• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Luton Town

What's your starting 11 for Saturday

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 133 93.0%
  • Ted Smith

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 135 94.4%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 125 87.4%
  • John White

Votes: 123 86.0%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 136 95.1%
  • Stephen Hendrie

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 137 95.8%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 104 72.7%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 133 93.0%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Sam Mantom

• Michael Kightly

• Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Bunn

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Simon Cox

• Stephen Humphrys

• Theo Robinson

• Charlie Kelman

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Amadou Ba

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The one guy who was in the ticket office on his own this morning with no other customers has not sold "over 1000 tickets" today !!! :Winking:

Maybe those stats are not ever so reliable.

Should be a good crowd though.

Nor would he see the online purchases. That same lone gentleman in the ticket office told me on Friday we had only sold 200 for Bradford. There was a damn site more there than that .... and yes I was there Mick

Hypo Typo

I went to Bradford and Yes it was a special special performance. A honour to be there.!!
It was Hyam best performance in a Southend shirt.
I personally would keep the same starting 11. However I can see the argument for Dru, with his fast runs replacing Hyam, at home. Tough call for SCP to make.
The other point I would like to make about Saturday despite the obvious MOM Humpries, Turner how good he is with 3 centre backs. His lack of pace was not eveident.
4 Nil to the Super Blues.

Slaphead.

I know you went. You sat on same coach as me LOL :Smile::Smile2::Thumbs up:

Hypo Typo

I went to Bradford and Yes it was a special special performance. A honour to be there.!!
It was Hyam best performance in a Southend shirt.
I personally would keep the same starting 11. However I can see the argument for Dru, with his fast runs replacing Hyam, at home. Tough call for SCP to make.
The other point I would like to make about Saturday despite the obvious MOM Humpries, Turner how good he is with 3 centre backs. His lack of pace was not eveident.
4 Nil to the Super Blues.

Slaphead.

Also, point taken but don't try it this week against hatters being my point :Thumbs up:

The one guy who was in the ticket office on his own this morning with no other customers has not sold "over 1000 tickets" today !!! :Winking:

Maybe those stats are not ever so reliable.

Should be a good crowd though.

They may well have sold a few hundred on line. I picked up 4 tickets today and there were none left in the reds and a few singles in the greens. I would guess about 100 in the blacks.

If anyone doesn't fancy this one they need to take a long honest look in a mirror.

Strange analogy there with R&D....there demise was simply down to geographical area.....I.e no support base......anyway before I get slaughtered for coming on your board, here’s to a good game, btw where’s the best place to park, and best pub for a bit of grub?

Strange analogy there with R&D....there demise was simply down to geographical area.....I.e no support base......anyway before I get slaughtered for coming on your board, here’s to a good game, btw where’s the best place to park, and best pub for a bit of grub?
Would suggest you park near the town opposite library for £3 only 10 mins from ground ,Weatherspon are in the town.Alternative you can park at Southend High School for £5 just a short walk to the ground although no decent pubs.

The Blue Boar on the corner of Victoria Ave and West Road is designated away supporters only on match days. Its right outside the ground so little trouble getting to the ground on time. I have no idea whether the food and beer are ok though. As Maldon says the car park opposite the library or the one in the Civic Centre are your best chances of a space. Failing that the side streets around the ground may provide parking or the High School.

The Blue Boar on the corner of Victoria Ave and West Road is designated away supporters only on match days. Its right outside the ground so little trouble getting to the ground on time. .
pub
With 2,000 fans coming to the game, you'll be queuing half way up Vic Ave to get in, as it's a very small pub.
Maybe The Saxon King, 5 mins walk from Priory Park, which is adjacent from the end you'll be situated in.
Otherwise, it's the town centre ( Wetherspoons being the largest pub ) or the seafront?.

Here’s to good game then mate....to be honest most at Luton are more excited about the final decision that’s due from the council in the next month that rubber stamps our new ground........that will be the biggest thing for our club in a hundred years, no disrespect , win , lose, draw on Saturday, pales into insignificance to this news.......

We unfortunately have been waiting over twenty years for our new stadium, as you know both our stadiums are well passed there sell by dates, but both still have their quirks and history.

Southend United submitted plans for our move to a new 22,000 all seater stadium at Fossetts Farm back in 2004, Our Borough Council passed the plans in 2007, only for the Government to call the plans in for a Public Enquiry due to its size, This was held and fortunately this went in our favour and the plans were approved.

Since then we have had various amended plans and development partners etc, and to be honest a lot of us got bored with all the broken promises of a new stadium .

Then in 2017 the club submitted further revised and expanded plans which includes a 21,000 seater stadium, training ground with 4 full size training pitches and training complex, two Domes with indoor training pitches (Ex David Beckham academy which we have already purchased and are on site) , a large Public Plaza, a Hilton Hotel with 107 rooms, 12 screen multiplex Cinema including IMAX screen, large retail development, food outlets and Restaurants, 848 flats and homes, plus all the necessary car/coach parking and services.

The club have been liaising with the council since these new plans that were submitted in April 2017. Due to their large scale there are may things to be looked at, investigated, and possibly amended before they bring these new plans before the Development Control Committee for a decision. Unfortunately no one at the moment knows when/if this will happen.

Once/when/if the stadium is eventually gets built and the club moved in, Roots Hall would be developed with a further 472 new homes planned.

B&B's will be chocker-block….based on Trainline...a 20.00 departure from the land of sunshine and a very long pier, will get you back to the land of darkness approx. 09.53 the following day..:Dizzy:

I really hope we do a number on Luton.

I really don't like there fans, many of whom appear to think they are some kind of millwall.

Last time they visited they caused loads of bother and I would expect the usual boys on both sides will be out in force again.

I have also never visited any other place in the UK that literally doesn't feel like the UK. Quite an odd feeling that.

That said I respect their support of their club and numbers they travel in.

I think it will be a decent game Saturday and one which may prove a turning point in our season.

Looking forward to it.

I'm probably in a weird minority but I much prefer visiting quirky grounds with character like Kenilworth Road, Layer Road or Cold Blow Lane, to name but three, than the soulless Meccano erections that are replacing/have replaced them now. It is always a novel experience to enter Luton's ground through someone's front room, I doubt their new place will have such "atmosphere".

Probably the only new ground I visited that had it's own similar quirky charm was Nene Park, and look what happened to that.

It is, in my view, a sad financial fact of the modern game that in not too many years all such grounds will just be a fading memory.

We'll probably still be at Roots Hall though.

Back