thousand cuts drifting down through the National League and then the various regional Leagues until we have no fans left.......... Or we could all start supporting Southend manor now!?

UTB

After 45 years supporting the club I love .....of course i don't want them to fold. But in the long term we may be better off taking the medicine now ......rather than the death of another thousand cuts drifting down through the National League and then the various regional Leagues until we have no fans left.......... Or we could all start supporting Southend manor now!?

UTB

They lost 7-0 tonight!

If Southend United FC dies, as it is today

You never see a club with the word ''Southend'' in it, play in the Football League in our life times again.

SO PAY THE TAX BILL RON !!

Relegation to non league, is bad BUT we still have a chance to bounce back next season
Relegation will hugely effect the finances of the club. With the finances as they are currently I cannot see the club surviving in the Conference.

I can absolutely relate. Lockdown and Covid has taken a serious toll on my mental wellbeing and to have to put up with more misery from football (my usual escape from daily life) is becoming really difficult.

We're being bombarded with bad news upon bad news. Nothing appears to be getting better and I think the club's situation only compounds that misery further.

I want my club to live on. I also want that crook at the top gone. We will only get one of these options and that's the grave situation we're in.

I'm sorry to hear about you mental health my friend, stay strong, I've suffered from it also, it's not nice. It's hard to say positive things right now with what's going on in the world, but, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel no matter what it is.

Not only Demi's fault, but Egbri, who stands like a statue after he passes. Easy to intercept after that.

Yes, not exactly helpful from him either. I actually think Egbri’s got a bit of potential, but as a winger it’s a pre-requisite to have good movement off the ball (as you quite rightly reference), successfully beat a player and deliver a dangerous cross. Whilst he’s done a bit of all three this season, I’m struggling to come up with one example of him combining all three at one time this season. Most wingers would probably be looking to manage that feat between 3-4 times per game at professional level, so he’s got some work to do before Saturday that’s for sure.

You also have to question the defending - one bloke up from on his own against 2 centre backs and he has all the space in the world!!

Thinking about it, that’s a really good point. He seemed to drift past Dieng like he wasn’t even there, and the guy definitely wasn’t that quick! To be fair to Dieng, he probably wasn’t expecting the ball to be given away so cheaply in the first place.I can’t even put into words how annoyed I am with the marking for the first goal either...

I am glad people are talking about this. I have found it very tough myself and actually I have noticed that things have got far worse for me since the football season restarted. It's very hard to take the constant let downs from the club and there seems to be no prospect of anything getting better any time soon. The football is meant to be an enjoyable escape from the realities of life but to be honest especially with having to watch games on the computer at home without mates (tier 2 problems) to bounce things off, it is hard. Normally you'd let off a bit of steam in the pub and be laughing again by 5.30pm. Now, you close the laptop after another depressing defeat and it's back to reality.

I am glad people are talking about this. I have found it very tough myself and actually I have noticed that things have got far worse for me since the football season restarted. It's very hard to take the constant let downs from the club and there seems to be no prospect of anything getting better any time soon. The football is meant to be an enjoyable escape from the realities of life but to be honest especially with having to watch games on the computer at home without mates (tier 2 problems) to bounce things off, it is hard. Normally you'd let off a bit of steam in the pub and be laughing again by 5.30pm. Now, you close the laptop after another depressing defeat and it's back to reality.
Exactly, so many of us are struggling with this. I am lucky that I have the support of my wife but there are a lot of our fans who must feel isolated. I miss that butterfly feeling in my stomach going to the game. I miss walking to the ground with my Dad. This isn’t normal and It is a struggle. This club means a lot to all of us and it really does act as a buffer against the horrible things in life. Here’s to some light and positive moments soon and when we can all get back together in the ground!

I agree, people should talk about mental health, it's a horrible thing when it hits you. Things will turn to normal one day, we just need to stay positive, keep talking and believe in the future. Look after yourself first and foremost..

First game was 1967 Stockport at home thought the low point was under Anton Johnson and Bobby Moore in the early 80s but this is a whole lot worse, but this is what happens when you have a chairman who is also a property developer. As i have always said we are simply a vehicle to enable him to build houses/flats

Because with Ron in charge we can't flourish and will no doubt go bust anyway.

At least we can build a club with fans owning it. I'm sure Wimbledon felt the same when their club was taken and now they wouldn't change it for the world.

I'm sure Bury and Macclesfield fans feel the same, but where are they now? Where are the Phoenix clubs for them....?

I'm sure Bury and Macclesfield fans feel the same, but where are they now? Where are the Phoenix clubs for them....?

I think Bury have started negotiations to entering in a lower league. Macclesfield can't because they were only kicked out at the start of the season. I'm sure Bury will be back soon.

I can relate very well to what you talking about as since 2001 i have suffered from depression ,was diagnosed as a manic depressant back then ,but have fought with it hard and slowly winning the battle. This pandemic not helping very much and y football team not helping matters either .Anyway seems our last 2 goals we have scored both been scored by our Left Backs Ralph and now Clifford. We truly are terrible team now.

I can relate very well to what you talking about as since 2001 i have suffered from depression ,was diagnosed as a manic depressant back then ,but have fought with it hard and slowly winning the battle. This pandemic not helping very much and y football team not helping matters either .Anyway seems our last 2 goals we have scored both been scored by our Left Backs Ralph and now Clifford. We truly are terrible team now.
sorry to hear all that mate. Stay strong

I think Bury have started negotiations to entering in a lower league. Macclesfield can't because they were only kicked out at the start of the season. I'm sure Bury will be back soon.

I hope Bury are back, presumably at the bottom of the pyramid, they are a club with a long and proud history and it's a disgrace that a community should have to lose their football club in the circumstances that killed Bury. So much for the great football family that the FA and EFL like to talk about. Is Southend United next......?

Macclesfields assets were recently purchased by a local business chap & he’s hoping to enter them in 9th tier of the pyramid next season via the North West Counties league under a new name

I hope Bury are back, presumably at the bottom of the pyramid, they are a club with a long and proud history and it's a disgrace that a community should have to lose their football club in the circumstances that killed Bury. So much for the great football family that the FA and EFL like to talk about. Is Southend United next......?
I think there will be far more clubs
- the odd instances of Wigan I don't think we have heard the end of either, something very suspect there

I think we're all suffering right now with this crazy world (so much uncertainty). Football is a lot of peoples world and it's been taken away from them. Just be kind right now, you don't know how much people are suffering in silence.

Mods, could we have a thingy for mental health, for people who want to talk about it? It seems a good idea.

Back